Oculus Developer Forums

Museum of the Microstar - Now with Oculus Rift Support!

Share your completed Oculus-ready projects with the community.

Museum of the Microstar - Now with Oculus Rift Support!

Postby Anton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:12 am

Greetings!

This is Anton over from http://rustltd.com, and we would like to happily present to the Oculus Community, our first project converted over to use the Rift: Museum of the Microstar. Download links can be found here:

http://rustltd.com/news/adventures-in-virtual-reality

When I un-boxed my Rift on Friday, my excitement was tempered by having only a scant few things to try out with it. So I've been racing away since then, slamming the OVR package into our character controller, experimenting with various control styles for head/body, and adjusting a good deal of the post-processing in the project to be better suited for both a smaller resolution, and natural head movement.

I'm incredibly excited to hear what you all think! So please feel free to send us your feedback on the project.

Note: for those of you who have a rift, but don't have the hardware needed to run the piece (its fairly intensive), I'll be recording a video of a play-through soon. It won't be the same experience obviously, but it will be something else to try out!

BIGGER NOTE: Some people are experiencing a lock-up on the main menu with certain display configurations. To play it safe, launch the demo in WINDOWED mode, then alt+enter to full-screen it once you've loaded into the game. We'll get this bug figured out soon!

Credits:
Anton Hand ‐ Game Direction, 3D Art, Visual Effects
Adam Liszkiewicz ‐ Narrative Design, Writing
Lucas Miller ‐ Graphic Design, Writing
Luke Noonan ‐ Development, Sound Design, Writing, Narration
Joshua Ols ‐ Shader Development
Arthur Brusee ‐ Particle System Development
Last edited by Anton on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Anton

Re: Museum of the Microstar - Now with Oculus Rift Support!

Postby amilham » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:34 am

Excellent! About time there was a good Rift showcase other than Tuscany - I've been surprised at the lack of demos so far. I'd expected some artists to have amazing things ready the day after the Rift was delivered.
amilham

Postby drash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:00 am

I'm blown away -- I knew of this from the front page of Unity3d.com for a while, but I had no idea it was publicly available. A huge thank you for this!
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby dbuck » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 am

Hi Anton, thanks for sharing it out! I was excited when I saw your work in the unity contest and even more excited to see it in motion once I get home!
Dave Buchhofer | Interactive Architecture @ EwingCole
dbuck

Postby SiggiG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:43 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but when I click start I spawn inside a room with these red particles constantly moving around me but I cannot move (WASD or controller doesn't work)?

What version of the SDK did you use, and did you change anything? This might be caused by the alpha devkit I have :/
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG
SiggiG

Postby Anton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 am

It is normal that you can't move at the beginning. Listen to the narration :-) You are ejected out of the teleport beam when the narration concludes.
Anton

Postby usb420 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:12 pm

looks fantastic. I really need to upgrade to Windows 7
usb420

Postby lordvtp » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Quite amazing! Really needs the aid of high level AA-multi sampling to deal with pixel 'sparkle' on distant objects. Seems to be an issue with unity rift projects in general....
lordvtp

Postby SiggiG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Anton wrote:It is normal that you can't move at the beginning. Listen to the narration :-) You are ejected out of the teleport beam when the narration concludes.

Ah right! Better put on headphones then :D Very cool, thanks for sharing!
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG
SiggiG

Postby parzival » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Can i run this demo without the Rift? still waiting on my devkit but was hoping to take a look anyways :) . it seems to freeze up at launch (or at least sits at the START screen and doesn't let me click anything)

My pc should be sufficient (8core AMD, 8gb RAM , Radeon HD7970)

Thanks
Mark
parzival

Postby craigalbert » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 pm

This is really beautiful. Especially those sweet, sweet particles. I showed it to a couple friends and they were just captivated.

It's really amazing how a 2d screen really just doesn't give an accurate sense of scale of things. When you look at the monitor as your friend wanders the area, the space looks kinda big. But it's not until you put on the Rift that you really feel how huge the space is.

Great stuff.
craigalbert

Postby PewPewK » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:12 am

craigalbert wrote:This is really beautiful. Especially those sweet, sweet particles. I showed it to a couple friends and they were just captivated.

It's really amazing how a 2d screen really just doesn't give an accurate sense of scale of things. When you look at the monitor as your friend wanders the area, the space looks kinda big. But it's not until you put on the Rift that you really feel how huge the space is.

Great stuff.

I don't have my Rift yet so I checked out the demo on my normal 2D monitor. I could instantly tell that this would be awesome inside the Rift and that I wasn't truly appreciating the scale yet. Glad to hear I wasn't wrong!
PewPewK

Postby edzieba » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:45 am

parzival wrote: it seems to freeze up at launch (or at least sits at the START screen and doesn't let me click anything)
I'm having the same issue. The start/exit screen appears, but does not respond to any mouse or keyboard inputs. My Rift works fine in the Tuscany demo.
edzieba

Postby Anton » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:48 am

If you start the game windowed, but then alt+enter into fullscreen once its running, does it work for you?
Anton

Postby craigalbert » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 am

edzieba wrote:
parzival wrote: it seems to freeze up at launch (or at least sits at the START screen and doesn't let me click anything)
I'm having the same issue. The start/exit screen appears, but does not respond to any mouse or keyboard inputs. My Rift works fine in the Tuscany demo.

We found that MotM won't run (and freezes at the menu) unless the resolution in Windows is set to 1280x800.
craigalbert

Postby edzieba » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 am

Anton wrote:If you start the game windowed, but then alt+enter into fullscreen once its running, does it work for you?

That worked for me, thanks!
edzieba

Postby Jerware » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 am

Congratulations on being the first post ever in the Showcase forum! I look forward to trying this out.
Jerware

Postby cybereality » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:04 pm

This demo was awesome!!! Nice work.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby palmertech » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 pm

I love this! Definitely the best looking Unity demo I have seen on the Rift.

The pace of the game works really well for VR, I think. Waiting for the narration to finish really encourages you to look closely at everything, especially the energy sources in the cases. :)
palmertech
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby CoryandStuff » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:20 am

Okay, the game ran smoothly but I ran into three problems:

The showcase items had black streaks covering them (I guess because they were moving around?)

showcase items.jpeg

The wall had black streaks which would appear and reappear while walking around.

wall.jpeg

The sun was missing, no particles at all, but the robotic arms/generator things were still moving around.

sun.jpeg

I read/implemented all of the suggested directions before playing but I did this without using the oculus rift. (mine hasn't come in yet :cry: ) Not sure if that would make a difference though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoryandStuff

Next

Return to Oculus Showcase