Oculus Developer Forums

[Community Info] No news since a while...

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

[Community Info] No news since a while...

Postby Tgaud » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 am

Hello,

I'm very disappointed cause I'm checking daily the news on the website about what is happening
What are the new lead, technology, improvements, news and stuff, And there is barely one news every trimester, and not always interesting.

I remember last years when there was so much news, info, enthusiasm to the community
But its been a while since we stay in the shadow.

The community is very active, proposing new developpment help, new technology ideas, but withtout any "official" announcement or official infos of any kind, I feel like all thoses debates, ideas and stuff are useless.

Its been a year and we still dont have very clear answer to some questions like :

_What will be the release screen resolution ?
_What will be the expected improvment of the release version , or the dev kit 2 ?
_when will there be a devkit 2 ?
_what are the demo meeting of occulus rift, wich model is it, what are the feedbacks of the testers ?
_will there be a"mobile" model ?
_What is the advancement/problems of the positional tracking ?
_What are the new ideas of improvment, being studied since one year ?
_What partnership will you make, will you be able to order screen from Samsung ?

Any news or feedback to the community would be welcome.
Even the blog of occulus is "dead" with one news every X months..
Tgaud

Re: [Community Info] No news since a while...

Postby cerebral » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:01 am

it is the calm before the storm...
cerebral

Postby l3eerme » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:18 am

Wired.com had a recent write up on the Rift. Might not answer all your questions but got my instrest going again for consumer model.
l3eerme

Postby geekmaster » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:44 am

News is regularly posted in the Oculus blogs. Here is a good recent entry:
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/magnetometer/

And more Oculus blogs:
http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/

EDIT: Why do I need to log into a third-party website like youtube or aol or facebook to post a comment to an oculus blog? :(
"For the things we have to know before we can do them, we learn by doing them." —Aristotle
"The GREATEST discoveries shall be found in pursuit of diminishing returns." —geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто. Щедрость не имеет пределов.
geekmaster

Postby cybereality » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:19 pm

@Tgaud: Most of your questions will be answered early next year. There are some exciting developments, but it makes more sense to announce them at major industry trade-shows and not just on our blog or forum where we will get limited coverage.

@geekmaster: We chose Facebook comments as it eliminates a lot of spam/trolling you end up with using psudononymous comments. The blog was implemented before the developer center was finished, and Facebook was an easy plug-in to use at the time. However, I can see how it would make sense to link this with your existing Oculus account, and that may be something we look into in the future.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby cerebral » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:02 am

Enjoy this very first muscle simulated virtual organism. :D
http://phys.org/news/2013-12-openworm-milestonemuscle-simulation.html
cerebral

Postby mscanfp » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:45 am

cerebral wrote:Enjoy this very first muscle simulated virtual organism. :D
http://phys.org/news/2013-12-openworm-milestonemuscle-simulation.html

Pretty interesting.

Mike
Last edited by mscanfp on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mscanfp

Postby cerebral » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 am

hey this will be pretty important to simulate one day physically correct behaving copulatory organs. :lol:
cerebral

Postby reverendkyle » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:10 am

cybereality wrote:@Tgaud: Most of your questions will be answered early next year. There are some exciting developments, but it makes more sense to announce them at major industry trade-shows and not just on our blog or forum where we will get limited coverage.

@geekmaster: We chose Facebook comments as it eliminates a lot of spam/trolling you end up with using psudononymous comments. The blog was implemented before the developer center was finished, and Facebook was an easy plug-in to use at the time. However, I can see how it would make sense to link this with your existing Oculus account, and that may be something we look into in the future.

You don't HAVE to wait for a trade show, you could always make an announcement on, let's say... a podcast. :D
Have you listened to the Rev VR Podcast yet?

Listen and subscribe through iTunes or through Stitcher

http://www.reverendkyle.com
reverendkyle

Postby Frito » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Tgaud wrote:Hello,

I'm very disappointed cause I'm checking daily the news on the website about what is happening
What are the new lead, technology, improvements, news and stuff, And there is barely one news every trimester, and not always interesting.

I remember last years when there was so much news, info, enthusiasm to the community

The community is very active, proposing new developpment help, new technology ideas, but withtout any "official" announcement or official infos of any kind, I feel like all thoses debates, ideas and stuff are useless.

Its been a year and we still dont have very clear answer to some questions like :

_What will be the expected improvment of the release version , or the dev kit 2 ?
_what are the demo meeting of occulus rift, wich model is it, what are the feedbacks of the testers ?
_What partnership will you make, will you be able to order screen from Samsung ?

This sounds like they had an obligation to give out news... they dont.
Backer
"Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
Frito

Postby Tgaud » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 am

And ?
Whats the problem with you people, with the "obligations" , the "rules".
who needs rules, to do the right thing ?
You never heard of simple & gentle customer relationship ?
Tgaud

Postby welby » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 am

Tgaud wrote:Hello,

It's a good way to request something,i think. However Cybereality had answer you in the best way,and i'm completely agree with him.The community receive some informations and news little before than others,but for great and big news is too logical to annunce them in big events.

Can't wait to listen what news oculus will show to us!
OASIS[WIP]
(Uploaded 18th December 2013)
welby

Postby Frito » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Tgaud wrote:And ?

Yes of course, but right now Oculus seems to have a lot of TOPSECRET stuff. and thats a good thing I think ;)
Backer
"Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
Frito

Postby Tbone » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:52 pm

cybereality wrote:@Tgaud: Most of your questions will be answered early next year. There are some exciting developments, but it makes more sense to announce them at major industry trade-shows and not just on our blog or forum where we will get limited coverage.

Consumer version announcement at CES confirmed! :P

I actually thought there was a lot of Oculus news the past week or so. They updated the blog about their intentions to expand into developing content and fostering an Oculus ecosystem. There were several articles that came out when Oculus secured another $75 million in funding. There were a lot of hints in those articles that the newest prototype is under 20 ms latency, no longer has motion blur nor the screen door effect, is a higher resolution, has positional tracking, and almost completely eliminates nausea! If that's not news, I don't know what is!

Sure, they haven't told us their exact schedule or the exact specs in the consumer Rift, but have you ever seen a company make a promise of something and then not be able to keep it? "Our game with have flying monkeys!" Then, at release "Unfortunately flying monkeys did not make it into the launch of our game, but hopefully down the road!" and everyone throws a fit and storms away. As Cyber pointed out, it's also a common marketing strategy to give certain news outlets exclusive information to report at events and trade shows. If you want to get great coverage of an announcement, you need to do it when everyone is looking at you.

My final gift to you is a link to the Oculus sub-reddit. It does a pretty good job of day-to-day updates on Oculus news, games, rumors, etc!
The Furious Angels
- an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!
Tbone

Postby Pingles » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Tgaud wrote:And ?

That's not the way news works, unfortunately.

If they announce anything right now (or a week ago...two weeks) then it's a blog post and disappears.

Announce it at CES and if you happen to be the top news of that day then you're on CNN, the big networks, top story on the Tech blogs...best of CES, etc.

It makes sense.

Let's be patient.
Pingles

Postby sneakypoo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Pingles wrote:Let's be patient.

But moOOooOOM! I want it noooooooow!

(Is it sad that a 30+ year old brain is still doing this when it comes to the Rift? Thankfully I'm old enough to suppress it but damn, it's getting louder each day).
sneakypoo

Postby rogeressig » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Bask in your very disappointedness, I say. I find it great fun to hunt for clues to where things are heading. I love watching the interviews and articles, there's a heap of info out there. Keep in mind all the times they've been asked specifics and their response is along the lines of 'not telling, trust us.' I just read the post by Tbone , read that one, it's what I was trying to convey!
rogeressig

Postby Aldin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:22 pm

reverendkyle wrote:You don't HAVE to wait for a trade show, you could always make an announcement on, let's say... a podcast. :D

Worth giving that a shot - hat tip for smooth delivery :D
Aldin Dynamics - Creators of Asunder: Earthbound and Trial of the Rift Drifter.
Join our mailing list - be first to hear news and potential beta testing opportunities.
Those who dance look insane; to those who can't hear the music.
Aldin

Postby reverendkyle » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Aldin wrote:
reverendkyle wrote:You don't HAVE to wait for a trade show, you could always make an announcement on, let's say... a podcast. :D

Worth giving that a shot - hat tip for smooth delivery :D

Thanks. I try. 8-)
Have you listened to the Rev VR Podcast yet?

Listen and subscribe through iTunes or through Stitcher

http://www.reverendkyle.com
reverendkyle

Postby elig » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:07 am

Tgaud wrote:_will there be a"mobile" model ?

This has already been answered by multiple members of the team. I'm surprised you didn't see it since you're keeping up with the news so much. There will not be a mobile model, but the regular model will work on mobile devices.
elig

Next

Return to Oculus General Discussion