Oculus Developer Forums

Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

Postby Attreyu » Sat May 25, 2013 3:01 am

Hi all, I'm a young systems engineer from Spain with a passion for architecture, topography, surveilling, photogrammetry and gaming.

In about 2 weeks I'll be launching an IndieGogo campaign (I'm european so I can't submit projects for KickStarter) for a similar product, a treadmill simulator that would have the added advantage that all the sensors would be built in (walking, turning, jumping, crouching) at 120 Hz response frequency (basically zero latency/lag, the same you have from using a keyboard/mouse combo).

You wouldn't need a Kinect or a Hydra at an added cost and you wouldn't need to wear those Virtuix special shoes to be able to slide, like in the Virtuix or the cvasi-walk like with the WizDish. You'd be able to crouch properly, instead of bending. You'd be able to sit down when you get tired after all that moving around.

The system is natively compatible with any platform - Windows, Mac OSX and Linux are supported out of the box, no special drivers needed, you plug it in and it's set to go. And most of all, the price would be around 250€.

The concept is orientated towards virtual exploration and tourism (real monuments, historic sites and other places of interest modeled and rendered using powerful gaming engines like the CryEngine) but FPS gamers would find it quite tight in addition to the Oculus, whenever the latter will be launched. Until then, players would be able to shoot ahead without an Oculus, using a normal monitor screen or a HDTV, since everything would be motion ready and fitted with all the necesary sensors.

Stay tuned for more details.

Youtube demos to follow and other details on http://www.viiwok.com during the next few weeks.
ViiWok
Attreyu

Re: Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

Postby EisernSchild » Sat May 25, 2013 4:10 am

Sounds great, can´t wait to see Your detailed plans !

We Europeans can´t submit to KickStarter, really ?
EisernSchild

Postby Attreyu » Sat May 25, 2013 4:46 am

Nope, only our friends from the US and the UK. It's a shame really but what can you do...
ViiWok
Attreyu

Postby Ananas » Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 am

Sounds cool. Can you show any pictures or tell what's the technology behind this?
Ananas

Postby Attreyu » Sat May 25, 2013 8:57 am

I'm finishing the prototype assembly this weekend. Will post pictures and videos next week as soon as it's ready.

It's similar to the Virtuix Omni but also to the WizDish as far as external design goes, but the mechanism of working is different.
ViiWok
Attreyu

Postby MannyLectro » Sun May 26, 2013 4:10 pm

If it is as effecient as you say I would definitely be one of your first client !
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
MannyLectro

Postby Zoide » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:10 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know that I translated and posted specifications in the other Viiwok thread:https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1223#p15789
Zoide

Return to Works in Progress