Oculus Developer Forums

[Demo] Black Island, horror game

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

[Demo] Black Island, horror game

Postby Kaorin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi guys,

We’ve been working on a game for the Oculus Rift for about half a year now, and decided that it’s time to give other people a look at it. The name of the game is “Black Island” and it’s basically a horror game, set on a tropical island. You have to solve riddles and evade enemies to be able to escape from the place.

http://wotokah.makegames.ch/ (about the game)

We want to give you an early demo of our game to play and maybe get some feedback. In the demo, you can explore a small part of the island, in which there’s a small part of our gameplay already implemented. This is not the final gameplay, and also pretty rough. But it’s a good first impression. The main focus of the demo is about playing with the Oculus, but you can also play it without the headset.

So, here’s the download link on Skydrive: http://sdrv.ms/179PvMV
As Skydrive seems quite slow, and they disabled the Dropbox link due to heavy traffic, here's a torrent of the demo: http://sebastiantobler.com/blackisland_alphademo.torrent
We're seeding it, but if some more people could seed, that'd be awesome! We didn't expect quite so many downloads. :)

At the moment it’s Windows only. Playable with Mouse&Keyboard or Xbox Controller. Oculus Rift optional.

Short help:
Explore, take your time. Don’t get caught by the evil beings.
If you don’t play on Oculus, turn it off in the Menu.
You can adjust brightness in the menu to fit your screen.
Have fun!

A little info about us: We’re a 3 people team (2/3 female) from Switzerland, who’ve been working on the game in our free time for about half a year.

http://wotokah.makegames.ch/team-2/ (team info!)

We hope you have fun playing! :)
The wotokah Team

Dasher wrote:This was a great demo! I made a video of it:
http://youtu.be/yUlqI2XxIxY

If you don't have enough time (or no Oculus) to play the game, Dasher made a pretty cool Playthrough video! It's totally worth a look! :)

jasonatokc wrote:How do you activate the alter and pick red berries?

Press "Y" on the Xbox Controller, or left click when the object is in the center of the screen. You're right, it certainly needs more help with these things in the finished version! :)

Last edited by Kaorin on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kaorin

Re: [Demo] Black Island, horror game

Postby lookforyourhands » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Downloading now ! Thanks for working on this for so long, will post some impressions.
lookforyourhands

Postby przecinek » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:15 pm

OK I'm already a bit scared :? :D Downloading now.
przecinek

Postby cybereality » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Looks cool, but didn't seem like there was too much to do yet.

But I was totally getting a LOST vibe, I could see this being very nice when finished.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby drash » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Your SkyDrive link seems to ask me to log in? Is there another way?
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby LuckyLu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Nice start, couldn't find much to do other that shitting my pants a bit when those things popped out.

As for Oculus implementation things i noticed:
- Good work on the log, easy to read, tho i can see it hiding in my back if i turn :P
- Scale seems a bit off, most likely the camera separation is off, the lighter looks line 15x15cm big, the size of a book. Also the leaves grow huge when getting close. Not sure if its as intended or just looks off to me.
- Activate magnetometer calibration, You can just set it to auto an it eventually acquires the reference points when looking around. The manual calibration is a bit buggy (like it usually hangs on "look on right" for me)
- Needs some more atmosphere effects, looks a bit dry and fake in the Rift.

Good luck ahead!
LuckyLu

Postby ohmkay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm

I will try this later but you have 100% of my support trying to bring a horror experience to the rift! :D
ohmkay

Postby jasonatokc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:26 pm

This was really cool. If you could post what works and does not work that would be really cool. How do you activate the alter and pick red berries? I have not seen anything pop out at me but did hear creepy noises that made me look behind me. This has been the scariest demo on the rift yet!! Keep up the good work.
jasonatokc

Postby Kaorin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:32 am

cybereality wrote:Looks cool, but didn't seem like there was too much to do yet.

I'm afraid so. We've been mostly working on building the level. The finished version will have about 10 times the size of the level right now. There's gameplay in other parts of the level, which just isn't quite playable yet, so it isn't in the demo. We have only one man for gameplay, one woman for sound and one woman for all the graphics/level. The last one is me. ;)

LuckyLu wrote:As for Oculus implementation things i noticed:
- Good work on the log, easy to read, tho i can see it hiding in my back if i turn :P
- Scale seems a bit off, most likely the camera separation is off, the lighter looks line 15x15cm big, the size of a book. Also the leaves grow huge when getting close. Not sure if its as intended or just looks off to me.
- Activate magnetometer calibration, You can just set it to auto an it eventually acquires the reference points when looking around. The manual calibration is a bit buggy (like it usually hangs on "look on right" for me)
- Needs some more atmosphere effects, looks a bit dry and fake in the Rift.

Thanks for the feedback! Most of this stuff is still unfinished, so it just looks like this. ^^ For example: There's almost no atmospheric effects in the demo, except fog, right now. Will have a look into the magnetometer calibration, thanks for the tipp! :)
Kaorin

Postby JOHIsaac » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:13 pm

drash wrote:Your SkyDrive link seems to ask me to log in? Is there another way?

+ No way to download it without an account?
JOHIsaac

Postby Jefreestyles » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Good job on the work so far. Just by the look of the environment, I felt like I was in the jungle/beach. It's nice looking straight up and seeing how high the trees are. I think you got the lightning correct so far too. It's semi-dark but not too dark. The lighter kind of helps but I didn't use it much except for reading the journal and looking at objects such as the shack door/locks and rocks. So overall, it was a good demo. Here are some specific notes:

- I was playing with the Xbox controller and I'm from the US. Not sure if it's a non-US thing but usually games have "Run" tied to anything but the right trigger. I'm used to it being clicking down on the left thumbstick (e.g. Halo).
- The menu(s) should be controllable with the gamepad.
- The notebook could use some UX elements like page numbers or arrows/start/end icons.
- I could submerge the lighter all the way into the water and walk through the waterfall. Might want to either create some invisible walls to block the player from entering too far. OR have the lighter turn off when it touches water.
- As someone above previously said, some of the objects look bigger than normal. The barrels near the shacks look HUGE! Probably weigh 300 pounds each without anything in them. Also, the locks on the doors look big too when I get up close to them.
- I can't read some of the text on the right hand pages of the notebook due to the lighter being in the way when turned on.
- Optimize if possible. My PC isn't a beast but it's probably in the mid-tier range of gamer PC's. I saw some stuttering when I turned my head quickly. Maybe a texture loading issue. Or maybe you can adjust the draw distance of the player camera (occlusion).

Thanks for letting us play your work so far. Keep it up! :D
Jefreestyles

Postby SteelClawz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:48 pm

:shock:
Last edited by SteelClawz on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteelClawz

Postby jkflipflop » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:26 pm

That was pretty good. I actually felt a little shock of fear the first time Jack Skellington walked towards me out of the brush.
jkflipflop

Postby jareiko » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:54 am

It would be awesome if you could post a Mac build as well. Keep up the great work! :D
jareiko

Postby Kaorin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:06 am

JOHIsaac wrote:
drash wrote:Your SkyDrive link seems to ask me to log in? Is there another way?

+ No way to download it without an account?

I posted a link to download it from Dropbox. :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ufxha31f1b1yt8v/BI_AlphaDemo.zip
Kaorin

Postby Kaorin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:12 am

Jefreestyles wrote:Thanks for letting us play your work so far. Keep it up! :D

We're still not happy with the way the lighter an journal work. They feel strange in scale and behaviour. But we're changing everything pretty much daily to try out new stuff.

And, thank you for your feedback! You're right, the game is far from being optimized, and as a result some strange things might still happen. That's why we uploaded it for everyone to test. ^_^ Every feedback is awesome!
Kaorin

Postby Kaorin » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:13 am

jareiko wrote:It would be awesome if you could post a Mac build as well. Keep up the great work! :D

Working on it!
Kaorin

Postby Enthusiast » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:34 am

Dropboxlink: Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

SkydrivelinK: 25-30 KB/s :shock: 6,5h till full zip :cry:
Enthusiast

Postby stevecastaneda » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:00 am

Maybe package it in a torrent so we can just share between each other? Getting the error with the Dropbox link as well.
stevecastaneda

Postby Catatonic » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:45 am

Enthusiast wrote:Dropboxlink: Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

SkydrivelinK: 25-30 KB/s :shock: 6,5h till full zip :cry:

We're sorry for the situation - we didn't quite expect to get that many downloads :)

I've uploaded the demo to my portfolio webspace: http://sebastiantobler.com/BI_AlphaDemo.zip

If anyone would like to start a torrent, please post the link here - we'd be happy to help seeding.
Catatonic

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos