Oculus Developer Forums

Alone in the Rift - A horror game demo (Final version 1.00)

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

Alone in the Rift - A horror game demo (Final version 1.00)

Postby mrmaffen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:50 am

This is a horror game demo made by me with Unity to showcase the wonderful combination of the immersive Oculus Rift VR Headset, the Razer Hydra as a fitting input device and a spooky forest scene. You walk around a dark forest with a flashlight in your hands, which can be controlled through the Razer Hydra controller. Your goal is a shed at the end of your walk.

Playing this with headphones on is highly recommended!

Basic Setup:
Before starting the game demo, place the Razer Hydra base in front of you (with the cables facing away from you). Also make sure that the Rift is facing the same direction as you sit in. Now start up the game. Follow the advice on the screen, when it tells you to press the trigger. Make sure you are pressing the controllers' trigger in the correct order. If your hands don't move, press the start button on each of the controllers to enable hand movement. Now you're good to go.

Controls in general:
"F" on your keyboard or "Y"-button on your gamepad or "1"-button on your right hydra controller to toggle your flashlight.
"B" on your keyboard or "D-Pad down"-button on your gamepad or "4"-button on your right hydra controller to recenter your view.
F10 to toggle the OVR Overlay menu (fps, ipd etc).
Escape and then Enter to exit the game.

Control Scheme "Sitting":
The good ol' standard. Use your mouse/gamepad joystick/hydra joystick to turn around.

Control Scheme "Standing":
Don't trip over tree roots. You'll walk in the direction you're looking in.

Control Scheme "Alternative Hydra":
Happy to try out new things? Then choose this mode! Stick your left hydra controller into your shirt and pick up your right hydra controller. You'll walk in the direction your body is facing, while still being able to freely look around.
(Be sure to press the "Start"-button after you've attached the left controller to your chest.)

Download for Windows:
http://goo.gl/lWma8N (Mega)

Download for Mac OSX (only with beta Hydra support):
http://goo.gl/bG9qTO (Mega)

Download for Linux (x86_64)(no Hydra support released by Sixense yet):
http://goo.gl/3Cp5AZ (Mega)

(goo.gl's Link shortener service is being used to track basic public download stats.)

Changelog:
1.00:
- Reworked controls
- Updated to Oculus SDK 0.2.5
- Added recenter functionality
- Added Linux support
- Added proper GUI texts
- Fixed issues with lightmapping
- Removed faulty occlusion culling
- Fixed minor bugs in the game event scripts
- Some minor asset/texture polishing
0.40:
- Improved water shader/texture
- Now uses Occlusion Culling for performance boost
- Added Bumpmapping to all textures
- Minor graphical fixes/improvements
- Added a Mac OSX version (not yet tested)
0.30:
- New control schemes available ("Sitting", "Standing", "Alternative Hydra")
- Updated to Oculus SDK 0.2.3
- Redesigned the water
- Fixed some colliders
- Fixed the spawning script
0.21:
- Removed some debugging stuff
0.2:
- Added a proper skybox to the scene.
- Added support to direct the flashlight with the mouse or right gamepad joystick.
- Flashlight can now be turned on/off by pressing "F" or by pressing the "A"-Button on the gamepad or by pressing the "1"-Button on the right hydra controller
- Some minor fixes/cleanups
0.11:
- Performance fixes. Greatly improved fps.
0.1:
- Initial Release

I hope you like my little demo :)
Any kind of feedback is appreciated.

Be sure to follow me on Twitter: Image
I'm frequently posting updates and news on the upcoming "Episode 2" of "Lost in the Rift". Stay tuned :)

If you want to tip me so I can buy more awesome texture/asset packs and stuff ..

My bitcoin wallet ID: 16vaN8ahvUMnnZ9Y4A8Y4c56QKdFSFNr61

Last edited by mrmaffen on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 am, edited 13 times in total.
mrmaffen

Re: Alone in the Rift - A horror game demo (with hydra suppo

Postby MikeArms24 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 pm

That was scary as hell even without the Rift. Can't wait to try it with the Rift!
Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema!
http://www.riftmax.com - (Latest Version 0.299 4/18/2014)
MikeArms24

Postby JOHIsaac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi,

thanks for it. It is kind of cool. Great Sound!
The little girl reminded me of the ring :-) and that was very good.
Environment, very good!

But - maybe i did something wrong.
Control: I would prefer to have the viewing with the rift, the flashlight with the mouse and walking with keyboard.
I was nearly unable to find the way to the house because I can't control the flashlight, it's always pointing straight forward.

Maybe that different with a hydra?

You have something here, it is really cool with the rift. Thanks for sharing it! Looking forward for an update.
JOHIsaac

Postby space123321 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:20 pm

HA HA - Love it!!!! Great work - I just wish I could figure out how to import the hands on a controller prefab so that I get start messing around like this!!!!
space123321

Postby MikeArms24 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:31 pm

space123321 wrote:HA HA - Love it!!!! Great work - I just wish I could figure out how to import the hands on a controller prefab so that I get start messing around like this!!!!

Why not use the Sixense SDK for Unity?
Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema!
http://www.riftmax.com - (Latest Version 0.299 4/18/2014)
MikeArms24

Postby mrmaffen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 pm

JOHIsaac wrote:Hi,

thanks for it. It is kind of cool. Great Sound!
The little girl reminded me of the ring :-) and that was very good.
Environment, very good!

But - maybe i did something wrong.
Control: I would prefer to have the viewing with the rift, the flashlight with the mouse and walking with keyboard.
I was nearly unable to find the way to the house because I can't control the flashlight, it's always pointing straight forward.

Maybe that different with a hydra?

You have something here, it is really cool with the rift. Thanks for sharing it! Looking forward for an update.

Hey. Glad you enjoyed it :)
Yea the game was primarily designed to work with the Razer Hydra. I couldn't find the time yet to improve the flashlight mechanics with the mouse. I'll probably be implementing a kind of keyhole mechanic. Like the one in tf2.

space123321 wrote:HA HA - Love it!!!! Great work - I just wish I could figure out how to import the hands on a controller prefab so that I get start messing around like this!!!!

You just need to download and import the Sixense SDK. It's available in the unity asset store. It also includes a demo scene with the two hand models and a HandController script.
mrmaffen

Postby cybereality » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm

OMG!!! This is too scary. And I was playing it during the day, in bright lights, and surrounding by people. At one point I screamed and had to rip the Rift off my face. Good thing I did not play this by myself at night.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby mrmaffen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:07 pm

cybereality wrote:OMG!!! This is too scary. And I was playing it during the day, in bright lights, and surrounding by people. At one point I screamed and had to rip the Rift off my face. Good thing I did not play this by myself at night.

haha ! :D This is exactly what I aimed for. I'm glad you hated it. I guess :D
mrmaffen

Postby cybereality » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Well I did enjoy it. I just can't keep playing.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby mahler » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:35 pm

cybereality wrote:Good thing I did not play this by myself at night.
Yeah I did that. After arriving at the shed and that girl suddenly disappeared I let out a big fat: "NOPE"
I tore the Rift of my face and decided I had more than enough --- not going back in there! :shock:
mahler

Postby ianmacmillan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Great demo! Thanks for posting this.

Suggestion: would it be possible to make the flashlight follow the right Hydra instead of just pointing straight forward all the time? Or maybe it's supposed to do this already and it's not working for me?
ianmacmillan

Postby mrmaffen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:53 pm

ianmacmillan wrote:Great demo! Thanks for posting this.

Suggestion: would it be possible to make the flashlight follow the right Hydra instead of just pointing straight forward all the time? Or maybe it's supposed to do this already and it's not working for me?

Thanks man!
The flashlight follows the right Hydra controller when you push the start button on the controller.
mrmaffen

Postby Nij » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:49 pm

oh jesus!!

That was amazing dude, I literally nearly jumped off my chair haha!!

great work!!
Nij

Postby rfurlan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Made me jump, and nothing makes me jump :lol:
--
Rod Furlan
bitcortex.com

"The first ultra-intelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."
rfurlan

Postby lookforyourhands » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:24 pm

OMG. Outstanding demo.

I literally had to take the Rift off because it was too intense.

I freaked out and yelled twice! My heart nearly came out of my chest.

That's never happened to me playing a game before.

I have a feeling some games are seriously going to be too scary for people to play !!! This is incredible ! :D :D
lookforyourhands

Postby space123321 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:29 pm

The demo has scared the #$%^ out of everyone that I have shown tonight lol - great job!!!

mrmaffen wrote:You just need to download and import the Sixense SDK. It's available in the unity asset store. It also includes a demo scene with the two hand models and a HandController script.

Sorry - I did not want to highjack your thread. I started this thread a few days ago requesting for help:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1322

I basically took the demo scene and added the Rift FPScontroller prefab to it and attached the hands to the prefab. While I have the hand working on the prefab, I do not have WASD control with the hydra. I think I am doing things backwards attaching the hands to the prefab. Any directions or help you can provide (on my thread therefore not highjacking your thread) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
space123321

Postby 320x200 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 pm

hahahaha that was great! Played while alone at night for extra creepiness lol... Talk about goosebump city...
320x200

Postby drash » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Wowwww.... that made me scream like a little girl three times in a row LMAO

Great stuff. Your use of music was spot on.

:D :D :D
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby Alerick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Wow man this really shows off how great these types of games can be in the Rift. Great job and thank you for sharing. This is exactly what I'm most excited about. I love how the Rift adds so much to immersion and in horror games this really makes a HUGE difference.

The use of music to build suspense was done very well. Quick note, I did play this while I was totally alone and at night while using headphones. I was able to get my Hydra controls working correctly and I was doing pretty well inside the game until :spoilers: I made it to the house and the loud jump scare got me. I had to take the rift off for a few seconds then I went back in. I explored the house some more until the girl spawned AGAIN and at that point I had enough. Its amazing how much the Rift adds to this. I can play it on a monitor and never even jump but put a Rift on and its totally different.

Overall great demo for showcasing how much the Rift can add to a horror game, thanks again for posting.
Last edited by Alerick on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alerick

Postby 320x200 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Spoiler comment:
Can you imagine if the girl got right up in your face or chased you? Crazy... At one point I was running too fast to stop when she appeared and I ran into/through her, that was creepy enough. lol

Edit: Oh wait.. maybe I didn't play long enough or ran away from that shack faster than other people, seems she does get right up on you haha
Last edited by 320x200 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
320x200

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos