Oculus Developer Forums

VR Player

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Re: VR Player

Postby stephanelx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 am

Quick update:

Yesterday I finally received the Oculus Rift SDK and I must say that I am impressed!

I uploaded a new version of VR Player (0.1.6.0) and changed default settings values for FOV and distance between viewports so that it is now usable out of the box with the rift.

I tried a couple of spherical and 3d side by side videos and I am very happy with the result!
In the next version I will add the oculus head tracking for orientation..

-Stephane
stephanelx

Postby cybereality » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Nice. Can't wait to see more.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby lnrrgb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Sweetness!
lnrrgb

Postby PewPewK » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:59 pm

stephanelx wrote:Quick update:

Yesterday I finally received the Oculus Rift SDK and I must say that I am impressed!

I uploaded a new version of VR Player (0.1.6.0) and changed default settings values for FOV and distance between viewports so that it is now usable out of the box with the rift.

I tried a couple of spherical and 3d side by side videos and I am very happy with the result!
In the next version I will add the oculus head tracking for orientation..

-Stephane

Slick!

One other quick request if you can do it. By default, if we select the plane method for viewing our videos, they seem to appear in a square box. One of the things that I like about Stereoscopic Player's Rift integration so far is that it maintains the video's aspect ratio. Any chance the plane viewing method could be updated to automatically take the aspect ratio of the video?

Anyway, can't wait! Thanks for the awesome video player support :)
PewPewK

Postby Sebbi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:11 am

I got my Rift kit and VR Player seems to work. Awesome and can't wait to try it when you implemented headtracking and if I may add a wish ... display of video from a capture device.

Tried it with some FPV videos (GoPro with high FOV) and headtracking together with realtime video input will make all other FPV gear feel outdated ...
Sebbi

Postby stephanelx » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:19 am

I am already working on it :)
It has been pushed back a little because I really want to make the head tracking works first but as soon as I can, I would like to include playback from various sources including cameras.
stephanelx

Postby stephanelx » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Hello PewPewK ,

PewPewK wrote:One other quick request if you can do it. By default, if we select the plane method for viewing our videos, they seem to appear in a square box. One of the things that I like about Stereoscopic Player's Rift integration so far is that it maintains the video's aspect ratio. Any chance the plane viewing method could be updated to automatically take the aspect ratio of the video?

I uploaded a quick fix on 0.1.6.1 to manually adjust screen size.
The option is in: Tools->Settings...->Projections->Plane->Ratio
You can now watch videos in many formats like 4:3, 9:16... but the ratio is not automatically adjusted based the video file yet.

-Stephane
stephanelx

Postby WormSlayer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Just downloaded the latest version but it insta-crashes when I run it...
WormSlayer

Postby RyanFavale » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:09 am

Sweet! Works pretty well. Now I need a higher res Oculus! ;)
RyanFavale

Postby mediavr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Here is another image format you can try -- SidebySide with Depth Map 360 panorama still
http://www.mediavr.com/chinesegardensbsmap.jpg

the settings for this should be:
Media: Format Side by side
Projection Sphere
Effect Depth Map Side by Side

Display: Layout Side by Side
Distortion: Barrel Distortion for the Rift or None for "cross-eyed free viewing"

Settings: General FOV 110 (or how you like) Horizontal Offset -88
Effect -0.01 for Rift or 0.01 for cross-eyed free viewing

The depth map was generated from a stereo panorama pair using the demo version of Dimenco's @depth and retouched some in Photoshop. There is still a lot of incorrect depth information in the depth map but the effect is very good in a lot of the panorama I think, and it can be made better with more Photoshop work.

The big deal about depth mapped enabled viewing of stereo panoramas is that with a depth map viewer there are no stereo fusing issues with very tilted and or very wide angle views. With viewing interactive (dewarping) twin 360 image panoramas this is a severe problem. So for ultra-wide tracked HMD use of stereo spherical panoramas this is a good thing that this depth map approach works!

PeterM
mediavr

Postby stephanelx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Oculus Rift head tracking is now working!! :D
(Thanks forum members for their help with the c# wrapper)
This is a first iteration and it will be optimized in subsequent versions.

I also updated keyboard shortcuts:
-Space: Play/Pause
-F1: Calibration
-F2: Reset Position & Orientation
-Arrows + PageUp/PageDown: Move camera

Enjoy!

-Stephane
stephanelx

Postby stephanelx » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Peter for the panorama with depth map!
This is some thing I really wanted to try. Only had the chance to test with non-panoramic images.
Beautiful picture.

And for those who are interested, I included a custom panel for adobe softwares (photoshop, bridge, premiere, after effect..) as attachment. This allows to include xmp metata data in media files for VR Player so that user don't have to go through all the configuration steps to view medias the way they should be.

-Stephane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stephanelx

Postby Peejle » Thu May 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Stephane

Could you post a link to that 'high1' spherical video used in the video on your web page?
I thinks it's in .fl4 format. I'd like a vid that I know will work with your app.
Thanks.

Peejle
Peejle

Postby rmcclelland » Fri May 03, 2013 12:41 pm

VR player worked great for me. I like the options available and the ability to deal with different aspect ratios etc.

The only issue I had is the the tracking seems a little jumpy, ie not as smooth as Oculus Video Player viewtopic.php?f=29&t=711&hilit=vr+player

Thanks for this! I can totally see myself watching movies with this. Looks like its time to sell my 3D PJ.
rmcclelland

Postby stephanelx » Sat May 04, 2013 10:07 am

@Peejle

Peejle wrote:Could you post a link to that 'high1' spherical video used in the video on your web page?
I thinks it's in .fl4 format. I'd like a vid that I know will work with your app.

This is the link to the Coachella festival: http://www.youtube.com/coachella
You can also check out the austin city limit music festival: http://cdn.ogointeractive.com/ACLlive/index.html

@rmcclelland

rmcclelland wrote:The only issue I had is the the tracking seems a little jumpy

You are correct, the tracking is a little slower because I did not set the priority high enough when pulling the data from the oculus rift wrapper. I will try to correct this issue in the next version. Thanks for the feedback.

-Stephane
stephanelx

Postby ghostlyfu » Tue May 28, 2013 8:28 am

Thanks so much for developing VRPlayer. There is a lot of discussion on 360 video/Rift integration on this forum - it seems to me that VRPlayer goes a long way to making this a reality. I'm working on a number of VFX-heavy Rift 'movies' at the moment (but don't have my Rift yet to test them). This is only possible thanks to the VRPlayer/Rift combo.

Anyone who's interested in making similar (stereoscopic, head-tracked, 360 'immersive' video for the Rift) might be interested in Ralf Habel/Andrew Hazelden's equirectangular Maya shader (http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/2011/01/latlong_lens-and-cubemap_lens-mental-ray-shaders-compiled-for-maya-2011-x64-on-windows/) and Red Giant's Trapcode Horizon plug-in for After Effects (http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/trapcode-horizon/).

Take a look then let your imagination run wild! This really could be the next phase in filmmaking...
ghostlyfu

Postby stephanelx » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:58 am

Hi ghostlyfu,

Thank you for the feedback and the links.
Until you get your rift, if you are looking for a tester for your VFX movies, do not hesitate to contact me! :D

-Stephane
stephanelx

Postby stephanelx » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Quick update on the project: I just release version 0.3.1

There was a problem with the distortion pixel shader causing eye strain but it has been fixed.
The plugin system is starting to take shape. Each plugin has his own folder so it's now possible to delete unused plugin or add custom projections, distortions, effects and trackers.

I am now working on a new type of plugins: the Media source plugin.
The objective is to support files, urls, live feeds, cameras, dvd/blueray, etc..

With the supports of camera, I will be able to add an augmented reality marker tracker for positional tracking.
Also, I would like to project virtual movie screen on an AR marker. By sticking a physical marker to the wall in my living room, I would be able to watch a movie on any size of tv screen within a "real world" context.

I am also experimenting on an idea proposed by Skaven252 on Mtbs forum: video stabilization using Deshaker (http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm) log files. It's a promising idea for 360 videos. Stabilizing regular movies crops borders witch is not acceptable in a spherical movies. The idea is to use the data to move and rotate the camera instead.

Finally, I'm still working on xmp meta data to store settings into media files or in side-car files. I will add a couple of new fields in the next releases.

If you have comments/ideas or if you are producing media content and you would like advice or need a specific feature, please do not hesitate to contact me!

-Stephane
stephanelx

Postby mediavr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi Stephane
I got my Rift now and it is amazing to be able to test your player in that. Here is a video in stereo cylindrical over/under format users might like to try (available for a couple of weeks on Yousendit) -- the image section of each L/R video is 180 degrees wide
http://www.yousendit.com/download/WFJXWUh1UzdtUUVQWWNUQw
or you can download it from Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE_s1maTsPk&hd=1

In VR Player you need the following settings:
Media -- Format -- Over/under
-- Projection - Cylinder
-- Effects - None

Device -- Layout -- Side by Side
-- Distortion -- Barrel
-- Tracker -- Oculus Rift

Tools -- Setting -- Fov 110
-- Horizontal Offset -- 72
-- Vertical Offset -- 0
-- Effects -- None
-- Distortion -- Barrel -- 1.45
-- Tracker -- Oculus Rift

thanks again for the great player --

it would be great if one could dlrectly use less than 360 images in spherical or cylindrical format (rather than having to pad them out to 360) -- say side by side spherical (equirectangular) 180 degrees wide.

PeterM
mediavr

Postby stephanelx » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:35 am

Hey Peter,

I am glad that you received your Rift and your video looks great!!

stephanelx wrote:it would be great if one could dlrectly use less than 360 images in spherical or cylindrical format (rather than having to pad them out to 360) -- say side by side spherical (equirectangular) 180 degrees wide.

Done. A new parameter will be available in the Cylinder Projection plugin: Angle with a range from 0 to 360 degrees.
The modification will be included in the next release which is coming very soon. (Contact me in PM if you want an early version.)

Btw, the next version of VR Player support video streaming including youtube so you won't have to upload videos on multiple sites anymore :D

-Stephane
stephanelx

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress