Oculus Developer Forums

Planet 1

A forum for sharing your incomplete projects with the community.

Planet 1

Postby zwickarr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Hello, I made this "game" over the weekend. lots to do, but its fun to fly and drive around...and dodging asteroids.

made a quick video:
http://vimeo.com/65031510

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2203135/Planet1.zip

planet1fx.jpg

this works best with a x360 controller, didnt really test with anything else.

you start off in the ship and look around, video screen is a rear facing camera.

press/hold "A" button to boost the ship.

If you press the "X" button you will drop into your "moon rover" and you can drive around. the truck physics can get kinda crazy, still needs lots of tweaking.

if you press the "Y" button you will hop out of the ship and you can walk around a bit and find out most of the ship isn't built. Sill need to build the ship so you can walk around while its in auto pilot.

if you are in the Rover and you press "Y" you will jump out, cant get back in yet.

press "R" to reset the level. good to press this after you strap on the Rift.

press "Z" to spawn clouds to fly through, but the framerate gets low, so you may get sick. :)

A bunch of asteroids come flying in hitting the ground close to where you start, they wont kill you

you can fly up into space and then look back and see the planet you were on. cant go back yet.

lots more to do!

-z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zwickarr on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
zwickarr

Re: Planet 1

Postby lazydodo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:32 pm

The flying made me kinda sick while i was figuring out the controls. I liked the impacts all around me, would be nice if there was permanent damage to the landscape though.
lazydodo

Postby zwickarr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm

yea flying is tricky with zero gravity. I think the roll is too sensitive. I was trying to just use the 2 joysticks to intuitively control the ship. or maybe i need to make it less sensitive overall.

definitely want to damage the terrain when meteors hit...but i want to get the flying right and getting a cool feeling transition from sky to space.
zwickarr

Postby space123321 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 am

Loved this and experienced no motion sickness - great job!
space123321

Postby mbuehler » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 am

I'll second that, this is great! Really like the feeling of being in the ship, the lighting, and the sense of scale. Stuff seems huge! The ability to jump out I didn't realize until I hit that accidentally lol :) Looking forward to more!
mbuehler

Postby drash » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Only watched part of the video (up to where the meteors started falling), and then stopped because I don't want to "spoil it" too much until I can experience it for real with a Rift. I'm that impressed! That is one seriously exotic looking landscape and atmosphere, really awesome work on that.

But beyond all of that, my mind is blown by the rear view camera.... I don't have the words!

:D
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby rmcclelland » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Fun demo thanks. Yeah, the roll is a bit twitchy, but flyin ain't easy! Thanks for posting.
rmcclelland

Postby itinerati » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm

At first I thought the controls were too touchy...then I spawned an enemy :P Still think it's a little bit too sensitive as a default, but it made more sense. I was pretty impressed, even spinning around a bunch I found it less disorienting than any 'walking' game, or even the copter one. Looking forward to seeing more of this, and all space sims.
itinerati

Postby zwickarr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Spawned an enemy?? i think you might be confusing this with "First Law" :)

thanks for trying it out guys. I'm flushing out the interior of the ship now, its large, think Prometheus. want to add more HUD's and video screens then make it so you can put it in Auto pilot and walk around the ship as it flies to the LZ.

found a bug where if you go to space and restart the level the sky stays "space"...feels like the moon or something.
zwickarr

Postby spyro » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:06 am

Interesting, and impressive scale but the controls are nothing else but horrible at the moment. No offense. ;)
Last edited by spyro on Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spyro

Postby audiolook » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:46 am

I think you're on to something really amazing here,
Fantastic work!
audiolook

Postby MrNexy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 pm

That video was very cool ! How did you go about creating the planet ? Procedural + OC ? Interplanetary exploration would make for some awesome experiences !
#48806 :
It arrived , it is amazing and has so much potential ! Bring it on !!

My Game :)
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=785&start=20
MrNexy

Postby zwickarr » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 pm

made a height map, splat map (uses color channels that say what textures go where), color map, and normal map in a program called "World Machine" brought those into Unity, purchased a slick shader/tool for terrain on the Unity asset store called "ats color map ULTRA shader" that allows you to do more advanced terrain shading and better painting controls.

-z
zwickarr

Postby Jose » Wed May 01, 2013 4:03 am

Wow! That was trippy as hell.

I pointed the spacecraft upward and just kept going. Then everything went dark. Looked behind me and saw the planet. Jumped out of the spacecraft, fell through the planet, kept falling until I reached the stars. Kept falling through the stars until I was surrounded by blue with all the darkspace behind me crumbling into triangular pieces.
Jose

Postby drash » Wed May 01, 2013 12:15 pm

zwickarr wrote:made a height map, splat map (uses color channels that say what textures go where), color map, and normal map in a program called "World Machine" brought those into Unity, purchased a slick shader/tool for terrain on the Unity asset store called "ats color map ULTRA shader" that allows you to do more advanced terrain shading and better painting controls.

-z

Good to know, thank you! :)
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.

drash

Postby digitalunlimited » Wed May 01, 2013 8:31 pm

I think I've found my favorite demo thus far! Awesome work, and despite all the weird movement I got no motion sickness.

edit:
So I've been playing around with this demo quite a bit and this is definitely something everyone who tries it out needs to experience:
1) Fly your ship off planet until you've got the entire planet in your rear view
2) Start playing this song: http://youtu.be/VxLacN2Dp6A in the background
3) Come to a full stop and point your ship so that you can see the planet out the side window
4) Slowly spin in your chair with your head in a fixed position and take in the view

I've spent a good half hour just taking in the views. My head is absolutely flooded with game narrative possibilities. So cool! :D
digitalunlimited

Postby MrNexy » Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 pm

I see what you did there you clever bugger :) I also use world machine (bloody brilliant and flexible too! :) ) . This gave me an idea for a surface to space to other planet surface system . I really must look into coding my own procedural terrain generation some time :p
#48806 :
It arrived , it is amazing and has so much potential ! Bring it on !!

My Game :)
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=785&start=20
MrNexy

Postby zwickarr » Thu May 02, 2013 7:56 pm

digitalunlimited wrote:I think I've found my favorite demo thus far! Awesome work, and despite all the weird movement I got no motion sickness.

edit:
So I've been playing around with this demo quite a bit and this is definitely something everyone who tries it out needs to experience:
1) Fly your ship off planet until you've got the entire planet in your rear view
2) Start playing this song: http://youtu.be/VxLacN2Dp6A in the background
3) Come to a full stop and point your ship so that you can see the planet out the side window
4) Slowly spin in your chair with your head in a fixed position and take in the view

I've spent a good half hour just taking in the views. My head is absolutely flooded with game narrative possibilities. So cool! :D

haha Nice digitalunlimited. the 1st thing i'm building out in space is a space station that you can dock with. I immediately thought of 2001 and that "ballet" of the ship rotating in sync with the station, I really want to do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q3oHmVhviO8#t=88s
zwickarr

Postby mihalski » Sat May 04, 2013 2:32 am

I have so many ideas for space related games that my head hurts.

Given that I don't currently have the ability to execute on these ideas, I see a LOT of learning in my near future. Although Unity seems to be the tool of choice, there is just NO WAY that I will be able to afford anywhere near $1500 in the short term :/

I hope to god they reconsider the need for the pro edition to load dll's.

Still waiting for my Rift. This will be the first experience after the Tuscany demo that I try :)
mihalski

Postby drash » Thu May 30, 2013 11:36 am

Tried this yesterday. Just wow. I think you hit on a fantastic formula here with this environment and space/hovercraft controls. I actually freaked out a bit at the meteors when they came right at me, and heading toward the ground or a mountainside at speed had my brain worried about a real collision. I can't thank you enough for this one!

:D

drash

Next

Return to Works in Progress