Oculus Developer Forums

VSync & Monitor Setup Issues

Report any bugs or technical issues that you encounter related to the the SDK or the Developer Center. The Oculus team collects information from this forum.

VSync & Monitor Setup Issues

Postby sh0v0r » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:52 am

Despite how much I love the Rift one thing that really is problematic is working out a good Monitor Setup.

I am currently working with a 30" 2560x1600 display for the editor, for various reasons I found dragging the Game window onto the rift to be difficult, for starters it is difficult to actually locate the maximise buttons. And when I want to inspect things without wearing the Rift I have to drag it back onto the Main display.

So the way I have been doing most of my work is by leaving the game view on the main display and when I want to actually test it properly, I do a build and then have a shortcut to the Executable with '-adapter 1' command to force it display on the Rift.

The next issue is that I cannot get the game to VSync on the Rift unless I Duplicate the display and I don't want to do this as I have to compromise my main 'work' displays native resolution to 1920x1200.

I don't have the Rift set as the main display as I found this inconvenient. All my desktop icons ended up on the Rift as did my Taskbar, this was a bit of a pain to get them back on my Main display and after doing that I still found the Rift would not VSync. As I use my machine for both non Rift gaming and work I don't want to go through this process often.

Without VSync my game runs at 100+ FPS which is great but I need to lock it down to prevent screen tearing and small hiccups that occur with the interpolation of the the rigid body my camera is attached to. This issue becomes more apparent as the rigid body increases in speed and the non fixed frame rate causes the interpolation to be non constant, resulting in short stalls in motion. I have integrated the OVRMainMenu to display the the Framerate as per the Tuscany GUI.

I have tried a few things:
- Setting an Application Profile in Catalyst(ATI) for the games EXE to force Vsync
- Use Rivatuner's D3DOverrider to force Vsync
- Setting the Application.targetFrameRate value to 60

I suspect this is a driver related issue and also not having the Rift as the Main display as it mentions in the .pdf Manual, I am also running a Crossfire ATI 6970 setup.

None of these worked, so it looks like the only way I can do a final 60 FPS locked test is to set it up to Duplicate. Ideally it will be great when Unity adds the ability to target a display with the game view properly.

Anyone have any suggestions?
sh0v0r

Re: VSync & Monitor Setup Issues

Postby cybereality » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 pm

We are aware of vsync issues, and there is not an easy solution. This is not a problem unique to the Rift, but really in any multi-monitor setup. Personally, I've seemed to have luck with the Rift as an extended display and using the "-adapter 1" trick but maybe there is different behavior on AMD (I'm using Nvidia).
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby wesleyb82 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 am

I ran 1920x1200 cloned and 1280x800 cloned on one desktop and everything was fine, no vsync issues. Now I have moved the gpu to a newer desktop and suddenly I am getting a scrolling horizontal line with the same display settings. Without head movement you can't see the line. As soon as you start moving your head there is (1) horizontal line/tear that slowly scrolls downwards. It takes 6 seconds to make it to the bottom then appears at the top again after 6 seconds. I am trying to compare settings between the two systems to determine why this is happening. When I use extended desktop and -adapter 1 I do not experience this problem.

EDIT: More info. This tearing is not visible on the cloned monitor. I attempted to override the GPU settings to force vsync which did not help.
wesleyb82

Postby cybereality » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 am

The issue is that Windows will only Vsync with one of the displays in clone mode, not both. I am unsure of what criteria it uses to choose which display to sync on. It may help to change which one is primary or secondary, or switching the ports on the video card.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby drash » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 pm

sh0v0r wrote:I am currently working with a 30" 2560x1600 display for the editor, for various reasons I found dragging the Game window onto the rift to be difficult, for starters it is difficult to actually locate the maximise buttons. And when I want to inspect things without wearing the Rift I have to drag it back onto the Main display.

I don't know what would be optimal re: managing your different displays as I just use a splitter, but as far as addressing the issue of being unable to locate maximize button:

Alt+Space to bring up control box menu, X to maximize.
Alt+Space to bring up control box menu, R to restore.
Alt+Space to bring up control box menu, M to enter move mode where you can hold down arrow keys to move the window as needed.

And I'm sure you know about Alt+Enter to toggle between windowed and fullscreen, but I'm not sure how that would work in a multiple-desktop situation.

Hope that helps!
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby wesleyb82 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 am

(While running 1920x1200 cloned) I tried to switch the display ports on the GPU, and although the display #'s swap within the nvidia control panel it appears the LCD is still getting vsynced, not the rift. I also tried to set the rift as the primary and turned off the LCD, then switched to cloned (hoping that windows will treat the rift as the primary and vsync it) with the same results.

For what ever reason, when I run apps at 1920x1080 cloned I do not get vsync issues on either display which is what I'm going to stick with for now.
wesleyb82

Postby MrGeddings » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:34 pm

what do you do if it seems neither the lcd nor the rift is getting vsync when it should be?
MrGeddings

Postby hal » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Is Aero turned on? If you are running windowed games in windows with Aero off it will disable vsync. Turn aero back on and vsync is fixed.
hal

Postby leedavey » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:36 pm

I started to notice a tear in my video on the Oculus and it does sound like the windows issue about only one display vsync'ing (as described above). Switching my Oculus to be the primary display in my Nvidia control panel did the trick (but now my main display tears :D )
leedavey

Return to Reporting Issues