Oculus Developer Forums

Any news on shipping for international backers?

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Re: Any news on shipping for international backers?

Postby RaveTZ » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:42 am

People in the USA are having just as much difficulty getting shipping information. :p

Throw us a bone Oculus.
VFX-1, 3D Vision Z800, Vuzix Wrap 920, Sony HMZ-T1, Oculus Rift Dev
RaveTZ

Postby edulinares » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:03 am

This thread got too big too fast, we had an update yesterday, it isn`t likely much has changed since then. Just be a little more patient. It`s okay to complaint, still let`s just be reasonable here.
edulinares

Postby jaredu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Eagerly awaiting my Oculus; Not worried at all about the shipping time though. As someone else said; I'm nearly to the point of strapping a kleenex box on my head to keep my sanity, but as I just recently placed my order; I have no room to complain, haha.

You guys are doing a fantastic job; and the project's come amazingly far. With all of the TF2 demos and such I'm sure people are getting antsy, but patience is definitely a skill.

Keep up the awesome work and props for optimizing the shipping for future orders. :)
jaredu

Postby nmitchell » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 pm

TL;DR - International orders are shipping, just a little slower than North American orders. Unfortunately, we don’t have accurate delivery estimates because there are so many variables (see below), but rest assured, they are coming. If you’re looking for a detailed estimate of when you’ll receive your kit, we don’t have one for you yet (sorry!), but remember that we’re shipping 1,000 - 1,500 kits a week.

All right -- Let's break down where we're at with international shipping:

1. So far we've shipped a couple hundred international orders. Some of those have already arrived.

2. We’re shipping 1,000 - 1,500 units a week right now. Each week, we ship the majority of the units to a different region (see below). We started with North America, that’s why more NA backers have kits.

3. 1,000+ units will be shipped to Europe and Asia over the next few weeks.

4. We're setting up a top-notch international fulfillment network so that we can speed up deliveries and lower shipping/duty/tax costs for backers.

5. We're now including tracking information for shipping orders at http://www.oculusvr.com/sales. If your order has been shipped, you can login to see your tracking number.

Right now, the main bottleneck is the number of units coming off the line at the factory. We don't have a huge stock of units sitting in our warehouse waiting to ship out. As soon as we have enough units ready to ship a large batch, they ship out the same day.

Once a batch is ready, the next step is actually getting them from the factory to your doorstep. And that’s when shipping development kits internationally starts to get tricky. The proper way to ship internationally is to ship large quantities (1,000+) to different continents (Americas, EU, Asia) for local distribution, thereby significantly reducing the overall shipping cost per unit.

Why is this important? Cost and speed. An example: shipping one dev kit from our factory to Germany costs more than $125. Instead, we can ship 1,000 dev kits to Europe via air as a single ‘batch’ and that costs roughly $20 per unit, plus another ~$15 from our European warehouse to your European doorstep. The single batch way is also faster because it clears customs more quickly.

In contrast, let's pretend we fulfill all the orders using FedEx from Oculus HQ. It would cost $100 - $200 for us to ship a single dev kit from California to Europe/Asia, depending on where it's headed. For example, it costs roughly $100 to ship from Oculus HQ to Buckingham Palace, UK, 6-8 day delivery, plus the cost of shipping from the factory to Oculus HQ. You can see that if we did this for every international unit, we'd burn through a lot of money very quickly.

Unfortunately, shipping directly from the factory to backers is just as expensive (~$125+) and even slower. We experimented with shipping a few dozen units from China and they were held in customs for almost two weeks.

We have a great logistics team on board now, but they walked into the logistical storm that we'd already created with the Kickstarter (Sorry, Oculus logistics team!). We're moving as quickly as we can to put a more streamlined system in place so that kits are flying out to developers faster and faster.

Thanks again for the patience and support. Sorry for the wait. We’re on it!

-- Nate
nmitchell
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby mihalski » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Thank you for the detailed update.

It's just as I (and I'm sure many others) had expected. The devil is very much in the detail.

Regards,
Michal
mihalski

Postby edulinares » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Nate, thanks for the update. Still it was quite a blow. See, my order is in the 46.000`s. If shippings are to continue in the 1000`s, does this mean a wait of 46 weeks, roughly 12 motnhs? A full year? By then it`s very likely the consumer version is already out or about to launch.

It seems obvious that 1000 units per week is not a satisfactory output. Or is this number going to improve in the coming weeks?
edulinares

Postby jasonh » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Oh, I guess I misread or saw a misquote that 1500 a day were going out. I wont be betting mine for 10 weeks then, having just ordered.

Actually, the order page still says expected delivery in May. Is that possible at only 1500/week and orders received?
Last edited by jasonh on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonh

Postby sheepa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Quick question, will you also mail the tracking number or a notification that tracking is available once the unit have shipped? Would be great so I don't have to keep checking the sales pages every hour. :lol:
sheepa

Postby NegativeCamber » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 pm

edulinares wrote:Nate, thanks for the update. Still it was quite a blow. See, my order is in the 46.000`s. If shippings are to continue in the 1000`s, does this mean a wait of 46 weeks, roughly 12 motnhs? A full year? By then it`s very likely the consumer version is already out or about to launch.

It seems obvious that 1000 units per week is not a satisfactory output. Or is this number going to improve in the coming weeks?

The order numbers are only partially sequential with large jumps. I doubt there's anywhere near 46,000 orders placed, maybe 10,000 - 15,000
NegativeCamber

Postby Farox » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi Nate,

thanks a lot for giving some info whats going on on your side!
Farox

Postby chillemi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 pm

That sort of info should definitely be sent out to backers or stickied in the forum.
chillemi

Postby RedWorm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 pm

edulinares wrote:Nate, thanks for the update. Still it was quite a blow. See, my order is in the 46.000`s. If shippings are to continue in the 1000`s, does this mean a wait of 46 weeks, roughly 12 motnhs? A full year? By then it`s very likely the consumer version is already out or about to launch.

What this guy just said needs to be clarified. If we have to wait a whole year.. I don't think my pressure can keep up.
RedWorm

Postby Slortz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Quick question Nate, does "Asia" include AU/NZ?
Slortz

Postby Cymatic » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:37 pm

RedWorm wrote:

What this guy just said needs to be clarified. If we have to wait a whole year.. I don't think my pressure can keep up.

Because this community is excited and obsessive, we have pooled together information and made some conclusions about order numbers:

Order numbers from 000xxx to 009xxx are Kickstarter orders. (these include ALL backers, not just for Rifts)
Order numbers from 01xxxx to 02xxxx are the first wave of preorders.
No one seems to have an order number in the 03xxxx category.
Order numbers in the 04xxxx are the second wave of preorders.

It looks like about 15,000 - 18,000 Rifts have been ordered total. At 1500 a week, they will clear this in about 10 weeks - everyone has their Rifts by mid June.

Order # in the 046xxx = Rift #13xxx = Approximate delivery in May

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... oTlE#gid=0
Cymatic Bruce's VR Vlog! - Impressions, discussions, tips, and tests.

CymaticBruce.com - VR News, Vlogs, Top Tens. Under Construction!
Cymatic

Postby Marvn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks a lot Nate for the detailed explanations. There's obviously always a reason for things going slower than expected, but without any explanation people start to question everything.

I think this is good news for people with higher order numbers, because it means that although things are slow now, they will pick up speed soon and it will matter very little if your number is high or very high.
Marvn

Postby StanleyP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:33 am

nmitchell wrote:TL;DR

-- Nate

Hah. Nate++
StanleyP

Postby bwhill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 am

Hi Nate,

What is your plan regarding areas like South Africa? We are remote and probably have around 100 units or less incoming.

Is that enough to justify a batch, and because that would include the most recent orders does that put us at the bottom of the pile? Alternatively since there are less, would individual delivery make sense given the diminished benefit of batching only 10% of what you would normally.

NB: If you need a partner in South Africa to deal with fulfillment and retail (now and in the future) please contact me. I have some great contacts who have years of experience in manufacturing, importing and distribution (albeit mostly from China). Even for some advice, I'm sure it'll be worth your time.
bwhill

Postby crespo80 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:37 am

nmitchell wrote:We're setting up a top-notch international fulfillment network so that we can speed up deliveries and lower shipping/duty/tax costs for backers.

You're doing it slow (the whole international shipment process I mean) but you're doing it just right, that's the way to go!
My first fear was to wait countless weeks (yes, weeks) for my rift to be cleared by the very poor and slow italian customs system, but this way the whole customs process will only take hours or a pair of days, and shipment to every backer from a central fulfillment house will take no longer than a couple of days, with lower customs duties as an unexpected bonus, that's wonderful!
crespo80

Postby MrBabbage » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:41 am

Based on the answers I've gotten from Andres, yes Aus/NZ is part of Asia. *Twiddles thumbs* but thanks for the info, I definitely think this should be emailed out to backers guys because the lack of info upfront is what's making _some_ of us a little antagonistic. Good luck getting orders out.
MrBabbage

Postby edulinares » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:00 am

Cymatic wrote:
RedWorm wrote:

Because this community is excited and obsessive, we have pooled together information and made some conclusions about order numbers:

Order numbers from 000xxx to 009xxx are Kickstarter orders. (these include ALL backers, not just for Rifts)
Order numbers from 01xxxx to 02xxxx are the first wave of preorders.
No one seems to have an order number in the 03xxxx category.
Order numbers in the 04xxxx are the second wave of preorders.

It looks like about 15,000 - 18,000 Rifts have been ordered total. At 1500 a week, they will clear this in about 10 weeks - everyone has their Rifts by mid June.

Order # in the 046xxx = Rift #13xxx = Approximate delivery in May

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... oTlE#gid=0

Wow, THANK U SIR for this amazing piece of info. I was honestly thinking they really had almost 50.000 rift orders. That`s pretty insane but since that was the only number I was given, it must be a common mistake.

What a relief, thanks again bro :D
edulinares

PreviousNext

Return to Oculus General Discussion