Oculus Developer Forums

Pre-Order Oculus Rift Consumer or HD Dev Editions?

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Pre-Order Oculus Rift Consumer or HD Dev Editions?

Postby Arowx » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:17 am

Are Oculus considering allowing users to Pre-Order the new HD Dev or Consumer versions of the Rift, due out next year?
Arowx

Re: Pre-Order Oculus Rift Consumer or HD Dev Editions?

Postby joievonne » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 am

I emailed support yesterday before I ordered and they said they eventually will but it will definitely not be this year. They aren't sure when exactly either. When they do confirm a time they will post it on their blog: http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/. I know. It sucks to hear but they're working hard and I would in a heartbeat spend my money on the HD version when it comes out.
joievonne

Postby GrayFawkes » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:33 am

It would be cool if they give a discount or first dibs to Kickstarter backers/dev kit 1 owners. I mean, I'm gonna buy it either way but it would be nice.
Ordered: Nov. 19
About to process: Nov. 22
Processing: Nov. 25
Shipped: Nov. 26
Received: Dec. 03
Order No.: 908XX
GrayFawkes

Postby morenosuba » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:01 am

if you can wait for the consumer product that will be the best, most optimized option (also, that way i can get my HD dev kit that much faster :D), but if you just can't wait then....get in line.
morenosuba

Postby cybereality » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm not sure if we can offer any discounts, but some people here have been throwing around ideas like giving current dev kit owners "first dibs" on future products. We actually did this with the Latency Testers. People that left their email address were able to purchase and receive their item before the general public. So I think it's a good idea.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby mareknr » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:37 pm

cybereality wrote:I'm not sure if we can offer any discounts, but some people here have been throwing around ideas like giving current dev kit owners "first dibs" on future products. We actually did this with the Latency Testers. People that left their email address were able to purchase and receive their item before the general public. So I think it's a good idea.

Yes. I like that idea. I'm voting for it.
mareknr

Postby StCecil » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:26 pm

cybereality wrote:I'm not sure if we can offer any discounts, but some people here have been throwing around ideas like giving current dev kit owners "first dibs" on future products. We actually did this with the Latency Testers. People that left their email address were able to purchase and receive their item before the general public. So I think it's a good idea.

Ahh, ya. I own a Rift :D

I will buy the consumer version whenever it is out. Great idea indeed.

+1 Cybereality
Ordered : November 2nd 2013 (November 3rd on my time)
Receieved Processing mail : November 25th 2013 (November 26th on my time)
Arrived : December 3rd 2013

StCecil

Postby Khechari » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:28 pm

I'm interested in finding out what the FOV is going to be like on the HD dev kit. I have a normal Dev kit, and most likely will buy the HD Dev kit, but I recall hearing that that the 1080p prototype had a reduced FOV..
Khechari

Postby cybereality » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:25 pm

The 1080P prototypes we have shown at some events do actually have a slightly smaller FOV than the current developer kit. This is due to the fact that they are using the same lenses and mostly the same housing as the standard def dev kit but with a smaller screen. We are planning to reach the around the same FOV as the current dev kit with future models, but it's not totally final at this point.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby DarkAkuma » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Wow. Double bummer news in this thread.

My amazing patience for waiting the DK2/consumer model may be rewarded with people cutting in line, getting another version of something they already have. I seriously hope this horrible idea doesn't happen. Be fair.

And its saddening to hear there's no particular drive to try and increase the FOV. I've always understood that the current FOV is way better then older devices, but it could still be WAY better than that. But I guess there's just little that can be done without using 2 screens or curved OLEDs (which I wouldn't have assumed would be in CM1).

Anyway. Preorders would be nice though.
DarkAkuma

Postby palmertech » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:33 pm

DarkAkuma wrote:My amazing patience for waiting the DK2/consumer model may be rewarded with people cutting in line, getting another version of something they already have. I seriously hope this horrible idea doesn't happen. Be fair.

We are selling developer kits. We do this to ensure that developers have the tools they need to work on VR software. With that goal in mind, the best place we can possibly ship next gen developers kits is to people who have already been working on their software for months with the first generation developer kits. I don't know your exact situation, but in general, people who have been patiently waiting for the consumer version are not going to benefit much from getting a next gen developer kit slightly earlier. The people who have already purchased developer kits, especially on Kickstarter, are the only reason we are still around! The least we can do is give them a little something extra for taking a risk on Oculus. Don't worry about the consumer version, though; we are working to make sure that there is ample supply for everyone to get one very quickly at launch.

And its saddening to hear there's no particular drive to try and increase the FOV. I've always understood that the current FOV is way better then older devices, but it could still be WAY better than that.

There is a drive to increase the field of view, but the laws of physics like to get in the way. Optics design is all about tradeoffs, and there is no way to make it "WAY" better without severely compromising quality in other ways. If it was possible to make another massive jump, believe me, we would do it. As it is, expect small improvements to field of view and large improvements to other aspects of the lens.
palmertech
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby KBK » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
KBK

Postby enilcleahcim » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 pm

DarkAkuma wrote:My amazing patience for waiting the DK2/consumer model may be rewarded with people cutting in line, getting another version of something they already have. I seriously hope this horrible idea doesn't happen. Be fair.

Be fair? Waa. I just dropped $300 a month ago and now they're going to sell HD versions of this thing I just bought (possibly with the addition of positional tracking), and for the same price. Am I complaining? Nope, because I'm not a f%<king developer and I knew this is what I was signing up for when I initially decided to buy an unfinished prototype. I bought the DK1, I'm going to buy the DK2, and I'm going to buy the consumer version. Know why? Because Mr. Luckey has created the gyat daym Matrix v0.1 and I want to give him as much money as I possibly can so he can continue making it better. Instead of boo hooing about the fact that you aren't going to get yours first (when you'd have had one by now if you'd supported the company by buying their first prototype), why not be grateful for the fact that they care enough about consumers to make this thing available to enthusiasts at all? They could easily require people requesting to order the Rift to submit some sort of resume proving they have official developer credits to their name, or at the least submit a demo if they're indie devs.

Personally, what I think they should do is make the DK2 available to people who already bought the DK1 first, BUUUUT when you order it you have to prove that you're a developer. That way, developers get theirs first (as it should be) and early adopters get the option of getting theirs before the onslaught from the general public. Realistically, though, that'd be a lot of extra work for them to sort through and verify all that crap. They're probably just going to make it available to everybody all at once (which should make you happy), and if they decide that's the best way to go about it then so be it.
enilcleahcim

Postby ido » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 am

I have 2 dev kits(one for tinkering), and I can't wait to get my hands on the newest version.

VR has always been a hobby of mine, and I plan to be here day 1 for the new kit(along with the eventual consumer model).
ido

Postby codafrost » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:53 pm

They are being fair, which is why OVR is being nice & offering perks to those of us (developers) who have actually spent our hard earned $$$ supporting this wonderful company. Meanwhile, your "amazing patience" has done nothing to support Oculus - so how would letting you 'cut in line' be fair?
P.S. How's your development project coming along Akuma?

P.P.S Cheers to Palmer for being awesome!
Technobabylon VR - Cyberpunk Adventure
********* Alpha download now available! **********
codafrost

Postby Chaoss » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:45 pm

palmertech wrote:There is a drive to increase the field of view, but the laws of physics like to get in the way. Optics design is all about tradeoffs, and there is no way to make it "WAY" better without severely compromising quality in other ways. If it was possible to make another massive jump, believe me, we would do it. As it is, expect small improvements to field of view and large improvements to other aspects of the lens.

Small improvements to the FOV are improvements none the less, the current 2 issues with FOV on the current dev kit are the optics are too small, meaning to get the full field of view that the DK1 offers you have to push the lenses right into your eyeballs which isn't comfortable.

The second issue is some (but not all) implementations of the rift do not use the full screen, and actually have black borders around the display and these can be seen in the rift as black bars on either side of the image. I have created a fix for that for the Unity SDK here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3641

I would love to see the next development kit have increased lens sizes so we don't have to push the unit into our faces to get a full field of view, this would go a long way to increasing the comfort of many users, and at the same time would increase the field of view for users who wear glasses.

Something else that could marginally increase the field of view horizontally in the next revision is using a 16:9 display rather than a 16:10 one (eg, 1920x1080 rather than 1920x1200).

Try it, put the A cup lenses in your developer kit, download the UDK Rollercoaster demo (the UDK implementation fills the whole display), and then push the unit + turn the screws so the screen is close to your eyes until you see the black bars, hold it there and look around. You will now see what the 'real' field of view is for the DK1.

Any increase in the field of view, no matter how small is always very welcome!
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
Chaoss

Postby Khechari » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Yes to the above. FOV isn't always maxed out on the software end. In fact, while most people recommend running games in 1080p and then letting the Rift downscale it, the truth is that you lose FOV usually.

Personally, I'm glad Palmer jumped in a few posts up to comment on FOV, although I do need to express that FOV is the immersion limiter right now. For me, even more than resolution, FOV needs to improve (vertically too) in order to feel immersed in a game.

My biggest worry is that there might be a better way to do things, but we might end up locked into the original Oculus software implementation, while future hardware solutions might be discarded due to lack of compatibility with the status quo.

What do?
Khechari

Postby jasonatokc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I have $600.00 (just in case) in my paypal account ready for when they release the next rift. I will purchase it within an hour of it being out for purchase.
jasonatokc

Postby palmertech » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:05 am

Khechari wrote:My biggest worry is that there might be a better way to do things, but we might end up locked into the original Oculus software implementation, while future hardware solutions might be discarded due to lack of compatibility with the status quo.

Our SDK is very flexible, any game using it should theoretically be compatible with future hardware. Our internal prototypes are usable on any software using the latest SDK, the developer does not need to change anything. We could change future hardware pretty drastically and still be backwards compatible.
palmertech
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby alimasri » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:34 am

I wish we could get at least a rough estimate on when to expect DK2. I'm dying to get my hands on a Rift, but if the DK2 is (hopefully) shipping soon, I can wait a little longer.

And with regards to DK1, some people mention an improvement in mods they did to lessen the screen door effect, have you looked into it to see if it can be modded by your side?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4818

and by the way Palmer, I can't thank you enough for finally bringing this amazing tech to life. It's always been a dream of mine. I was this close to buying a Vuzix, but thanks to you we have something way way better.
alimasri

Next

Return to Oculus General Discussion