Oculus Developer Forums

Pre Order Shipping

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby Zoide » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:59 pm

jasonatokc wrote:I thought this was an interesting read...

http://www.customsandinternationaltradelaw.com/2009/11/articles/customs-1/us-customs-seized-my-merchandise-now-what/

good info

customs attorney .... America has a lawyer for everything lol


Naaahhh... They should just hire Saul Goodman. He'll fix this mess. :D
Zoide
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby MikeArms24 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:37 pm

Thank goodness this happened right after the very last kickstarter backer got their rift. That makes you wonder if this was done deliberately right when the first pre-orders started to ship though. Maybe customs is trying to classify the pre-orders as a consumer device rather than a prototype. Maybe they (customs) knew it would be very bad for the company to hold up rifts going to kickstarter purchasers. I keep wondering if Oculus expected this to happen though, like if customs already spoke to them about it and agreed let the remaining kickstarter purchases go through. Not that it would change anything, except for the lack of information getting to the developers who pre-ordered.
Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema!
http://www.riftmax.com - (Latest Version 0.299 4/18/2014)
MikeArms24
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:29 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby Christiaan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:40 pm

MikeArms24 wrote:Thank goodness this happened right after the very last kickstarter backer got their rift. That makes you wonder if this was done deliberately right when the first pre-orders started to ship though. Maybe customs is trying to classify the pre-orders as a consumer device rather than a prototype. Maybe they (customs) knew it would be very bad for the company to hold up rifts going to kickstarter purchasers. I keep wondering if Oculus expected this to happen though, like if customs already spoke to them about it and agreed let the remaining kickstarter purchases go through. Not that it would change anything, except for the lack of information getting to the developers who pre-ordered.


:shock:
Christiaan
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby MrGeddings » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 pm

who knows. it is indeed interesting that they had NO trouble whatsoever with all the shipments in the last few weeks to the US then all of the sudden magically it gets held up. However it could simply be because it was a larger batch then before who knows. I really dont care at this point. Oculus was pretty poor in commicating the depth of this issue however only replying to some forum posts but not making a sticky or posting anything in their blog or news updates other then "there was a delay but it should be fixed by the end of the week" yeah right.

anwyays im done. I decided about the backpeddle about the whole "well ship replacements ...oops sorry they wont go through till the first ones clears" i was looking at a Rift with "buy it now" at a pretty decent price on ebay ...lower then most and decided as homer simpon says "the hell with this" and bought it. Should get it this weekend actually. Now thats service.

i may regret it. they may come out this coming week saying they fixed it. but even then it will most likely take at least two extra business weeks before id get it so......either way im done. ive had enough let downs in my life. enough frustrations and i dont need this bs mess hanging over my head for the next few weeks, months or whatever.

its just the fact that Oculus' responce is "theres nothing we can do and we dont know when" what can you say to that? nothing.

all i can say Oculus is you better hope this gets resolved in the next few weeks because if not your going to have a lot of angry people on your hands (at least what 5,000? if say half of the orders have been shipped and there are 10 ,000 left and about 5,000 of those are in the US? or does the "10,000 shipped include the 2,000 or so that got held up in customs?)

OH and thats not even including the extra fees. that US customs may impose over handling and all woudnt be suprised if you get an extra 100 bucks fee on top of that all

so on top of having to wait for weeks with no real news or updates or assurance in the end you may have to pay 100 bucks or so MORE just to get the rift!

yay way to go.

please for the love of God, Oculus update your order status to "processing" ONLY after the danged units PASS customs. Why the hell wasnt that set up that way to begin with?

what good is "your order is shipping soon" if it might get stuck in customs for a month! (or more) Seriously!

ok my rant is done here. good luck everyone. glad i dont have to hold my breath over this one.
MrGeddings
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 am

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby usb420 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 am

But were you able to cancel your existing order? I know the email that I got just before e3 said that once the order moves to processing you can no longer cancel.
usb420
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 pm
Location: Oakland, Ca

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby adriendod » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:08 am

MrGeddings wrote:who knows. it is indeed interesting that they had NO trouble whatsoever with all the shipments in the last few weeks to the US then all of the sudden magically it gets held up. However it could simply be because it was a larger batch then before who knows. I really dont care at this point. Oculus was pretty poor in commicating the depth of this issue however only replying to some forum posts but not making a sticky or posting anything in their blog or news updates other then "there was a delay but it should be fixed by the end of the week" yeah right.

anwyays im done. I decided about the backpeddle about the whole "well ship replacements ...oops sorry they wont go through till the first ones clears" i was looking at a Rift with "buy it now" at a pretty decent price on ebay ...lower then most and decided as homer simpon says "the hell with this" and bought it. Should get it this weekend actually. Now thats service.

i may regret it. they may come out this coming week saying they fixed it. but even then it will most likely take at least two extra business weeks before id get it so......either way im done. ive had enough let downs in my life. enough frustrations and i dont need this bs mess hanging over my head for the next few weeks, months or whatever.

its just the fact that Oculus' responce is "theres nothing we can do and we dont know when" what can you say to that? nothing.

all i can say Oculus is you better hope this gets resolved in the next few weeks because if not your going to have a lot of angry people on your hands (at least what 5,000? if say half of the orders have been shipped and there are 10 ,000 left and about 5,000 of those are in the US? or does the "10,000 shipped include the 2,000 or so that got held up in customs?)

OH and thats not even including the extra fees. that US customs may impose over handling and all woudnt be suprised if you get an extra 100 bucks fee on top of that all

so on top of having to wait for weeks with no real news or updates or assurance in the end you may have to pay 100 bucks or so MORE just to get the rift!

yay way to go.

please for the love of God, Oculus update your order status to "processing" ONLY after the danged units PASS customs. Why the hell wasnt that set up that way to begin with?

what good is "your order is shipping soon" if it might get stuck in customs for a month! (or more) Seriously!

ok my rant is done here. good luck everyone. glad i dont have to hold my breath over this one.



1rst world problem really
adriendod
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby Ibrinar » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 am

VRMS wrote:
adriendod wrote:Too many crybabies in this thread.. We just don't care! We're reading this thread for shipping updates! Nobody cares about your whining!


When did you pay for your rift adriendod? Come back after you've been waiting 8+ months, and we'll see if your attitude changes then champ

Do you honestly think nobody here (who doesn't complains) has ever waited a long time for something or why do you presume that people would share your opinion if only they had also waited for 8 months?
Ibrinar
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 am

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby spire8989 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:05 am

MrGeddings wrote:who knows. it is indeed interesting that they had NO trouble whatsoever with all the shipments in the last few weeks to the US then all of the sudden magically it gets held up. However it could simply be because it was a larger batch then before who knows. I really dont care at this point. Oculus was pretty poor in commicating the depth of this issue however only replying to some forum posts but not making a sticky or posting anything in their blog or news updates other then "there was a delay but it should be fixed by the end of the week" yeah right.

anwyays im done. I decided about the backpeddle about the whole "well ship replacements ...oops sorry they wont go through till the first ones clears" i was looking at a Rift with "buy it now" at a pretty decent price on ebay ...lower then most and decided as homer simpon says "the hell with this" and bought it. Should get it this weekend actually. Now thats service.

i may regret it. they may come out this coming week saying they fixed it. but even then it will most likely take at least two extra business weeks before id get it so......either way im done. ive had enough let downs in my life. enough frustrations and i dont need this bs mess hanging over my head for the next few weeks, months or whatever.

its just the fact that Oculus' responce is "theres nothing we can do and we dont know when" what can you say to that? nothing.

all i can say Oculus is you better hope this gets resolved in the next few weeks because if not your going to have a lot of angry people on your hands (at least what 5,000? if say half of the orders have been shipped and there are 10 ,000 left and about 5,000 of those are in the US? or does the "10,000 shipped include the 2,000 or so that got held up in customs?)

OH and thats not even including the extra fees. that US customs may impose over handling and all woudnt be suprised if you get an extra 100 bucks fee on top of that all

so on top of having to wait for weeks with no real news or updates or assurance in the end you may have to pay 100 bucks or so MORE just to get the rift!

yay way to go.

please for the love of God, Oculus update your order status to "processing" ONLY after the danged units PASS customs. Why the hell wasnt that set up that way to begin with?

what good is "your order is shipping soon" if it might get stuck in customs for a month! (or more) Seriously!

ok my rant is done here. good luck everyone. glad i dont have to hold my breath over this one.


Ugh. Youre such a child Evenios. Yes, its obvious who you are. We can wait a little while longer. They aren't going to have thousands of angry people because most of us can be adults about this.
spire8989
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:41 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby nellus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:25 am

WHY?

54xxx Processing Malaysia
54xxx Processing Japan
55xxx Processing United Kingdom
55xxx Processing Singapore
56xxx Processing China
57xxx Processing Germany
User avatar
nellus
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 am
Location: Milano

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby sevenalvan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:53 am

Thanks for that post nellus.

This is really poor that orders placed months later are processing while orders from October/November last year are still in limbo.

What a logistical joke, made worse by the lack of any clear information or explanation.

Dont the guys at Oculus get it, you have taken peoples money, the least you can do is keep them properly informed. Your silence or vague responses just dig a deeper hole in your credibility.

Of course people are "whining" when they see orders placed months later being fulfilled with no proper explanation! What do you expect?
User avatar
sevenalvan
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 am

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby GuileSN » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:25 am

It's true that all this mess and lack of communication with the costumers can hurt the reputation of a company, even more if you consider a company that is just starting now.

You can try to think about things in a "mature" way during some months, saying to yourself: "They are doing their best", "They have no control over the customs", "They are increasing production, with time things will get better", etc etc. But the absolute lack of explanations about the issues that they are facing can be really annoying.

I myself will never again "pre-order" anything from Oculus without having a CONCRETE confirmation that they can deliver their products in a MINIMALLY PRECISE DATE. Or perhaps I only buy the consumer version, being sold AT THE STORES.

And I am saying this as a recent pre-order guy from Belgium (466xx, order early March). In the Oculus site, it was mentioned that the delivery was expected to April/May at most. I cannot imagine how people that ordered last year are felling now, without their Rifts.

So I think that there is no "whining" here. People that paid for the Rifts so many months ago, with their hard-earned money, have the absolute right to complain and to demand more information about all this shipping chaos.
GuileSN
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby CareLevelZero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:06 am

I placed my order back in October so, yeah, I'm feeling a little frustrated with the situation. Not so much as to go lashing out at Oculus but I'd love to hear a little more detail about how shipping targets are chosen. I don't mean that in a "why the Hell did that person who ordered after me already get theirs" kind of way. I'm honestly just curious. Nothing bothers me quite as much as errant speculation -- something I've seen so much of in my line of work that I've lost virtually all tolerance for it -- so I hold reliable information as a premium commodity.

On that topic, I wonder if CyberReality would mind expounding upon his previous statement about later shipments not being able to clear until earlier shipments do (as my Rift is supposedly held up in that customs snafu, I guess?).

Any information would be appreciated, Oculus guys. Keep us informed. Educated people don't fall prey to mob mentality quite so easily. ;)
The old rules no longer apply here
CareLevelZero
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby Huckleberry » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:10 am

MrGeddings wrote:
OH and thats not even including the extra fees. that US customs may impose over handling and all woudnt be suprised if you get an extra 100 bucks fee on top of that all

so on top of having to wait for weeks with no real news or updates or assurance in the end you may have to pay 100 bucks or so MORE just to get the rift!


Yeah, I still don't get this. With all of the lack of clarity, this is, perhaps, the most unclear. Is there actually a chance we might owe more money (and I saw the quote in the update, so no need to re-quote it)?

When you live in the US and order from a US company....well, I assumed the customs fees clause applied to people who ordered outside the US, because......the company I ordered from is IN the United States!

If people ordered from within the same country as the company, and are going to be charged the customs fees required to get the product to the company's distribution center, then you should call that out explicitly in the disclaimer (ie., Even orders placed within the US may be subject to unplanned VAT fees), as this is unprecedented in the 35 years I have been a consumer in the US.

I really would like clarification, from Oculus on this.
Last edited by Huckleberry on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleberry
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 am

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby titan1978 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 am

sevenalvan wrote:Thanks for that post nellus.

This is really poor that orders placed months later are processing while orders from October/November last year are still in limbo.

What a logistical joke, made worse by the lack of any clear information or explanation.

Dont the guys at Oculus get it, you have taken peoples money, the least you can do is keep them properly informed. Your silence or vague responses just dig a deeper hole in your credibility.

Of course people are "whining" when they see orders placed months later being fulfilled with no proper explanation! What do you expect?


They've SAID its stuck with customs. What do you want OculusVR to say everyday?
"we checked with customs. they're still working on it!" ?

I'd rather NOT see that kind of update - because inevitably the whiners will THEN start "Doesn't oculus have any meaningful updates instead of the same BS over and over every day?"

- they're dealing with bureaucracy - getting consistent info and updates from bureaucracy is like trying to punch a hole through a concrete wall with your head.
titan1978
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:08 am

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby sevenalvan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 am

Actually titan 1978, the response I got from customer support indicated it had nothing to do with customs...

"This is not concerning customs, this is a separate delay due to various logistical issues.

We are working hard to get all shipments out ASAP, but we don't have a solid ETA yet."


I dont think its a case of "lashing out at Oculus" or simple jealousy that someone who ordered later on has got their Rift DK.

A week here or there would be unimportant, but we are talking months!

Oculus VR should not be put on too high a pedestal such that nobody can criticise them.

It costs Oculus nothing to keep customers properly informed.

Orders should be sent in roughly the chronology they were received. This was clearly everyones assumption when the orders were placed.

This is an opportunity for Oculus VR to learn how to deal with such situations without making the problem worse.

So far the response has been a let down for many customers.
User avatar
sevenalvan
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 am

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby shadows » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 am

titan1978 wrote:
sevenalvan wrote:Thanks for that post nellus.

*Snip*

- they're dealing with bureaucracy - getting consistent info and updates from bureaucracy is like trying to punch a hole through a concrete wall with your head.


With the difference that you might actually have more chances of success with trying to punch a hole in a wall with your head :p
shadows
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby CareLevelZero » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 am

shadows wrote:
titan1978 wrote:
sevenalvan wrote:- they're dealing with bureaucracy - getting consistent info and updates from bureaucracy is like trying to punch a hole through a concrete wall with your head.


With the difference that you might actually have more chances of success with trying to punch a hole in a wall with your head :p


*badum tish* I think I like the way you two think. :D
The old rules no longer apply here
CareLevelZero
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby gravity360 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:12 am

spire8989 wrote:
MrGeddings wrote:who knows. it is indeed interesting that they had NO trouble whatsoever with all the shipments in the last few weeks to the US then all of the sudden magically it gets held up. However it could simply be because it was a larger batch then before who knows. I really dont care at this point. Oculus was pretty poor in commicating the depth of this issue however only replying to some forum posts but not making a sticky or posting anything in their blog or news updates other then "there was a delay but it should be fixed by the end of the week" yeah right.

anwyays im done. I decided about the backpeddle about the whole "well ship replacements ...oops sorry they wont go through till the first ones clears" i was looking at a Rift with "buy it now" at a pretty decent price on ebay ...lower then most and decided as homer simpon says "the hell with this" and bought it. Should get it this weekend actually. Now thats service.

i may regret it. they may come out this coming week saying they fixed it. but even then it will most likely take at least two extra business weeks before id get it so......either way im done. ive had enough let downs in my life. enough frustrations and i dont need this bs mess hanging over my head for the next few weeks, months or whatever.

its just the fact that Oculus' responce is "theres nothing we can do and we dont know when" what can you say to that? nothing.

all i can say Oculus is you better hope this gets resolved in the next few weeks because if not your going to have a lot of angry people on your hands (at least what 5,000? if say half of the orders have been shipped and there are 10 ,000 left and about 5,000 of those are in the US? or does the "10,000 shipped include the 2,000 or so that got held up in customs?)

OH and thats not even including the extra fees. that US customs may impose over handling and all woudnt be suprised if you get an extra 100 bucks fee on top of that all

so on top of having to wait for weeks with no real news or updates or assurance in the end you may have to pay 100 bucks or so MORE just to get the rift!

yay way to go.

please for the love of God, Oculus update your order status to "processing" ONLY after the danged units PASS customs. Why the hell wasnt that set up that way to begin with?

what good is "your order is shipping soon" if it might get stuck in customs for a month! (or more) Seriously!

ok my rant is done here. good luck everyone. glad i dont have to hold my breath over this one.


Ugh. Youre such a child Evenios. Yes, its obvious who you are. We can wait a little while longer. They aren't going to have thousands of angry people because most of us can be adults about this.


Well said. It's just a matter of time. Granted some my be a little disappointed. But it doesn't mean that they will never get the units out of Customs. The best thing is to just forget about it and find something else to occupy your time.
gravity360
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby Ashok » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:35 am

MikeArms24 wrote:Thank goodness this happened right after the very last kickstarter backer got their rift. That makes you wonder if this was done deliberately right when the first pre-orders started to ship though.


Idk, I'm a Kickstarter backer in the USA and I still have an open order. I was shipped a defective headset and was re-added to the top of the queue. I'm sure there are a few other remnant Kickstarter backers who are still in line due to various technicalities. Our orders are pegged on the next batch getting shipped.

I don't think there's any "conspiracy" here, I've been working with Oculus support and they seem to be genuinely working as best as they can to get the next batch out so they can finalize the Kickstarter pre-orders and begin servicing customers from their store. Anyways I've been waiting since August and I'm really not mad about it and I'm not going to lash out at Oculus. The way I see it, I was given some borrowed time to catch up on "The Last of Us" and enjoy the nice weather outside. :)
User avatar
Ashok
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 8:06 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Pre Order Shipping

Postby paulybarnes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:47 am

sevenalvan wrote:This is really poor that orders placed months later are processing while orders from October/November last year are still in limbo.

What a logistical joke, made worse by the lack of any clear information or explanation.


You know this probably happens more than we know. It's just that we are such a tight VR family that all of us know when each others orders are in the line and when they were shipped. Which I would imagine is Logistics worst nightmare.
-: Pauly :-
===================================
LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1 CHECK IT OUT!

~ The Rift, it's so bad. ~
User avatar
paulybarnes
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: Watauga, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Oculus General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aking, archaicbereft, Kadmium, Karlgamer, Marbas, markterry and 32 guests