Oculus Developer Forums

SNES VR + Source Code

Share your completed Oculus-ready projects with the community.

SNES VR + Source Code

Postby dbaker » Mon May 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Maybe an example of too much time on my hands...
But, I added Oculus Rift support to the snes9x emulator.

Download Here: UPDATED
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dphg7blguosq1n/snes9x-VR.zip

You can use the following keys in Rift mode:
Up/Down Arrow - Move closer/further from screen.
Left Arrow - Reset Sensor Fusion (ie forward direction)

Notes:
Needs some code (like releasing objects), not comprehensively tested.
So I included the source code cause I don't plan to mess with it much.

How to Use:
Extract
Run snes9x.exe
Just Click on the menu Video->Oculus Rift <--You must have a Rift attached or this will be disabled
*you may want to change the Display Configuration to set VSync
ALT+ENTER = Fullscreen

*You will have to find your own ROMS

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mod from bitskipper
See this Link for more Info:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1166&start=20#p20750

insert-move forward
delete-move back
end- reset headtracking
pgup/pgdown - toggle detail levels (none, room, all, all+reflections)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjiunx4lco0mjzv/snes9x%20VRcade.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dbaker on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dbaker

Re: SNES VR + Source Code

Postby drash » Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 pm

Hello! This is very interesting, but it crashes upon running the exe. I have Win8 64-bit, and I tried various compatibility modes but same issue there. If I don't have a Rift attached, would that explain it?

Thanks for sharing this!
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby aaronb4146 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:33 am

drash wrote:Hello! This is very interesting, but it crashes upon running the exe. I have Win8 64-bit, and I tried various compatibility modes but same issue there. If I don't have a Rift attached, would that explain it?

Thanks for sharing this!

It crashed for me too Win 7 64bit, so looks like it don't work with 64bit.
aaronb4146

Postby dbaker » Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 am

Updated Link, Should fix crash...I didn't test WITHOUT a rift attached :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dphg7blguosq1n/snes9x-VR.zip
*updated original post

So you can redownload and try it again, but if you don't have a Rift it's not going any be any more useful then the normal snes9x emulator. (ie it will default back to normal display if you don't have a Rift)

*Only tested on Win7-64, but 100% last crash was due to not having a rift attached.

*edit: added some quick fixes
1. Disables Rift Menu Item if not detected
2. Move back/forward only straight
dbaker

Postby IsoMacintosh » Tue May 21, 2013 9:27 am

As a retro gamer i cant tell you how happy i am.
i actually already have a sfc controller with usb adapter, only missing the rift. :D
IsoMacintosh

Postby 2EyeGuy » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am

Is this 3D?

There is a stereoscopic 3D SNES emulator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkRqY1bRak

https://github.com/tjwei/snes9x-3d
2EyeGuy

Postby Dycus » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 pm

This is sweet! The low res of the Rift isn't even a problem because SNES games are even lower-res. ;) I have a couple feature requests, if you might possibly be interested in working on it more.

It definitely needs the magnetic drift correction. It was off by about 20 degrees after 15 minutes. Or, at the very least, it'd be nice to be able to remap the "reset sensor fusion" key to a gamepad button.
Chromatic aberration correction would be good, but not strictly necessary.
It would be nice to be able to make the screen bigger or smaller without moving closer to it. I'm pretty sure this would be accomplished by moving the virtual images further apart or closer together.
Changing the background color, perhaps?

But it's still pretty sweet, I like it a lot. Great work! :)
Dycus
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby cybereality » Tue May 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Nice.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby 2EyeGuy » Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 am

Being the greedy/imaginative person that I am, Here's what I ideally want in a VR SNES emulator:

* option for life-size screen a realistic distance away (I mean so characters look human-sized)
* option for screen at a realistic angle, for example a top-down screen in a top-down game, or angled screen
* automatically recognizing specific games and applying the above settings automatically for each game (if desired)
* option for playing on a virtual TV in an early 90s themed lounge-room
* stereoscopic 3D support, like in the version I posted, perhaps with depth correction for certain sprites
* Mode 7 high resolution VR support, but that's a lot harder than it sounds, and I couldn't find anyone that tried it
* that one SNES game that almost supported stereoscopic 3D should have it's native stereoscopic 3D working
* motion controls
* head tracking in any game that it makes sense for, eg. Doom, Wolfenstein, Super 3D Noah's Ark, Faceball 2000
* razer hydra light-gun, mouse, and BatterUp emulation
* maybe see the SNES controller in your hand with the razer hydra?
* various background environments for the virtual screen to float in
* optionally using the background colour from the game for the colour of the void
* I don't know if it's possible to make the screen show more of the map than is normally visible (maps are often tile based with more of the tile map in memory than will be drawn on the screen). I messed around with trying that on various consoles, but never really got it working right, so it might not be possible.
* online multiplayer

I don't know if any of those feature ideas will inspire you, or if I am just slightly crazy, but that's my dream wishlist.
2EyeGuy

Postby Harley » Wed May 22, 2013 4:04 am

Would be cool to have RetroArch multi-system frontend for libretro ported to Oculus Eift with the Oculus SDK in just 2D

http://www.libretro.org
http://themaister.net/retroarch.html
RetroArch is a multi-system emulator for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, *BSD, PS3, XBox360, Wii, Android. It is formerly known as SSNES.

Its design and background is quite different than most other emulators as RetroArch does not implement an emulation core itself. RetroArch talks to libretro, a generic emulator core API. This means that RetroArch is core agnostic, and it does not care which emulator core is running.

Currently there are libretro implementations for systems such as SNES, NES, GBA, GB/GBC, Genesis, and even arcade games (Final Burn Alpha).

libretro isn't only usable for emulators. A preliminary port of an open source reimplementation of Cave Story has been ported to libretro as well. Quake (TyrQuake), DOOM (PrBoom) are also ported.

Libretro implementations are maintained in the libretro organization on Github. The official home page for this project is here.

RetroArch believes in modularity. The application itself is a command-line driven application suitable for HTPC and/or headless use. There also exists a GUI frontend for RetroArch, supporting every config option available in RetroArch.

You can seamlessly utilize the GUI without thinking of RetroArch as a command line application, which is a probable scenario for most Windows and OS X users. RetroArch-Phoenix, the GUI frontend, can be found on GitHub.

For support, you should visit the IRC channel #retroarch @ irc.freenode.org, or the forum. There is also a Wiki explaining a couple of things on Github.
Harley

Postby RedWorm » Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 am

Would be awesome if it could be hooked up to cinema VR and use that screen.
RedWorm

Postby Marulu » Wed May 22, 2013 6:22 am

2EyeGuy wrote:* option for life-size screen a realistic distance away (I mean so characters look human-sized)
* option for screen at a realistic angle, for example a top-down screen in a top-down game, or angled screen
* automatically recognizing specific games and applying the above settings automatically for each game (if desired)
* stereoscopic 3D support, like in the version I posted, perhaps with depth correction for certain sprites
* Mode 7 high resolution VR support, but that's a lot harder than it sounds, and I couldn't find anyone that tried it
* that one SNES game that almost supported stereoscopic 3D should have it's native stereoscopic 3D working
* head tracking in any game that it makes sense for, eg. Doom, Wolfenstein, Super 3D Noah's Ark, Faceball 2000

He probably won´t be able to do these things above, because for those he would have to edit and distribute the ROM files, which would be illegal.

@dbaker Keep up the good work, and please integrate magnetic drift correction.
Marulu

Postby saftle » Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am

Marulu wrote:He probably won´t be able to do these things above, because for those he would have to edit and distribute the ROM files, which would be illegal..

This isn't true. Anyone that has been involved in the emulation scene knows that all that is ever released are patches. These are very legal.

Most of the things 2EyeGuy listed are very possible, and I would love to see them being implemented.

But back on topic: This is awesome!
saftle

Postby robsonpr » Wed May 22, 2013 10:37 am

Was this built based on the 3D emulator?
robsonpr

Postby jgoewert » Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 pm

Woot! Played Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on this for a few hours with no eyestrain. This is something I really enjoy doing on the Rift. I did notice the magnetic drift problem. By the time I was done, I was looking about 15 degrees to the right.

I plan on going through your code as this is something I want to get MAME to do as well.

Thanks, dbaker.
jgoewert

Postby Marulu » Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 am

saftle wrote:Anyone that has been involved in the emulation scene knows that all that is ever released are patches. These are very legal.

Oh, sorry I totally forgot about those.
Marulu

Postby spyro » Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 pm

This would be awesome if the game was rendered on a 1991-styled CRT TV with a real room and a real famicon along with a few games, posters in the background. Maybe you could hear some music of the 90ties in the background from a radio while you are in the menu. Basically a 1991 simulator. :D

spyro
spyro

Postby cybereality » Thu May 23, 2013 5:58 pm

+1 w/ the 1991 simulator.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby geekmaster » Thu May 23, 2013 7:37 pm

There are some nice CRT emulator shaders out there, that not only do scan lines but also emulate proper CRT phosphors. This one was ported from BSNES:
http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethread-real-crt-shader-pete_bernert-266904-6083077-0.html

Perhaps such a CRT shader could be combined with Rift pre-warp.
"For the things we have to know before we can do them, we learn by doing them." —Aristotle
"The GREATEST discoveries shall be found in pursuit of diminishing returns." —geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто. Щедрость не имеет пределов.
geekmaster

Postby 2EyeGuy » Fri May 24, 2013 1:04 am

With the Rift's resolution, I think there's no point in trying to do a CRT shader on a 1991 sized TV, since you wouldn't be able to see it.
2EyeGuy

Next

Return to Oculus Showcase