Oculus Developer Forums

Any news on shipping for international backers?

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Re: Any news on shipping for international backers?

Postby nated066 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:49 pm

kurry wrote:
KBK wrote:Then they might consider offering Canadians the opportunity to try EMS shipping direct from Asia. For an expected $40 extra.

As I'm not waiting to be the last person in the fucking world to receive a rift due to US customs when I'm in a different country.

I just inquired about the option of using EMS for Canadian shipping and received this reply :(

"Hello

We understand the eagerness to receive the Rift.

Our units are sent in batches, not individually. This is done in order to keep shipping costs down.

A good idea of what occurs, and why, can be found on this forum post:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=103&p=1741#p1741"

Oh well it was worth a shot ;)

We'll get it when we get it, and when we do it will be like xmas times one million.
nated066

Postby HappyHimitsu » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:07 pm

kurry wrote:
KBK wrote:Then they might consider offering Canadians the opportunity to try EMS shipping direct from Asia. For an expected $40 extra.

As I'm not waiting to be the last person in the fucking world to receive a rift due to US customs when I'm in a different country.

I just inquired about the option of using EMS for Canadian shipping and received this reply :(

"Hello

Our units are sent in batches, not individually. This is done in order to keep shipping costs down.

Yep, and we are asking them to do things differently for Canadians because obviously things have gone wrong on their end.
You never expected Oculus to give in so easily did you? :lol: How much effort did it take for us to get a shipping thread? :D
~A stone rolls not off the path of it's own accord~ -JT
~Let go or be dragged~ -Zen
'Be Wary of Geeks bearing Gifts....' -trojan/win32.war
HappyHimitsu

Postby kurry » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 pm

HappyHimitsu wrote:
kurry wrote:

"Hello

Yep, and we are asking them to do things differently for Canadians because obviously things have gone wrong on their end.
You never expected Oculus to give in so easily did you? :lol: How much effort did it take for us to get a shipping thread? :D

Nope, but it can't hurt trying right? :mrgreen:
kurry

Postby KBK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Actually, none of that is true. They CAN put is into the bin for Asian shipping, and they are using EMS. They create an item in their store. A 'Canadian' item. It costs $40

We buy the item.

Then they send our shipping address to the Asian batching system and take it out of the North American system.

It becomes a question of them wanting to do it or not.

The "can't" they have uttered...is actually a "won't".

Edit: I can understand the won't, though, as it does complicate things and once you add in steps like that, it leaves the door open for mistakes. Besides all the time required to get it done.
Last edited by KBK on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
KBK

Postby dominicwa » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:22 pm

FYI Australians... cybereality replied to my PM...

Hiya,

Really pleased to see the official shipping thread. Thanks for that. Looks like you explained the EU/US situ. Can you provide an update on other regions asap too please? E.g. Australia.

Are these customs issues in the US causing delays to our region or are we simply next in line (region-wise) and waiting for enough Rifts to fill a box?

Cheers, Dominic.

Reply...

We are shipping normally to regions outside NA.

You will just have to wait for the next Australian batch, but it probably won't be too much longer.

Thanks.

This bought some additional patience from me... or maybe I'm just in a happy mood today :)
Calico | Health and Wellness technology. | http://mycalico.com
Learn in VR | Education without real world limits. | http://learninvr.org
dominicwa

Postby KBK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 pm

KBK wrote:Actually, none of that is true. They CAN put is into the bin for Asian shipping, and they are using EMS. They create an item in their store. A 'Canadian' item. It costs $40

We buy the item.

Then they send our shipping address to the Asian batching system and take it out of the North American system.

It becomes a question of them wanting to do it or not.

The "can't" they have uttered...is actually a "won't".

Edit: I can understand the won't, though, as it does complicate things and once you add in steps like that, it leaves the door open for mistakes. Besides all the time required to get it done.

The other part is that it can give a wind direction to speculation. Let's say they try it. This means they might not expect US shipments to clear for quite some time. If they say no, which is the case, this can mean they expect the US situation to clear up some in some time period that is less than 10 days. In reality, there's nothing to read there. But people might do so anyway.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
KBK

Postby HappyHimitsu » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 pm

kurry wrote:Nope, but it can't hurt trying right? :mrgreen:

Not at all, my posts intent was actually to suggest that we try harder. :P

@KBK, How much can Oculus really know at this point? Now that we've had confirmation that they really are floundering a bit as they acclimate to these new waters, I'm not sure whether they are capable of making an accurate prediction or not.
We already know that they are still running on a limited amount of logistical know-how, the question is just how underdeveloped are they really?
How many times can we stand to hear 'hopefully in 1-2 weeks time'?
As you are saying, if they really wanted to they could get us our product in a somewhat timely manner.
Given the fact we offered to pony up the difference I would think they should. Those are our devices sitting there collecting dust after all.

Can you please make these suggestions a serious consideration Oculus? We want our Rifts now, the weeks are ticking by as our expectations are smashed repeatedly into the ground, and it hardly seems right that we Canadians are being screwed because of a shipping problem with a different country.
How long are you willing to make us all wait before taking a different approach? Another month? 2 more months? More?
It would be only proper that you could answer at least this much.
Thankyou.
~A stone rolls not off the path of it's own accord~ -JT
~Let go or be dragged~ -Zen
'Be Wary of Geeks bearing Gifts....' -trojan/win32.war
HappyHimitsu

Postby deadeye01 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:47 am

Can anyone from the UK give some information about any tax / import duty they had to pay ?
deadeye01

Postby PiperAlpha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:55 am

deadeye01 wrote:Can anyone from the UK give some information about any tax / import duty they had to pay ?

I've not received mine yet but have asked the same question to several UK backers and none of them have had to pay or had issues with import tax etc. Hopefully this will be the same for us. Order number 507**
PiperAlpha- Order #: 507** - Location: UK East Yorkshire - Status: PROCESSING since July 24th, 2013
Patiently waiting and creating my desktop folder of all things Oculus
PiperAlpha

Postby Rocket » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:13 am

dominicwa wrote:FYI Australians... cybereality replied to my PM...

Hiya,

Really pleased to see the official shipping thread. Thanks for that. Looks like you explained the EU/US situ. Can you provide an update on other regions asap too please? E.g. Australia.

Are these customs issues in the US causing delays to our region or are we simply next in line (region-wise) and waiting for enough Rifts to fill a box?

Cheers, Dominic.

Reply...

We are shipping normally to regions outside NA.

You will just have to wait for the next Australian batch, but it probably won't be too much longer.

Thanks.

This bought some additional patience from me... or maybe I'm just in a happy mood today :)

Awesome news!
Rocket

Postby mdk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:48 am

I'm rather pissed off about the whole shippig situation. Not because it's taking so long, but because Oculus hasn't bothered to make a shipping update on the blog in ages. One would think that after securing 16 million in funds Oculus has the money to pay someone to write a shipping update on the blog maybe twice a month. The lack of information is just horrible.
mdk

Postby Rambowjo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 am

mdk wrote:I'm rather pissed off about the whole shippig situation. Not because it's taking so long, but because Oculus hasn't bothered to make a shipping update on the blog in ages. One would think that after securing 16 million in funds Oculus has the money to pay someone to write a shipping update on the blog maybe twice a month. The lack of information is just horrible.

Yes they have :D?
Rambowjo

Postby mdk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 am

Rambowjo wrote:
mdk wrote:I'm rather pissed off about the whole shippig situation. Not because it's taking so long, but because Oculus hasn't bothered to make a shipping update on the blog in ages. One would think that after securing 16 million in funds Oculus has the money to pay someone to write a shipping update on the blog maybe twice a month. The lack of information is just horrible.

Yes they have :D?

Do you mean that they have done a shipping update recently? If so can you link it please. I can't find it anywhere.
mdk

Postby LaurentMT » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:59 am

mdk wrote:Do you mean that they have done a shipping update recently? If so can you link it please. I can't find it anywhere.

Here it is.
LaurentMT

Postby Magro28 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:54 am

Hi,
anyone of the last "Your order will be advancing to "Processing" status in the next 24 to 48 hours."-Email actually got the status update to processing? Its now 47.5h later but no change yet. Perhaps I'm a little bit paranoid... :mrgreen:

Greetings from Germany
Magro28

Postby Shockbolt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Magro28 wrote:Hi,
anyone of the last "Your order will be advancing to "Processing" status in the next 24 to 48 hours."-Email actually got the status update to processing? Its now 47.5h later but no change yet. Perhaps I'm a little bit paranoid... :mrgreen:

Greetings from Germany

*neutral*

You are not alone. I think Oculus panicked from all the forum/reddit flaming and in the process sent out e-mail shipping updates to a bunch of people, but we'll see. :|
Shockbolt

Postby BenKaniobi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Magro28 wrote:Hi,

Greetings from Germany

Yep, my status just changed to "Processing". I'm from Switzerland, so I guess the next batch comes to Europe :lol:
BenKaniobi

Postby Ibrinar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Switched in the last few hours for me. (*geez* people really have become a bit paranoid. Though I checked several times since I got the mail^^)
Ibrinar

Postby oegie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Same with me. 464xx to germany is processing nicely. :-)
oegie

Postby Magro28 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeah :) All is good. It switched to processing some minutes ago and I got my TF2-Hat and the Unity Pro Trial :)
Magro28

PreviousNext

Return to Oculus General Discussion