Oculus Developer Forums

F1 2012 working on rift with 6 DOF w/ Razor Hydra

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

F1 2012 working on rift with 6 DOF w/ Razor Hydra

Postby ammonthenephite » Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 am

For those itching for a racing game and the rift, mbuehler and myself have gotten tridef, opentrackir and oculus overlay to work very well together to get f1 2012 working beautifully! Someone may have all ready done this, so I someone beat us to it but I just didn't see it my apologies!

Video! For this, best if desktop mirrored, set to full screen at 1080p, put on your rift and enjoy of lap of Monaco, courtesy of mbuehler!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkarGwxKpk&hd=1

This looks long and involved, but really its not. And well worth it! I've been waiting for this with the rift for a long time, and its finllay here. Even if in a pieced together fashion:)

As a dislaimer, for good 3d you will need to be familiar with both oculus overlay and tridef as well as their respective 3d adjustments. We'll inlude what we used, but 3d settings are like prescription glasses, what works for us probably won't be perfectly ideal for you. AND, today is the first time I've ever done anything with tridef, so chances are you have a lot more experience tweaking it than we do:) I'll add our current 3d settings at the end for those who would like to try them just in case!
It also helps if you know how to launch games from within tridef via tridef ignition.

Files you will need:
Tridef (14 day free trial version or the paid full version)
http://www.tridef.com/download
Oculus Overlay
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/download/file.php?id=142
XNA 4.0 redist (needed to run Oculus Overlay)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914
Opentrackir (version of freetracknoir that enables use of hydra for positional headtracking)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15205095/opentrack_hydra.zip
Egocameditor (Used to back out FOV to 90 degrees (default is 54), you'll need to create an account to download)
http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=2011

1) Plug in and fire up your rift. You will want the rift acting as an Extended Desktop set to 1280x800, not as a mirrored display (windows key + P).

1) Install tridef (everything that comes with it cause you'll need tridef ignition). Once installed, in the tridef3d/utilities/control center there will be options to select left/right sbs. DON"T DO THIS YET! If we picked the 3d mode before starting the game, the 3d would not work with the game in windowed mode, and it must be in windowed mode for Oculus overlay to work. So, make sure the defualt setting in the control center 3d model type is set to 'Anaglygh: Red/Cyan' for now.

2) Install xna 4.0 and then Oculus Overlay. Once installed, fire up oculus overlay and slide it over to the extended rift desktop. Hit Z to maximize it on the rift (remember that for overlay to receive keyboard commands it must have focus/be in the foreround, I select it on the task bar prior to commands).
Our experience with overlay = best results were had by disabling Aero desktops in windows (go into personalize and select a non aero theme). We also, with overlay running, right clicked on overlay in the task manager and set its affinity to 2 or 3 specific cores, and f1 2012 to the remaining cores (If you have a multicore cpu).

3)Fire up Opentrack and get headtracking going with your rift (and razor hydra if you have one). If using a hydra for positional tracking, its very important that the controller be CENTERED on TOP of your head, otherwise you will get bleedover into the other axis, and this will make you queezy:) We tried taping it to the front or back, but there was just enough bleed that it didn't work out that well. At the end of everything, you will need to fine tune the axis sensitivity for looking around to mirror what you see in real life. This also greatly reduces and queezy inducing movement.

3.5) (Optional, but greatly enhances the experience and reduces chances of naseau due to lots of excessive looking)- Launch Egocameditor, point it to the folder where the f1 executable is (for me it was prgramsx86.steam/steamapps/common/f12012, or something similar). Once pointed, click "get car list". Select a car (they are abbreviated, so I did them all just to make sure I would get one that was adjusted, but you can just do some so you leave some untouched for non-rift play). At the bottom click "load". In FOV, change the 54 to 90. Click "save" at the bottom and then close.

4)From Tridef Ignition, launch f1 2012. At first you will not see any hint of 3d as it fires up. You will need to set f1 2012 to windowed mode, so if it launches in full screen just alt+enter out. Once you get to the main screen (where it says "hit start", after all the intro clips, you should now see red/green 3d! Set the display ratio to 5:4 (this minimizes distortion when rendered in sbs). Load up a time trial and get to where your car is in the garage waiting to go to track.

5)With f1 still having focus, hit "0" on the number pad. This will bring up the tridef 3d menu. Using 8,2,6 and 4 on the number pad to navigate and 5 to select, go down to "Output". Output is at "normal" (red/cyan). Tap to the right until it says "Left/Right", then tap "0" a couple times to back out of the 3d menu.

6)Now, in the task bar select Oculus Overlay again. Now (as per Oculus overlay instructions) hover over (but don't click, else overlay will lose priority) the top left corner of the f1 window and press "Y" on the keyboard. Then hover over the bottom right of the window and click "H". This sets the area to be displayed on Oculus overlay on the extended rift display. While looking through the rift but still leaving overlay with priority, use "J" or "U" to zoom in or out to fine tune how much of the rift screen is filled with image. You can also use "K" and "I" to adjust puilary distance. Click back on the f1 game and then:

Put on your rift, go to track and drive! You may want to play with the brightness and contrast of the rift to finetune the image. For me it was a bit washed out until I toned down the brightness and contrast.

DISCLAIMER - Opentrack tends to have a lot of drift at times, so make sure to use the "recenter" hot key in opentrack from time to time.

Our 3D settings: Press "0" while in the game to bring up the tridef 3d menu. Select "3D", then set "Custom Focus" to "on". Set "Scene Depth" to 100, and "Percent In Front" to 25. Then set "Near Plane" to 60 and "Far Plane" to 100. That's what we are using. I have a pupillary distance of exactly 60 (30 on each eye). If something else works better for you, post it with your PD!

Also, huge thanx to mbuehler who was an equal part in figuring all this out!
Last edited by ammonthenephite on Wed May 29, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ammonthenephite

Re: F1 2012 working on rift with 6 DOF w/ Razor Hydra

Postby gray » Tue May 28, 2013 5:40 am

Nice work. Can't wait to try this!
gray

Postby crespo80 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 am

Great! I was looking for a racing game to test the rift with, the only one being Dirt2/3, I'll try it as soon as my rift arrives!
crespo80

Postby mbuehler » Tue May 28, 2013 8:52 am

Having a lot of fun with this one, it works well :) Spinning out is a whole lot more unpleasant now then it used to be lol. Monaco a great track as there is so much to see. Will try Singapore next chance I get.
mbuehler

Postby Burner » Tue May 28, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks for this guide, I can't wait to try it!

A tip from the WarThunder thread that also uses Oculus Overlay. OO seems to want to use the same core as your game so set processor affinity in the task manager to a free core(s) for increased FPS.
Burner

Postby mm0zct » Tue May 28, 2013 9:44 am

Nice work. Did you test f1 2012 with my original virieo instructions that came with the opentrack download and dirt2/3 guide? Dirt uses the same Ego engine so i'd like to know why it isn't working and if it is why you went with this convoluted option instead.

This writeup is useful for other games to use tridef, and you might want to put my opentrack build into mouse emulation to try fps games with your tridef setup.

I'm still working on drift and some other issues in opentrack so expect the experience to get better over time.

Original dirt thread at mtbs3d http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=17594
And reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1emz39/stereo_3d_and_positionalrotational_6dof_tracking/
mm0zct

Postby JOHIsaac » Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 am

I looked the video with the Rift on but I have to admit I wouldn't be able to play it because I would never know where to drive to. While the cockpit looks very good, the street in a distance is so pixelated that it's hard to guess where the road is. Or is this just in the video the case?
JOHIsaac

Postby mm0zct » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

The video compression does make it worse, speaking from Dirt3 experience, but it is much much harder to see in the distance with the Rift, so much that I only really enjoy driving tracks that I know well, and get frustrated with tracks I don't because I can't tell what the track is doing far enough in advance. This will be improved a lot with the resolution increase of the consumer Rift of course.
mm0zct

Postby LordJuanlo » Tue May 28, 2013 11:13 am

The cockpit looks perfect, but distant objects are double, so the video i's a bit uncomfortable to look at
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
LordJuanlo

Postby mbuehler » Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am

@ mm0zct

Vireio wouldn't work (the build we were using). You almost got into a game then it would crash (if I recall). IZ3D was even worse :) I soooo wish this and War Thunder worked with Vireio, as the Overlay is where most of the complexity of the setup comes from. "Ammo" can go over the details, I'd allready given up completely before he got it :)

@ LordJuanlo

Sorry, my IPD is very wide (I recorded this bit) so you are trying to merge a + 70 IPD with your eyes, which causes that. You can adjust it to your personal spacing in Tridef.
mbuehler

Postby blobkat » Tue May 28, 2013 12:14 pm

How should opentrackir work? It looks great in 3D mode, but I can't get the headtracking working in game.

Edit: copy it in the game directory and run as administrator, got it! Works great!
blobkat

Postby Atreyu » Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Thanks for the video!

But I believe you set the FOV incorrectly. It looks like F1 2012 calculates FOV using horizontal FOV only, like rfactor. So instead of changing it from 54 to 90 it should probably be set to 51. (90/16x9)The FOV seen in your video looks like a 160 degree horizontal FOV ((90/9)x16).

But this will cause nausea?
Atreyu

Postby ammonthenephite » Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 pm

i'd like to know why it isn't working and if it is why you went with this convoluted option instead.

Its not really convoluted. If I knew everyone else knew how to use tridef, overlay and opentrack I could have simply said "fire up overlay, opentrack, then launch the game throught tridef". But there are many, such as myself, who are for the first time delving into 3d, the rift, and the associated programs. So I wanted it to be as novice friendly as possible.

Vereio does not currently work with DX11 games, only DX9. Even forcing the f1 game to DX10 didn't yeild any results. They are working on implementing DX11 support though, as are Vorpx, Nthusim and probably several other driver developers. Where verieo had zero effect on the game, IZ3d would start to work, and then crash every time you were about to go to track. It was so close!

Soon, though, we will have dx11 rift specific support in verieo, vorpx, nthusim and probably many more, so this process will only get easier as time goes on.
Last edited by ammonthenephite on Tue May 28, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ammonthenephite

Postby museumsteve » Tue May 28, 2013 5:21 pm

This worked first time for me and I struggled with DiRT 3 and the virieo option.
It's a shame, the low res of the rift really does stop this from being properly playable IMO.
I'd have higher hopes for older games perhaps..like Race 07 etc. If the games were designed for lower res I assume they'd look better in the lower res of the Rift?
I tried Race 07 but couldn't get the game to go into windowed mode so couldn't use overlay..

Awesome work on this chaps and thanks for the continued efforts 8-)
museumsteve

Postby YuntiMcGunti » Wed May 29, 2013 4:37 am

I'm probably being a bit dim here, but what functionality is the hydra being used for?

Is it in place of the built in head-tracking of the Rift, or is it being used as a controller?
YuntiMcGunti

Postby flyingwaffle » Wed May 29, 2013 6:07 am

@ammonthenephite
when I watch your youtube video (in 1080 x 800, fullscreen) with the Rift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkarGwxKpk&hd=1
it seems the stereo effect is just way too strong for any objects in the distance, my eyes/brain are only able to "merge" objects that are very near (like the cockpit).
Not sure if that's because of ipd setting or because that video isn't meant to be viewed as such with a Rift...
flyingwaffle

Postby Burner » Wed May 29, 2013 10:49 am

YuntiMcGunti wrote:I'm probably being a bit dim here, but what functionality is the hydra being used for?

Is it in place of the built in head-tracking of the Rift, or is it being used as a controller?

The Rift sensor only gives 3 degrees of freedom, the head rotation axes.

The Hydra is mounted on your head and provides the 3 other degrees of freedom, the translation axes. Hence the 6dof thread title.
Burner

Postby mm0zct » Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 am

ammonthenephite: thanks for the explanation, I'll have to pickup F1 2012 next time it's on sale and see what's up with virieo, if you have the time would you mind checking it with game modes 0, 301 and 601 with it in forced dx9 mode? they might not all crash.

I'm looking forward to using this writeup to get other games working too, so thanks again :)
mm0zct

Postby Tankshell » Wed May 29, 2013 12:26 pm

mm0zct wrote:ammonthenephite: thanks for the explanation, I'll have to pickup F1 2012 next time it's on sale and see what's up with virieo, if you have the time would you mind checking it with game modes 0, 301 and 601 with it in forced dx9 mode? they might not all crash.

I'm looking forward to using this writeup to get other games working too, so thanks again :)

F1 2012 is currently for sale today on Green Man Gaming. They give you a Steam key. 75% off today!
Tankshell

Postby dff180 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:54 pm

YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkarGwxKpk&hd=1) seems to have left/right eye swapped. Left eye should see more of the left side than the right eye.
You can verify this by pausing the video and looking how far the left mirror is from the left edge.
dff180

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos