Oculus Developer Forums

Lunar Flight - Steam PC/Mac (Built for VR)

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Lunar Flight - Steam PC/Mac (Built for VR)

Postby sh0v0r » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi everyone!

You can now try Lunar Flight out for yourself!

Lunar Flights Oculus Rift Support has been optimised to be a Complete Rift Experience, this includes a custom built cockpit with context sensitive input as well as an entirely new 3D UI & Menu system!

You can get Lunar Flight from Steam for just $10 US

Please consider buying it via the Humble Widget on my website, I receive a greater portion of the revenue. Here:
http://www.shovsoft.com/lunarflight/?p=420

Once you have played the game please visit the Official Oculus Share website and rate/comment on your experience: https://share.oculusvr.com/app/lunar-flight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Player Profiles

A default player profile will be created for you if you have not played Lunar Flight before. It will use your Windows Username. This profile is an 'Offline' profile that doesn't upload to the Leaderboard. If you wish to use the leaderboard you will need to Disconnect your Oculus Rift from the USB and restart the game where you can access the 2D Profile creation menu.

Basic Controls:

[IMPORTANT!] You must first look at the 'Main Power Button' on your right and switch it on! ;)

NOTE: If you have played Lunar Flight before or you have any problems with input, you may need to go into /documents/saved games/lunar flight and delete the 'inputdata.dat' file so that the new inputs are added to the file.

Special Rift Mode Only Keyboard Inputs

- Camera Modes
F1 = Cockpit
F2 = Chase (Follow)
F3 = Flyby

- Other
F5 = Toggle Display FPS Counter
F6 = Toggle HUD Info Labels
B = Reset Tracker Orientation

Enter/Return = Will open the Main Menu when looking forward and can be used for any (A) Button inputs
Tab = Context Input (When you see a green arrow you can interact with that object) can be used for any (Y) Button inputs

XBox 360 Controller - Recommended!

Currently only the X360 controller is officially supported, you can use the keyboard but you may encounter issues.

Triggers - Primary Thruster (increment/decrement thrust with thrust lock on) (Space & Left Shift Keyboard)
Bumpers = Yaw (Facing Rotation) (Q, E Keyboard)
Left Stick - Translate Thrusters (Forward, Backward, Left Right) (WASD Keyboard)
Right Stick - Rotate Thrusters (Pitch & Roll) (Arrow Keys Keyboard)

(A) - Most Menu interactions, Fires missiles when not on the landing pad.(Right Shift Keyboard)
(X) - Drops flares when not on the landing pad. (Right Ctrl Keyboard)
(B) - Cycles your navigation or target selection in Multiplayer (< & > keyboard)
(Y) - Context button for interacting with the Cockpit (Anything with a little green arrow) (Tab Keyboard)

Start - Opens the Main Menu, selects Missions when you are looking at the Mission Computer Page on the Left Display
Back - Toggles the Thrust lock (Left Ctrl Keyboard)
DPad Up - Upload/Unload (U Keyboard)
DPad Down - Recover Lost Cargo (Backspace Keyboard)
Dpad Left/Right - Cycle Mission Selection when Mission Computer is open. ([, ] Keyboard)

Left Stick Button - Acquire Data (When in Survey Mission Zone) (Left Alt Keyboard)

Custom Input Configuration

You can access a full Input configuration setup by running the game in Normal Mode. To do this disconnect your Oculus Rift from the USB and then start the game. Once at the 'Start' screen you can access the 'Options' menu by clicking the button at the top of the screen. You can configure just about any type of setup including multiple devices like HOTAS controllers.

Replays

Lunar Flight features a Replay system and comes with several demo replay files. You can start a Replay from the Main menu. Replays are a good way to demo the game to your friends on the Rift if they find flying too challenging but want to experience what it's like.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #15 - 11th November - Latest Dev Update Video

Latest Dev Update Video features several new cockpit features including the Flight Recorder and Context Info toggle.

Last edited by sh0v0r on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 69 times in total.
sh0v0r

Re: Lunar Flight

Postby sammaz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:55 pm

AWESOME!!! I played it a while back and it is Newtonian ACCURATE!!!

It is a perfect fit for the Oculus because of the fixed player position :)

Cant wait!
sammaz

Postby craigotron » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm

There's no bookmark feature here that I can see, so I'm using this comment as a way to remember about this. Sorry if that's annoying.

It's all in the service of making sure I check out Lunar Flight. Looks fascinating.

Thanks!
craigotron

Location: an island in the net, cyberspace, the metaverse, the matrix, oasis and a meat locker somewhere.

Postby Marvn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 am

craigotron wrote:There's no bookmark feature here that I can see, so I'm using this comment as a way to remember about this. Sorry if that's annoying.

It's all in the service of making sure I check out Lunar Flight. Looks fascinating.

Thanks!

There's a bookmark feature at the bottom of the page. "Bookmark topic" and also "Subscribe topic".

This looks really great, must have missed it so far. I just recently remembered Battlezone 1 and figured it would be great with the Oculus Rift. To actually feel like you're on the moon. Will check this out later and I'm looking forward to Rift support. I hope it's not too resource hungry and my notebook can keep up.
Marvn

Postby craigotron » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks, Marvn. Appreciated.
craigotron

Location: an island in the net, cyberspace, the metaverse, the matrix, oasis and a meat locker somewhere.

Postby traden1976 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 pm

I bought your game on Desura a while back, love it! I was thinking it would make a great Oculus game.
traden1976

Postby sh0v0r » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm glad to hear some of you have played the game, the Multiplayer up is due in a few weeks time and has a host of other improvements including weapons and some new difficulty options so I hope you guys will be keen to check that out.

I'm still contemplating how to best use the Rift, initially I'm going to try restricting it to full screen HUD and allow you to look around. I don't have a fully modeled LM interior to support a virtual cockpit... yet! But that would be cool!

I'm going to have to create a new HUD display system I'm pretty sure about that to help communicate your Velocity Vector and orientation.

I'm also interested in trying it as a 3rd Person camera and use the head tracking for orbiting like a mouse and have a sensitivity graph like the Track IR software uses so it can have a soft dead center. I could possibly also use this to control pitch, yaw and roll thrusts.
sh0v0r

Postby sh0v0r » Sat May 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Just a bump for the new videos... I'm definitely planning a VR cockpit, it might be an abstraction from what the LM's cockpit looks like with customized centered viewpoint with a spherical canopy.
sh0v0r

Postby sh0v0r » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:29 am

Updated the OP to show the work done so far.
sh0v0r

Re: Lunar Flight - New Video

Postby drash » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 am

Wow, awesome! Great work on this cockpit. Got everything you need right around you there. Also, good to see human settlements on Mars. :D
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Re: Lunar Flight - New Video

Postby sh0v0r » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:48 pm

drash wrote:Wow, awesome! Great work on this cockpit. Got everything you need right around you there. Also, good to see human settlements on Mars. :D

Thanks I'm really happy with how it is coming along, can't wait to be able to release it so others can experience it. :)
sh0v0r

Re: Lunar Flight - Video #3 - Cockpit HUD & Missions

Postby sh0v0r » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Updated the OP with the latest video update
sh0v0r

Re: Lunar Flight - Video #3 - Cockpit HUD & Missions

Postby Frito » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 pm

MP dude? Niceee, thats a first for demos so far 8-)
Backer
"Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
Frito

Re: Lunar Flight - Video #4 - Calibration Stage, 3D Menus

Postby sh0v0r » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Update #4
sh0v0r

Postby sven » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Nice! Keep us updated.
sven

Postby arcane » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:44 pm

This looks great, looking forward to checking it out in person at PAX Aus.
Order #54XXX --- Sydney, Australia --- Frequent Lurker, Sometimes Poster
arcane

Postby drash » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:11 am

Color me impressed, the video for update #4 is the most polished thing I have ever seen! :shock: *mad applause*
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby VRoom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:33 am

This looks crazy good! Can't wait to try it out :shock:
VRoom

Postby Salamande » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:44 pm

I've always enjoyed this game, can't wait to see it on the Rift. This will probably be the most polished experience yet.
Salamande

Postby sh0v0r » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:48 am

drash wrote:Color me impressed, the video for update #4 is the most polished thing I have ever seen! :shock: *mad applause*

Thanks Drash!

I'm gunna start sending people some Steam Keys to try it out very soon... ;)
sh0v0r

Next

Return to Works in Progress