Oculus Developer Forums

Any news on when the second batch might be going out?

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Any news on when the second batch might be going out?

Postby gnarbarian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Any news on when the second batch might be going out? I'm order number 502. I was wondering if the second batch means they might go out this week or if the Chinese new year thing means they won't go out for another month. I understand that you probably don't know when they're going to go out either, but providing us with a window (say a week to a month) would go a long ways to quelling my anxiousness.

Thanks again for all your hard work.
gnarbarian

Re: Any news on when the second batch might be going out?

Postby cybereality » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm

The next batch should be going out before the end of the week.

Thanks for your patience.

- Andres
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby gnarbarian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:03 pm

w00t! Thanks a bunch!
gnarbarian

Postby RaveTZ » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Tell Phil over at Support he is doing a great job too.
VFX-1, 3D Vision Z800, Vuzix Wrap 920, Sony HMZ-T1, Oculus Rift Dev
RaveTZ

Postby sranck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:22 pm

gnarbarian, where is the order number indicated? I'm still waiting for my dev kit, too!
sranck

Postby lo4d » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:29 pm

sranck wrote:gnarbarian, where is the order number indicated? I'm still waiting for my dev kit, too!

https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/
lo4d

Postby Nogard » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 pm

cybereality wrote:The next batch should be going out before the end of the week.

Thanks for your patience.

- Andres

Good to hear, now I can just wait calmly till then :lol: sorry could't help my self, yup I'm pretty much going to live every agonizing second ;) , oh well. Regardless thank you for the comunication :)
Nogard

Postby magneon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Any info on the tracking numbers? A few people have reported getting them, but it seems quite rare. Are they going to be reported this time?
~ Joseph Duchesne

Knowledge is power.
magneon

Postby cybereality » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Yeah, there were some issues with the initial tracking numbers going out late but we are working to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Thanks.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby MrGeddings » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:49 pm

It really would be great in the update to post how many units went out overall last week and how many are going out this week and how many are planned for the coming week, to give us a better indication of progress if possible (also i HOPE there was more then 300 units that went out last week. hopefully perhaps they had sets of units of 300...though even if it was just 300 if we get 1,000 or more shipped this week i guess that wont be a bad thing) as long as things "ramp up" as Palmer said and they end up reaching a 2,500 or so a week mark in a few weeks or a month then it would put on target that receint preorders would be able to be shipped before June.

But i guess we just have to be patient, maybe they just are making sure their ducks are in a row first before they post any numbers! Glad to see weekly shipments are on track though!

I want to thank the people who provided thoughts and youtube videos so far its really been helpful during the wait :-). Keep them coming!
MrGeddings

Postby gnarbarian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:58 pm

MrGeddings I think the problem with telling everyone how many they expect to ship is if they say X will go out next week and find out that some number of them are defective, the people who figured they'd make it into that shipment would be extra bummed out. They could underestimate that number though I suppose.

Honestly though the more they keep us updated the less time they have to ship them out. so if the Trade off is between having daily updates and getting more units out, I'd prefer them to get more units out.
gnarbarian

Postby obben » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Are the order number sequential? My order number is around 47k. Does this mean I have to wait 30 weeks with 1500 units/week delivery late?
obben

Postby Christiaan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 pm

obben wrote:Are the order number sequential? My order number is around 47k. Does this mean I have to wait 30 weeks with 1500 units/week delivery late?

The order # is not indicative of your place in the queue. The total # of dev kits was around 10,000 or so at the time 47xxx became the # header, it would seem.
Christiaan

Postby obben » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:27 pm

Thanks Christiaan, I'm feeling better :)
obben

Postby rocky1138 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Is it more accurate to say that if your number is < 47000 then your order number IS indicative of your ship schedule?

My thoughts are that the order numbers have nothing to do with who gets the first couple batches: they'll be sending them out to YouTube partners, prolific tweeters, industry big-wigs, and other people who will spread the word and keep the buzz going.
rocky1138

Postby Huckleberry » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:05 am

rocky1138 wrote:Is it more accurate to say that if your number is < 47000 then your order number IS indicative of your ship schedule?

My thoughts are that the order numbers have nothing to do with who gets the first couple batches: they'll be sending them out to YouTube partners, prolific tweeters, industry big-wigs, and other people who will spread the word and keep the buzz going.

sort of and not really rocky. Orders are being shipped, in general, in ascending order by order numbers. But there are multiple order number systems - started with Kickstarter preorders (#s under 10000), then post-Kickstarter until late December, roughly (#s 10000- 20000s), then after the end of December (#s in the 40000s). Here's a decent sheet to give you an idea:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... oTlE#gid=0

There are also several posts on MTBS3D and Redit explaining the order systems (and I think I posted another one here too).

O
Huckleberry

Postby dwild » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 am

gnarbarian wrote:MrGeddings I think the problem with telling everyone how many they expect to ship is if they say X will go out next week and find out that some number of them are defective, the people who figured they'd make it into that shipment would be extra bummed out. They could underestimate that number though I suppose.

Honestly though the more they keep us updated the less time they have to ship them out. so if the Trade off is between having daily updates and getting more units out, I'd prefer them to get more units out.

Saying that they will be shipping 1000 a week at first and then ramp up to 1500 is okay? It's hard to believe that what's currently happening... we saw no order being received monday through wednesday. We don't want estimates, we want actual numbers, we want to know that today they shipped 0 to 300 units. Getting us updated will take too much time? Is this a joke? Writing a single message each day will affect shipping? Seriously I take more time to verify my status each day than it would take them to update them...
dwild

Postby darthaus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:46 am

dwild wrote:Saying that they will be shipping 1000 a week at first and then ramp up to 1500 is okay? It's hard to believe that what's currently happening... we saw no order being received monday through wednesday. We don't want estimates, we want actual numbers, we want to know that today they shipped 0 to 300 units. Getting us updated will take too much time? Is this a joke? Writing a single message each day will affect shipping? Seriously I take more time to verify my status each day than it would take them to update them...

You've gotta take it easy man. This is how this kinda stuff goes. I've back a couple of hardware projects on kickstarter and they ALWAYS get delayed. It's no fault of Oculus'. It will arrive when it arrives (I'm a late post kickstarter backer so we wont be getting them for a long while after the backers). I know it stinks to wait, but that's life.
darthaus

Postby sranck » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Huckleberry, thanks for the spreadsheet. My order number is 006xxx but it's not shown in the spreadsheet. Is this anything to be concerned with?
sranck

Postby Cheshyr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:05 pm

sranck wrote:Huckleberry, thanks for the spreadsheet. My order number is 006xxx but it's not shown in the spreadsheet. Is this anything to be concerned with?

That spreadsheet is run by customers, not by Oculus themselves. You need to look up your info here: https://www.oculusvr.com/sales/ and add it yourself. There are instructions at the top of the spreadsheet for how to add your info. It's mostly an information consolidation tool, so we can get a general feel for the shipping schedule.
Cheshyr

Return to Oculus General Discussion