Oculus Developer Forums

Pre Order Shipping

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby blackplastick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:22 pm

sobchak wrote:Not that I'm justifying the delay, but I'm keeping in mind that they recently lost a big member of their team, and this week is e3. I'd imagine those two things may delay the inner workings of the company for a few weeks.

I am pretty sure Palmer and Nate aren't keeping themselves busy stuffing boxes, licking stamps and driving around forklifts. I imagine they have other people doing the shipping stuff for them.
blackplastick

Postby titan1978 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:25 pm

loaf wrote:Has anyone received a shipment yet from the peeps that went Processing a few weeks ago?

Nope - am US order 20xxx in Early Nov ordered. Still in PROCESSING for me since 5/28!! Was really expecting to see a change of status to SHIPPED yesterday!
titan1978

Postby sobchak » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:35 pm

blackplastick wrote:I am pretty sure Palmer and Nate aren't keeping themselves busy stuffing boxes, licking stamps and driving around forklifts. I imagine they have other people doing the shipping stuff for them.

I'm pretty sure Palmer and Nate aren't the only ones effected by e3 or the loss of a co-worker.
sobchak

Postby Nikorasu » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 pm

sobchak wrote:
blackplastick wrote:I am pretty sure Palmer and Nate aren't keeping themselves busy stuffing boxes, licking stamps and driving around forklifts. I imagine they have other people doing the shipping stuff for them.

I'm pretty sure Palmer and Nate aren't the only ones effected by e3 or the loss of a co-worker.

The point is, only a few of Oculus's top guys are at E3, And they have a separate team of people being paid to do the actual shipping and warehouse work. And also those people were likely not affected by the death much, in terms of it interfering with their daily work.

Without more of an explanation from Oculus, I don't really accept those reasons for nothing being shipped in the last 2 weeks.

If this week passes without any significant shipments being sent out, then I feel Oculus seriously owes us an explanation. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I'm stuck in the processing batch, and even tho I know better, it's starting to feel like they haven't gotten a single thing done in the last 2 weeks, regarding orders. :/

Even tho I know it can take 2-3 weeks to go from processing to shipped.. This is getting silly. At least SOME of the earlier orders should have shipped by now! And I can't figure out whats going on, short of there being "problems". :cry:
Last edited by Nikorasu on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikorasu

Postby blackplastick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Nikorasu wrote:If this week passes without any significant shipments being sent out, then I feel Oculus seriously owes us an explanation. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I'm stuck in the processing batch, and even tho I know better, it's starting to feel like they haven't gotten a single thing done in the last 2 weeks, regarding orders. :/

They better be using those new 1080p screens if it's that late.
blackplastick

Postby cybereality » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:06 pm

We've been working hard. The reason there have been delays with the last batch is that a large pallet of Rifts got held up in customs. There is not too much we can do about this, it's out of our control. Hopefully this will all be sorted out by the end of the week, I doubt it will be much longer than that.

Very sorry and thank you for your patience.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby MrNexy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:11 pm

cybereality wrote:We've been working hard. The reason there have been delays with the last batch is that a large pallet of Rifts got held up in customs. There is not too much we can do about this, it's out of our control. Hopefully this will all be sorted out by the end of the week, I doubt it will be much longer than that.

cybereality I really wish there was a way of voting up or rating comments , thank you for taking the time to respond to all our babbling :)
#48806 :
It arrived , it is amazing and has so much potential ! Bring it on !!

My Game :)
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=785&start=20
MrNexy

Postby fogwalker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 pm

cybereality wrote:We've been working hard. The reason there have been delays with the last batch is that a large pallet of Rifts got held up in customs. There is not too much we can do about this, it's out of our control. Hopefully this will all be sorted out by the end of the week, I doubt it will be much longer than that.

Hmmmm it is held up by customs.. sounds fishy. If I were you I would do a double count of the amount of Rifts that were supposedly shipped compared to what arrives. hehe. =D

Cybereality is great.. a pleasure whenever we hear something.
fogwalker

Postby mrsatz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:23 pm

This is the major gripe that people seem to be having with how things are handled. Instead of reading it on a forum, it should have been emailed to everyone as soon as Oculus learned about it. That is just good customer service. Since we are not kickstarter backers, we are customers and deserve good service. Sending out a mass email should not be much trouble. It would read like this..

To all customers who are currently in processing status,

We just learned that a large pallet has been held up in customs. Please expect those orders to ship up to two weeks later than planned. This is beyond our control and we apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate your support,
Oculus VR

People have and make plans around such things this kind of update can save so much headache. It would also be good practice to not move orders to processing until they are actually at the warehouse so you have more control over the situation.
mrsatz

Postby blackplastick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Sure, blame Obama.
blackplastick

Postby vin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:32 pm

mrsatz wrote:This is the major gripe that people seem to be having with how things are handled. Instead of reading it on a forum, it should have been emailed to everyone as soon as Oculus learned about it. That is just good customer service. Since we are not kickstarter backers, we are customers and deserve good service. Sending out a mass email should not be much trouble. It would read like this..

We just learned that a large pallet has been held up in customs. Please expect those orders to ship up to two weeks later than planned. This is beyond our control and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Oculus VR

People have and make plans around such things this kind of update can save so much headache. It would also be good practice to not move orders to processing until they are actually at the warehouse so you have more control over the situation.

Name a single other company that has ever done that.
vin

Postby SMOK3Y » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:33 pm

its depressing know theres so many sooks gonna own a Devkit
SMOK3Y

Postby blackplastick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:34 pm

vin wrote:
mrsatz wrote:This is the major gripe that people seem to be having with how things are handled. Instead of reading it on a forum, it should have been emailed to everyone as soon as Oculus learned about it. That is just good customer service. Since we are not kickstarter backers, we are customers and deserve good service. Sending out a mass email should not be much trouble. It would read like this..

Oculus VR

Name a single other company that has ever done that.

Nobody has done that since the 90's. Customer service doesn't exist at all anywhere these days.
blackplastick

Postby fogwalker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Oculus VR

No... your a developer.. right because this is a dev kit... they are providing a service to developers.. to make apps for products they are going to sell for money.

Either way you are not you are just going to have to deal with it, dev kit productions is a imperfect process.
Last edited by fogwalker on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fogwalker

Postby EAPidgeon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Thank you for finally clarifying Cyber, it's been driving us and myself mad not knowing what's been going on.
EAPidgeon

Postby vin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:40 pm

blackplastick wrote:Nobody has done that since the 90's. Customer service doesn't exist at all anywhere these days.

They've been pretty open about how shipping works from the start. They're pumping the units out as fast and efficiently as they can, rather than taking the typical approach of waiting until every last unit has been produced and then making everyone pay for their own shipping and customs.

These types of delays happen in product development and shipping. They don't have access to some sort of crystal ball that is going to tell anyone when a specific unit is going to arrive anywhere. Everyone should sit back, take a deep breath, and work on their code more.
vin

Postby shadows » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:05 pm

well if it's any comfort to anyone, I ordered October 2nd and am still at ready status, not processing, no shipping nada, thereby anyone who ordered after this and got into processing lost his right to complain lol.

We're all in this together, sure I'd love to get my hands on the rift and finally put into practice what I've been working on util that moment, but well at least this time allows me to take things slower and polish up my VR project. complaining about it won't help my order to move to processing or to get shipped, all we can do is wait and have a blast once it's finally here.
shadows

Postby dmann » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Looks like I took vacation at the wrong time. At least that gives me more time to clean the house for when all my friends come over to try it out. :D
dmann

Postby Nikorasu » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Thank you VERY much for the update cyber! :D

That is all I wanted to hear, just a basic general update about why the current batch is a bit behind. Makes perfect sense, I feel foolish for forgetting that sometimes customs can cause problems like that. lol
Nikorasu

Postby mrsatz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Just about every company I order something from gives up-to-date order status on the fly. Customer service was horrible in the 90's, you would sit and wait and if something got held up there was no mention. Now information moves so fast you are kept in the loop of just about every move that your order makes (if it gets back ordered, when it ships, shipment tracking, etc).

I am well aware that it's not a consumer version, they are a new company, and things don't go according to plan. I didn't say I can't stand the wait. When there is no news and something takes a long time, then I understand no real updates to speak of. When something happens, like you've pushed a large number of orders to processing (because they are "about to ship") and those orders get held up, then a quick update is appropriate because some expectation has changed. Many forums have complains about the lack of information that gets put out. I've really only read a few complaints about having to wait. That was stated up front and should be expected. It's really having to wait in silence that is the kick in the balls. Since this is supposed to be all about oculus getting feedback about their product. How about giving feedback to those who support you?

I know this sounds like I'm complaining, but I really am not. I'm just giving feedback. Feedback is how companies improve their service. "You did this.... I would have liked you to do this...."

I love the company and their success, I want them to continue to succeed. Companies succeed by listening to their clients. If they don't hear everyone saying they want more information faster, I don't really expect them to listen when I actually get the RIFT and give feedback about it.
mrsatz

PreviousNext

Return to Oculus General Discussion