Oculus Developer Forums

Super Mega Mega - New builds 7th Oct

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Super Mega Mega - New builds 7th Oct

Postby bluntgames » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Hey there I've been playing with some ideas for VR games and here's one of them:
A VR platformer game designed for the Rift. Inspired by the old school Megaman and Metroid styles, re-invented for VR.

Still testing the concept and using stand-in art/sound...
promo6.png

Grab a build here:
http://blunt-instrument.com/dev/supermegamega

Update 11th September:

Finally uploaded the mac build! Sorry mac users, let me know if it actually works btw :P
shortcut to mac build here

Update 26th August 2013:

New Build!
Most of the work being done at the moment is behind the scenes. Level editor details and general gameplay support code.
This build has a couple of extra tweaks from the previous one. One being a new enemy type :D

Update 9th August 2013:
After a small break, I'm back working on this game. Posting a video showing a couple of things being added at the moment.

More to come! All feedback appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bluntgames on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:29 am, edited 9 times in total.
Super Mega Mega - VR Action Platforming
Version 0.18 available for free download now!
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Re: Super Mega Mega

Postby Frito » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:12 pm

wow im loving that camera, dlin!

Txs Blunt
Backer
"Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
Frito

Postby drash » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Well geez, I'd say this demo is a must-play! Completely awesome adaptation of old school platformers. Very intuitive to get into, and gets pretty challenging. I love the look and feel of the blocks, and having nested cylinders to jump around between is perfect for showing off the stereoscopy.

Please keep us posted on what you do next!

Oh, and I wasn't sure what to do when it lets me "target" a monster using the Y button. It just turns the target reticle red for me, and that's it. What was the intention for that?
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby Peejle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 pm

I think you have a promising start.

3 quick things:
Closer blocks should be transparent (or cam angle changed) when you are on the second or third ring so you can see your character.
The blocks need to 'line up' or somehow make it more obvious which one you will be teleporting to when switching rings.
A little gentler learning curve on the second level.

Can't wait to try your next version and congrats on the first (I think?) platformer made for the Rift!

Peejle
Peejle

Postby bluntgames » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:14 pm

drash wrote:Please keep us posted on what you do next!

Oh, and I wasn't sure what to do when it lets me "target" a monster using the Y button. It just turns the target reticle red for me, and that's it. What was the intention for that?

Thanks, I'll keep posting as often as I can :)

The Y button stuff isn't properly working yet. It's going to be a multi purpose system for the player weapon variants. Still playing with it and other ideas too.
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Postby bluntgames » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Peejle wrote:Closer blocks should be transparent (or cam angle changed) when you are on the second or third ring so you can see your character.
The blocks need to 'line up' or somehow make it more obvious which one you will be teleporting to when switching rings.
A little gentler learning curve on the second level.

Can't wait to try your next version and congrats on the first (I think?) platformer made for the Rift!

Peejle

Thanks for the feedback. It definitely needs a lot of work! I was thinking about just showing an outline of the player character when it's behind a block. And it's certainly too hard :)
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Postby boone188 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Dude that was awesome! This is exactly how I imaged Super Rift Boy would work. I feel like the final level can be a bit nausea-inducing though, because you're spinning in circles.
boone188
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby MrGeddings » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 pm

WOW THATS ONE OF THE COOLEST DEMOS! seriously! its a simple concept but nicely done! when i saw the screenshot of this looked like curved level thing i thought it would be in first person mode, and i was like hmm dont know about that. but playing it , it actually is really cool. i also am a backer to ghost in the machine another 2d rift game but has 3d backgrounds (more akin to the virtual boy type game though) but yeah i think 2d side scrolling games can be done cool in VR.

this was a very unique take on it in that you have full 360 headtracking unlike say ghost in the machine where you really have no head trackng as everything is actually 2d.

really nicely done. did you use deffered rendering though? that will degrade the quality on the Rift if you do. i use foward rendering, however since its more of a low pixelated game anyways i guess its not that big of an issue.

nicely done :-P did you use just a 2d sprite as the charecter controller ? hehe anyways really cool idea though! i love it!
MrGeddings

Postby bluntgames » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Hey thanks! It's certainly fun to play around with. It's distracted me from the other projects I'm supposed to be working on but that probably means it's something cool.

So far I'm still trying out different level structures and mechanics before it turns into a real game production. I'd like to get a solid set of gameplay mechanics that focus on using head tracking and the 'surrounded' level feeling.

At the moment the demo does use deferred rendering but I haven't encountered any problems. What is the nature of the issues caused here? I'll take a look at switching it. There's no real reason why it's using deferred. It just defaulted to that.

And yes the characters are 2d sprites.
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Postby danworld » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:29 am

Thanks for sharing your progress on this great idea!

I was a backer of Ghost in the Machine, and that's a fine game for what it is, but this is like night and day compared to that. GOTM was not designed from the ground up for VR and it didn't include any head tracking.
danworld

Postby jasonatokc » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:35 am

This is beyond a doubt the best platformer I have played on the rift!! Keep up the Great Work!! I loved the demo.
jasonatokc

Postby Nannou » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:31 am

This is a totally unique example of what the Rift can do to a game. Massive props man!

My one issue is that on the first level, if I die on the spikes closest to me, the game tends to throw up an error and I can't respawn.
Nannou

Postby bluntgames » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:47 am

Nannou wrote:This is a totally unique example of what the Rift can do to a game. Massive props man!

My one issue is that on the first level, if I die on the spikes closest to me, the game tends to throw up an error and I can't respawn.

Thanks!

I'll check out the spikes :)
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Postby OculusOptician » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:05 am

Best name for a game ever.
Have a VR game or demo you would like to promote, send us a PM:
VENTUREVR http://www.VentureVR.com
OculusOptician

Postby Xemakon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Wow, this is very cool. Glad too see someone pull off something that's completely different. It isn't first person, yet still highly immersive. It like NES Metroid or Super Mario in 360 :D

2 points of criticism;

-Not sure if the shaking screen effect when shooting is a good idea.
-How do I reset the game when my character dies? All I can do is look around, unable to respawn. (I suck at platformers)
Xemakon

Postby bluntgames » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 am

Thanks!

Xemakon wrote:2 points of criticism;

-Not sure if the shaking screen effect when shooting is a good idea.
-How do I reset the game when my character dies? All I can do is look around, unable to respawn. (I suck at platformers)

I'm curious to know why you don't like the shake... did it make you feel sick at all?

The reset problem was a bug.. I've updated the build to fix it :)
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Postby Xemakon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:21 pm

I wouldn't go as far as saying it makes me feel sick, but I do find it somewhat off-putting.

That being said, I have a rather small ipd (56.5) so I am a bit more susceptible to nausea than others.

Anyway, thanks for making a great game, I'll check out the new build tonight when I get off off work.
Xemakon

Postby Ananas » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Wow. This was one of the best games I've tried. Shows well how Rift can work with sidescrollers.
If this was a full, polished game for Rift I would buy one immediately.
Ananas

Postby bluntgames » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Ananas wrote:Wow. This was one of the best games I've tried. Shows well how Rift can work with sidescrollers.
If this was a full, polished game for Rift I would buy one immediately.

Planning on working on it more. Aiming to have a longer, polished version ready some time before the consumer Rift is ready (whenever that is!).
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Re: Super Mega Mega - New video 9th August

Postby bluntgames » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 am

Updated the OP with some videos from an upcoming build
twitter | facebook
bluntgames

Next

Return to Works in Progress