Oculus Developer Forums

GTA 4 First Person Mod + Oculus?

A forum to discuss development for the Oculus Rift.

GTA 4 First Person Mod + Oculus?

Postby Cryptoman13 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:51 pm

Can this be done? I know GTA is on the RAGE engine, and I also know that there are mods for it, but can the Rift be integrated into it?
Cryptoman13

Re: GTA 4 First Person Mod + Oculus?

Postby sebastianp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I can't believe no one has tried this yet, Hope it works!
sebastianp

Postby storelyckan3 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:05 am

This game must be prior 1 for modders :)
|Windows 8 Proo 64bit |CPU : Intel i73770k - 4 HT x 3.4GHz | MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LX2 | Cooler:Corsair H80i with fans Noctua NF-F12 PWM |RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8192MB) CL9 VENGEANCE | GPU : ASUS GeForce GTX 680 2048MB DirectCUII TOP
storelyckan3

Postby lamamanx » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:28 pm

The Tridef drivers work but.... you can't use any mods... which means no first person view :(
lamamanx

Postby Scottymate » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:56 am

This is one of the first mods I searched for when looking for Rift compatible games. The 1st person mod is already amazing, and being able to walk and drive around Liberty City in the Rift? It would be incredible.
Scottymate

Postby lamamanx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 am

GTA 4 does work with Tridef drivers. But I am unable to get first person mod working with the Tridef.

I am using GTA 4 1.0.4.
lamamanx

Postby willy121 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 am

willy121

Postby Sharpfish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:43 am

this would be a great thing to see! Lots of detail and an already immersive 'living city' - inside OR? yes please! :mrgreen:
Hitler reacts to Facebook buying Oculus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbmZTANzKsE
Sharpfish

Postby chrisskates » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm actually playing this game and it works very well with the first person mod. There is a post about it on the /r/oculus sub. Follow the directions HERE:http://mn.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1ky4rl/gta_iv_on_oculus_rift_tridef_3d_first_person_mod/

Works very well... someone just needs to mod the minimap to show in the middle and decouple the crosshair in first person with the 360 controller. But it's very playable as is and is a hell of alot of fun.
chrisskates

Postby C06alt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi All

I created the Firstperson mod for GTA IV and after a fellow Rift user let me know it was fun to use the fp mod with the Rift It peaked my interest so now I intend to attempt to make it work as well as possible in the near future As my order is now processing.

Having already been a 3Dvision user i'm aware of the issues with 3D crosshairs so that will be one of my fixes.

If GTA 5 comes to pc and is moddable I would like to intend support for that also. :D
C06alt

Postby Cylonsurfer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:56 am

Are you still planning on updating your FP mod?

I'm using the mod at the moment with the Rift and it is amazing! I have modded the HUD so that "most" of the hud items are visible on the Rift. There may be a few items which appear off screen, but most such as the mini map, cash, help, wanted level and ammo should be in a viewable position (if not the most ideal). If you would like to try my settings you'll need to overwrite your 'HUD.DAT' file located in 'Common\Data' with the following file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/m7odrv

I haven't been able to move the 'in mission' text (updates your mission objective) and most importantly the in game cell phone. Due to this I'm using the VORPX driver which has the edge peek function so I can glance across to the phone when it is required. That said, if anyone knows a way to reposition the in game phone ( I'm thinking the middle of the bottom of the screen) I'd love to hear about it. Again, if anyone makes any improvements to the settings it would be great to hear about them :)

Thanks again for your awesome mod!
Cylonsurfer

Postby davidmi58 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:10 pm

This is great news! I have been playing w/GTA and the FPM for a couple of weeks and, other than the problems I am having keeping the framerate high enough, it has such great potential. So many details that I did not see playing on a regular monitor. I have tried this game both with Tridef and Vorpx. Currently, I have been playing it with Vorpx. On my system, Vorpx is just plain faster than Tridef in geometry 3D. Also, edgepeek is a great feature. Tridef does work, though. In GTA, I really miss the lack of the Tridef laser site that is missing on Vorpx, currently.
You must make sure you remove any enb/sweetfx/injector .dll's you may be using in GTA IV. They don't work with either wrapper as far as I can tell.

@C06alt-Your FPM is the best! I used it when I played the game on a regular monitor but in the Rift, it is a whole different ballgame. I would anxiously await any Rift mod you can do on it. Thanks for your work and your interest in the Rift.

@Cylonsurfer-I will be trying your HUD mod right away. The only thing that really keeps me from trying to play this game in the Rift is not being able to see the HUD, esp. the minimap. I can't wait to give it a go. Thanks for your hard work!
davidmi58

Postby Cylonsurfer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:18 am

GTA IV is really a beast to run in Geo mode 3D, most games run fine on my GTX580, however with the Rift you really need to keep a constant 60+ FPS. Which as you said is very hard to manage. I currently have my settings toned down quite a bit and still get the odd drop in frame rate, I guess it really is a bad port! I currently run it on medium textures, 1280x800 with everything else on low or off. TBH, I noticed that Tridef shows the game at 75FPS on my current settings, VORPX its around 60, if it wasn't for edge peek I think I'd go Tridef on this one.

That said I find the game very enjoyable with the First Person mod / Rift, you do indeed notice a lot more detail, and it shows just how R* made the world seem so alive!!

I've still not been able to figure out how to reposition the in game cell phone, but I have some ideas.... If I can, I'll try and clean up the general placement of the other HUD items and optimize things the best I can, while playing I noticed a few things which need a little more tweaking!
Cylonsurfer

Postby C06alt » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 pm

I finally got gtaiv reinstalled so I will be doing some sort of update soon to make it more rift compatible.
One thing I noticed is the lack of neck simulation so thats one thing needs fixing and should prevent the headless horseman effect.
Built in rift head tracking would be a good thing and also eflc weapon support which is long overdue.

@Clonesurfer good job with that hud ill check that out. I thought I saw some sort of cellphone positioning code somewhere but I'm not sure , its been a long time. I will keep an eye out for it.

On a side note, in FirstPerson.ini in addition to setting ForwardFov and RearFov to 111 the setting FootFovMod is best set to 66 as its added to another value in script which unless your aiming is 45 so it adds to a grand total of 111 degrees for your normal walking around field of view.
I also suggest setting automatic recenter off.

ForwardFOV = 111
RearFOV = 111
FootFovMod = 66
AutoCenterLR = 0
AutoCenterUD = 0
C06alt

Postby Cylonsurfer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:59 am

@C06alt - That's fantastic news! Once my HUD settings are complete you are very welcome to include them in your FP Mod. I have run into a few minor bugs while using your mod, nothing major and I'm sure you are already aware of them but I'll list them below just in case:

- While completing some missions (The package drops for Little Jacob in particular) you seem to get thrown from 1stp POV to a strange POV which is hard to get out of or see whats going on. This usually happens when you get 'Jumped' by a number of shooters, often resulting in you getting shot to death while you try and get the game back to a playable POV. The very first LJ mission is also a good example of this issue, the one where you have to provide cover fire.

- Prostitution, while indulging in the "premium" service... the female player model clips through Niko / the camera a lot, any chance you could script the camera to move back a little during this action?

I work on my own First Person Mod for Skyrim, 'The Joy of Perspective' so I know how hard and time consuming making such game modifications can be! Believe me, your mod is more bug free than mine :) !!

"@Clonesurfer good job with that hud ill check that out. I thought I saw some sort of cellphone positioning code somewhere but I'm not sure , its been a long time. I will keep an eye out for it."

If you do I'd be really appreciative, I have spent a lot of time looking but I cannot figure out how to move this element of the game to a more Oculus friendly position. I have placed requests for help with this particular issue on other sites, no luck so far.

I have made some minor changes to my HUD modification which fixes a few minor placement issues and places the street names, districts, car types as well as the 'in mission' text in a readable location on the screen. I need to make a few more tweaks but after I have I'll upload the new version (hopefully sometime today).

If anyone has any feedback (good or bad) it would be greatly appreciated.
Cylonsurfer

Postby Cylonsurfer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:20 pm

As promised here is a link to the new version. Many improvements over the last version including:

- Better positioning / larger Wanted Level Stars for better visibility
- Larger Ammo / Cash icons for better visibility
- Street / District Names are now viewable
- Mission Objective text now viewable
- In-Car Radio Station icons now viewable
- Minor position improvements to other HUD objects

Download here: http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=25119

Installation:
Extract archive and then place the files in 'Data\Common' overwriting all files when prompted (Don't forget to backup the originals for non-Rift play!).

I have found the following 'FirstPerson.ini' settings give the best results: (FOV 110 seems a little high)

ForwardFOV = 90
RearFOV = 90
AutoCenterLR = 0
AutoCenterUD = 0
FootFovMod = 45
FPDriveBy = 1
FPMelee = 1
FPCover = 1

Enjoy!
Last edited by Cylonsurfer on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cylonsurfer

Postby Kra » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm

I've been playing around with the FP mod (someone else modified version of C06alt's to work with Steam's 1.0.7.0) in anticipation of getting my Rift shortly.

Mentioning the phone, I'm pretty sure I don't have any other mods running, but I noticed if you look down at the one Niko is physically holding, the screen updates the same as the UI. In fact it made me want to remove the 2D UI one.

Looking forward to trying your HUD mods Cylon, but actual Rift testing (for me) won't start for maybe another couple of weeks.
Last edited by Kra on Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kra

Postby C06alt » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:06 am

@Cylonsurfer gj

@Kra Its true what you say but without higher definition rifts it might be to hard to read it.
Good news is there seems to be a native script command to position the phone on screen so ill check that out.

I have a strange problem at the moment with gtaiv and was wondering if anyone else noticed this.
If I start the game with no mods no tridef no vorpx total vanilla, when I get to the first in game full screen menu with a mouse the Rift seems to enable head tracking and takes control of the mouse by its self.
And continuing on into the game it still emulates the mouse until I close the game.
Has anyone else noticed this or have any info on it or how to disable this unwanted behaviour?
C06alt

Postby Kra » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:21 am

C06alt wrote:@Kra Its true what you say but without higher definition rifts it might be to hard to read it.
Good news is there seems to be a native script command to position the phone on screen so ill check that out.

Ahh yes, of course. I keep forgetting these things, as I mentioned I don't yet have those insights. But I'll be happy to help test when mine arrives.

In fact looking at it in game just then is what brought me back to this thread, he moves his hand around way too much. It'd be annoying at best, to track it I'd guess.
Kra

Postby Cylonsurfer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:41 pm

C06alt wrote:I have a strange problem at the moment with gtaiv and was wondering if anyone else noticed this.
If I start the game with no mods no tridef no vorpx total vanilla, when I get to the first in game full screen menu with a mouse the Rift seems to enable head tracking and takes control of the mouse by its self.
And continuing on into the game it still emulates the mouse until I close the game.
Has anyone else noticed this or have any info on it or how to disable this unwanted behaviour?

I've not come across this issue myself. Good news about the phone stuff :)
Cylonsurfer

Next

Return to Oculus General Development