Oculus Developer Forums

Is anyone working on Linux support?

A forum to discuss development for the Oculus Rift.

Is anyone working on Linux support?

Postby dtavares » Wed May 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi people.

One thing I saw in this forum that looked very promising was some people are already trying to give the Oculus some "mobility" developing Apps for Android. One other thing I was looking for was development made in Linux platforms. I haven't seen anything yet (at least the search engine did not show me anything). I'd like to know if someone is already working with the Oculus on Linux? If yes, are you using Ogre? Blender?

Thank you in advance for any help. ;-)

This is what I'd like to contribute for the Oculus community. In this matter, I'd also like to know if in trying to give the Oculus Linux support I'm not breaking any rules. I read the EULA very fast so I'm not sure if this kind of development would be allowed. Thank you in advance for any help.

Best reagards,
Dalton.
dtavares

Re: Is anyone working on Linux support?

Postby ThibG » Wed May 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Yes, some are working on this.
See OpenHMD or LibVR.
Those are libs built from the ground up, they do not use the SDK, although one has to be careful not using the original SDK's code in any way (see “Legal” in LibVR's README).

You could still work with the Oculus SDK if the license doesn't bother you. It's not compatible with GNU/Linux yet, but adding support should not be too difficult, and the licenses allows you to do this. Furthermore, Linux support is actually planned in a later official Oculus SDK release.
ThibG

Postby cybereality » Fri May 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Yes. We do have official Linux support on the road-map. Not sure when it will be ready, though.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby jjrh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:59 am

cybereality wrote:Yes. We do have official Linux support on the road-map. Not sure when it will be ready, though.

Under what license though?
jjrh

Postby dtavares » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:09 pm

ThibG wrote:Yes, some are working on this.
See OpenHMD or LibVR.
Those are libs built from the ground up, they do not use the SDK, although one has to be careful not using the original SDK's code in any way (see “Legal” in LibVR's README).

You could still work with the Oculus SDK if the license doesn't bother you. It's not compatible with GNU/Linux yet, but adding support should not be too difficult, and the licenses allows you to do this. Furthermore, Linux support is actually planned in a later official Oculus SDK release.

Hi! Thank you! I'll try them. Regarding the "Legal" in LibVR's README, that's why I was thinking about open source projects. I'm not sure, but maybe we can achieve improved performance with Linux and OculsVR for a modest configuration. Anyway, I'm trying my DK right now and I'm really impressed. Amazing technology.
dtavares

Postby JamesMcCrae » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:54 am

Don't know if you came across my project yet, but I'm focusing on Rift development with Linux and OpenGL (and sharing all the source code along the way):

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1309
http://www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mccrae/projects/firebox/

It's a work in progress, but an example of the pieces needed for Rift development already working together. (And as a longer-term goal, would want my "RiftRenderer" class handle the tedious parts of making Rift-compatible programs using OpenGL - having to poll sensors and dealing with distortions would be abstracted away, the class interface would have simple methods - e.g., initialize, render left, render right, render out). In the future I would like to use the Oculus SDK directly (and hopefully compiling the library with GCC will not be painful by then ;) )
JamesMcCrae

Postby Harley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:57 am

Harley

Return to Oculus General Development