Oculus Developer Forums

Deskope - Do Anything in Windows with the Rift

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Deskope - Do Anything in Windows with the Rift

Postby AngelJ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Deskope is an application which allows you to work in Windows with the Rift. The only requirement is that the Rift be in extended desktop mode. It works on any Windows from XP to 8.

The control panel has changed a bit since I made this video but it should get you going.

Most settings are written to the registry automatically but some can be changed manually at: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Deskope

I look forward to your feedback.
If you used Deskope before v1.1 (it had an MFC icon instead of the one of the Rift), please delete the entire Deskope registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Deskope) to make sure v1.1 runs correctly.
Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/deskope
Source Code: https://github.com/AngelJA/Deskope (sorry, old source code, I'll remove this message when I update it)

Known Issues:
- On Vista/7 you may see 1 1/2 mouse cursors (twice in one eye, once in the other). You can mostly avoid this by using extended displays instead of cloned.

Note: Deskope is free! I urge you to download and enjoy it guilt free and free of charge! However, if you really enjoy Deskope and would like to show your gratitude for all the work I've put into it, I would be flattered and super grateful to accept your donations. :D
Last edited by AngelJ on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:24 am, edited 10 times in total.
AngelJ

Re: Deskope - Work in Windows with the Rift

Postby AngelJ » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Also, thanks to geekmaster for the PTZ tweening idea: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16543

Although I think it needs tweaking in my application as I haven't seen the performance improvement I was expecting.
AngelJ

Postby geekmaster » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:21 am

AngelJ wrote:Also, thanks to geekmaster for the PTZ tweening idea: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16543

Although I think it needs tweaking in my application as I haven't seen the performance improvement I was expecting.

I love the new features you added since I last played with this. I will check out the source code soon. I am interested in your implementation of PTZ Tweening.

The speedup for PTZ Tweening is greatly dependent on the capture rate for reading from your video card (the "rendering" part of your app, as referred to in my in my PTZ Tweening thread). You may have a card that is fast enough for this to not make a big difference. It should make a very significant difference for some older or value-priced video cards, and especially for CPU-intensive and/or memory intensive rendering. As mentioned in a recent post in my thread, I recently discovered that this method has been used by others for quite some time, masquerading under other names and using other terminology.

Redefined terminology is another reason why patents should never apply to software.
"For the things we have to know before we can do them, we learn by doing them." —Aristotle
"The GREATEST discoveries shall be found in pursuit of diminishing returns." —geekmaster
Всё гениальное просто. Щедрость не имеет пределов.
geekmaster

Postby jayoh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 pm

holy moly.

setting the zoom to .8 and i can almost use this as a monitor replacement! restricting the mouse cursor is brilliant as well.

i'm curious why the roll isn't supported? the windows/view rolls with my head instead of keeping the screen "fixed."
i'm building STV.RE
jayoh

Postby antigravity » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Freaking ridiculous!
Wowowowow.

Nice work!

a) incorporate head tilt and roll to keep image stabilized horizontal.
b) when viewing sbs footage, find a way to remove the two ghost playbacks to the left and right of the 3d-content.. a bit jarring to see left eye or right eye only content on screen.
c) allow for more zooming-in on sbs content.

bad ass program.

AG
antigravity

Postby geekmaster » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 am

antigravity wrote:Freaking ridiculous!
Wowowowow.

Nice work!

a) incorporate head tilt and roll to keep image stabilized horizontal.
b) when viewing sbs footage, find a way to remove the two ghost playbacks to the left and right of the 3d-content.. a bit jarring to see left eye or right eye only content on screen.

bad ass program.

AG

This program is DESIGNED to NOT cause pixel distortion (other than simple resizing). It uses blits (rectangular area copies) from the Desktop to the Rift display. It would be possible to do rotation (roll) by using a custom blitter, but that would operate a lot slower (unless done in GLSL) and would make the text a lot more blurry, defeating the main purpose of this program.

The source code is available, if you with to inspect how and why it does what it does.

That said, when used to view 3D movie content, head roll would be a nice (optional) feature, but may also require additional processing power (CPU and/or GPU).
"For the things we have to know before we can do them, we learn by doing them." —Aristotle
"The GREATEST discoveries shall be found in pursuit of diminishing returns." —geekmaster
geekmaster

Postby antigravity » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 am

geekmaster wrote:This program is DESIGNED to NOT cause pixel distortion (other than simple resizing). It uses blits (rectangular area copies) from the Desktop to the Rift display. It would be possible to do rotation (roll) by using a custom blitter, but that would operate a lot slower (unless done in GLSL) and would make the text a lot more blurry, defeating the main purpose of this program.

Yeah, I definitely caught the drift that you'd be playing with fire in terms of straight static frame legibility if a rotation transform was introduced..

But frankly after spending a week with this early low-res rift, it seems perceived resolution is really based on how much you move your head while staying focused on your point of interest.. The detail perceived ends up being related to the rough sum average of pixels switched on/off over time to represent the area of interest. Especially with so few dedicated pixels per eye..

So by that token, even if the individual frames take a fidelity hit- your ability to comfortably pixel collect improves with a stable horizon.. So I couldn't say for certain which would ultimately look better or be more usable.

AG
antigravity

Postby AngelJ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for the feedback and kind words guys.

I'll make the roll tracking/rotation thing a priority. geekmaster knows this program well, his explanation about that is dead on.

antigravity wrote:b) when viewing sbs footage, find a way to remove the two ghost playbacks to the left and right of the 3d-content.. a bit jarring to see left eye or right eye only content on screen.

b) I agree completely. I just haven't thought of a clever solution yet.
c) You can change the ranges of the sliders in the registry. The key you'd want to change is called "Zoom Maximum".
AngelJ

Postby antigravity » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 pm

AngelJ wrote:Thanks for the feedback and kind words guys.

I'll make the roll tracking/rotation thing a priority. geekmaster knows this program well, his explanation about that is dead on.

c) You can change the ranges of the sliders in the registry. The key you'd want to change is called "Zoom Maximum".

Yeah the roll-tracking addition would be out of this world..

Thanks for the registry heads-up! Can't wait to try when I get back to the studio.

best,
AG
antigravity

Postby cybereality » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Awesome work. I makes Windows almost usable with the Rift. Of course typing is still an issue, but I can see using this for basic Windows tasks. Nice!
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby geekmaster » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 pm

cybereality wrote:Awesome work. I makes Windows almost usable with the Rift. Of course typing is still an issue, but I can see using this for basic Windows tasks. Nice!

Did you try activating the Windows onscreen keyboard?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-the-onscreen-keyboard-in-windows-7.html
geekmaster

Postby Fluke » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Fantastic! Had me genuinely laughing at the size of everything :) Another one of those programs that makes you want a higher res screen, though it's still surprisingly usable on the current one.

@Geekmaster - good tip about the on-screen keyboard. I hadn't even thought of that (I've never had the need to use it before).
Fluke

Postby AngelJ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:16 pm

cybereality wrote:Awesome work. I makes Windows almost usable with the Rift. Of course typing is still an issue, but I can see using this for basic Windows tasks. Nice!

Thanks cybereality! I don't really have a problem with typing as long as I can find f and j by feel. Don't you use a different keyboard layout?
Fluke wrote:Fantastic! Had me genuinely laughing at the size of everything Another one of those programs that makes you want a higher res screen, though it's still surprisingly usable on the current one.

Thanks! Yeah, this will be nicer when the Rift has a higher res screen.

Just made some quick fixes for hotkeys in 8 and it should work in XP now. Newest version is in the OP.
AngelJ

Postby jf032 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Don't have my Rift yet, but I'm definitely going to try this out when I get it.

Suggestion: come up with a version numbering scheme, and put it in each new Deskope .zip filename, so when there is a new version, it is more obvious to users.
jf032

Postby drash » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Is there any possibility of getting this to work without the extended desktop requirement? I use an HDMI splitter and have the same thing show up on both my single monitor and on my Rift.
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby AngelJ » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 am

jf032 wrote:Suggestion: come up with a version numbering scheme, and put it in each new Deskope .zip filename, so when there is a new version, it is more obvious to users.

You're right, I ought to start numbering these.

drash wrote:Is there any possibility of getting this to work without the extended desktop requirement? I use an HDMI splitter and have the same thing show up on both my single monitor and on my Rift.

Unfortunately, no. But you might be able to use this by setting up virtual displays with something like zonescreen. http://zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm
AngelJ

Postby wavefunction84 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:32 am

This works great for playing non-VR games inside the Rift. Most games will work if you run them in a window (full screen doesn't work) and set the zoom so the game takes up the Rift's FOV (I set the window size to a few notches below my monitor's native res). Just make sure you disable Deskope's tracking if you want to use the game's tracking.

I recommend trying it with Arma III because you can use Opentrack, which creates flawless headtracking in the game. I also found the ingame text to be perfectly readable.

Great program, by the way! So early on and already so perfect.
wavefunction84

Postby TriOptimum » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:20 pm

This is my favorite solution for playing non supported games in VR. I can't get Vireio to work, lol. This is so simple and worked immediately! My only suggestion so far is to increase the range of the zoom slider (registry edit for now :D). Oh, and I didn't know how my IPD in mm would translate to pixels for image separation, so that setting confused me. Thanks, and keep the updates coming :)!
TriOptimum

Postby AngelJ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks guys! Playing games should be better in the next version as I'm hoping for an improvement in the frame rate.

wavefunction84 wrote:So early on and already so perfect.

This actually isn't as new as it might seem. I originally made a very rough version of this years ago to use with my Vuzix HMD.

TriOptimum wrote:Oh, and I didn't know how my IPD in mm would translate to pixels for image separation, so that setting confused me

I've been meaning to put in the separation in mm too but just never got around to it. As it is I was hoping people could just adjust it until it felt comfortable.
AngelJ

Postby TriOptimum » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 pm

AngelJ wrote:I've been meaning to put in the separation in mm too but just never got around to it. As it is I was hoping people could just adjust it until it felt comfortable.

Yeah, that worked fine for me for now :D. Only problem is, most of the ranges look okay, so probably it is causing eye strain. What's the base pixel to IPD measurement? My IPD is 57, which isn't far off from the most common default of 60-65 iirc.

One feature I thought of I'd like - a mode where it still lets you adjust the zoom but doesn't track anything (mouse or head tracker in oculus) so that it jsut centers on a full screen app, regardless of mouseor rift tracker input. I could use this for one game in particular.

Looking forward to updates ^_^!! Thanks again for sharing!
TriOptimum

Next

Return to Works in Progress