Oculus Developer Forums

Minecrift - Minecraft VR mod

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

Minecrift - Minecraft VR mod

Postby StellaArtois » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:03 am

I feel a little more comfortable posting Minecrift up now that we've hit Beta 1.1. A lot of bugs have been fixed, and it's in quite a stable state. However it's not perfect and both mabrowning and myself still have a lot of work to do! :)

Please find the latest version over on MTBS HERE

Feedback and suggestions for enhancements are most welcomed!
Last edited by StellaArtois on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StellaArtois

Re: Minecrift - Minecraft VR mod

Postby lans » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am

I had problem like in other rift-enabled games: when trying to start it in full-screen mode, it turns on on primary monitor, not on rift.
Demo has "fullscreen on rift" hotkey. Is it difficult to make the same feature here? (workaround: made rift a primary display)
Could you enable mouse controls? It is easier to control player with mouse if sitting in front of computer.
And, as for me, the menu looks to small and button captions are unreadable.
Notification "Calibrating razor hydra" never disappears.
Maybe, it will be better to display user items and health/hunger bars always in front of view?
Still, it detects rift and reacts on head movement perfect :)
lans

Postby drash » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:54 am

StellaArtois, thank you so much for Minecrift. It's been one of the things I looked forward to the most with the Rift, and so far it has delivered. :)

lans wrote:Could you enable mouse controls? It is easier to control player with mouse if sitting in front of computer.
Notification "Calibrating razor hydra" never disappears.

I haven't tried Hydra with it yet but mouse control seemed to be normal for me (even for interacting with menus and all that). Maybe since you have a "calibrating razer hydra" message that won't go away, you have your Hydra plugged in and it's assuming you're going to use it?
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby StellaArtois » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:03 pm

lans wrote:Demo has "fullscreen on rift" hotkey. Is it difficult to make the same feature here? (workaround: made rift a primary display)

Ah, interesting. Ok, I'll have a look into this hotkey in the demo. Sounds useful.

lans wrote:Could you enable mouse controls? It is easier to control player with mouse if sitting in front of computer.

Hmmm, as drash says, mouse control should be selectable. Is it not? VR Settings->Move / Aim, select Mouse. Also VR Settings->HUD Prefs, HUD scale and HUD distance.

lans wrote:Notification "Calibrating razor hydra" never disappears.

Known issue, we've fixed the default settings to not use a Hydra out-of-the-box. However for now make sure you're not set to use a Hydra for orientation, position or move/aim.

lans wrote:Maybe, it will be better to display user items and health/hunger bars always in front of view?
Still, it detects rift and reacts on head movement perfect :)

Sounds like you need a HUD lock. We used to have that. Maybe we need it again!
Last edited by StellaArtois on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StellaArtois

Postby StellaArtois » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 pm

drash wrote:StellaArtois, thank you so much for Minecrift. It's been one of the things I looked forward to the most with the Rift, and so far it has delivered. :)

Pleasure! Send thanks to mabrowning as well, he's really picked the project up and accelerated implementation of the good stuff.

And hey, great work on Titans! Love it! 8-)
StellaArtois

Postby StellaArtois » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Blaner wrote:Complete
Failded: Couldn't download Optifine. Error: Connection reset

Still a problem?
StellaArtois

Postby fkasper » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:26 am

StellaArtois wrote:

Known issue, we've fixed the default settings to not use a Hydra out-of-the-box. However for now make sure you're not set to use a Hydra for orientation, position or move/aim.

I'm having the same issue; I can't even get to the settings. Once i enable VR mode the message pops up and doesn't go away. I checked the optionsvr.txt and it doesn't have the hydra configured for any of the plugins:

optionsvr.txt wrote:headTrackerPluginID:oculus
headPositionPluginID:oculus
hmdPluginID:oculus
controllerPluginID:mouse

I tried unplugging various devices that may conflict with your detection logic (USB keyboard/mouse and xbox controller) but that didn't seem to help. I'm running Windows 8 and JRE 7.0.150 if that helps.

edit: nevermind I fixed it; the trick was to delete optionsvr.txt, start a game without VR mode turned on, then go into the settings and enable VR (this will still show the Hydra message but at least enable options); then set device calibration to 'skip' instead of 'on startup'. After restarting it seems to work without problems :)

edit2: first impressions after some sightseeing are pretty good! I like how the reset origin thing is used for HUD positioning. It's super convenient to be able to re-trigger that by toggling the HUD on and off with F1; chat and server messages were very legible for me.

The one thing I had a few issues with was the HUD's vertical placement, initially this was fine but the second time I launched it the vertical placement of the HUD somehow changed (originally the menu was positioned roughly at eye level, now it appeared a lot lower making it a bit cumbersome to use). I'm not sure if this had to do with the Rift's orientation when the game started or I messed something else up. It'd be nice if apart from the HUD's horizontal orientation the vertical placement/orientation of the HUD would also be saved so that you're always looking at it head-on and centered in view when you use reset origin.
fkasper

Postby mabrowning » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Blaner wrote:Sat Jul 20, 2013 17:00 pm: Yes

A new Optifine seams to be out.

I can still hit the link. They may have prevented hot-linking, though. I really should contact sp614x to see if we can work out a deal.
mabrowning

Postby StellaArtois » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 am

fkasper wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:

I'm having the same issue; I can't even get to the settings. Once i enable VR mode the message pops up and doesn't go away. I checked the optionsvr.txt and it doesn't have the hydra configured for any of the plugins:

optionsvr.txt wrote:headTrackerPluginID:oculus
headPositionPluginID:oculus
hmdPluginID:oculus
controllerPluginID:mouse

I tried unplugging various devices that may conflict with your detection logic (USB keyboard/mouse and xbox controller) but that didn't seem to help. I'm running Windows 8 and JRE 7.0.150 if that helps.

edit: nevermind I fixed it; the trick was to delete optionsvr.txt, start a game without VR mode turned on, then go into the settings and enable VR (this will still show the Hydra message but at least enable options); then set device calibration to 'skip' instead of 'on startup'. After restarting it seems to work without problems :)

edit2: first impressions after some sightseeing are pretty good! I like how the reset origin thing is used for HUD positioning. It's super convenient to be able to re-trigger that by toggling the HUD on and off with F1; chat and server messages were very legible for me.

The one thing I had a few issues with was the HUD's vertical placement, initially this was fine but the second time I launched it the vertical placement of the HUD somehow changed (originally the menu was positioned roughly at eye level, now it appeared a lot lower making it a bit cumbersome to use). I'm not sure if this had to do with the Rift's orientation when the game started or I messed something else up. It'd be nice if apart from the HUD's horizontal orientation the vertical placement/orientation of the HUD would also be saved so that you're always looking at it head-on and centered in view when you use reset origin.

Absolutely just the feedback we're looking for fkasper :-) Many thanks for your time testing this and writing it up!

I still have some work to do debugging this calibration issue evidently. We ideally don't want people disabling the calibration at startup - that can lead to other 'weirdness' later on.

The HUD placement should always be centred in front of the player eye origin point. However we still have some issues with the origin point seemingly moving (when using pos track). That said, if you're just using the neck model, all should be fine? Evidently not.
StellaArtois

Postby jcml » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:10 pm

I have a problem with the recent update(1.6.2). Minecraft works fine until I enable VR mode, then Minecraft crashes.
Windows 7 if it helps. Thanks
jcml

Postby StellaArtois » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:31 am

jcml wrote:I have a problem with the recent update(1.6.2). Minecraft works fine until I enable VR mode, then Minecraft crashes.
Windows 7 if it helps. Thanks

jcml, can you post up the log from the development console tab on the Minecraft launcher?
StellaArtois

Postby mabrowning » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:50 pm

Alright everyone, quick update:

The latest dev version (Build #92) has full controller support. Supports remapping buttons, controlling UI and inventory (more than just virtual cursor), customizable sensitivity.

If anyone has an 360 controller, could you configure it and send me your options_controller.txt? I'd like to set up some sensible defaults, and the Xbox 360 is probably the most widely used, but I don't have one.

Thanks!
Last edited by mabrowning on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mabrowning

Postby Valez » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey, nice work.

Having some problems with the analog sticks though.
1 out of 3 times I keep moving in the direction I pressed until I press again in another direction.

--------------------
The content of my options_controller.txt:

key.right:a:1:+:X Axis
key.back:a:0:+:Y Axis
key.drop:b:9:Button 9
axis.updown:a:2:+:Y Rotation
key.attack:a:4:+:Z Axis
key.inventory:b:6:Button 6
walk.forward:a:0:-:Y Axis
key.use:b:8:Button 8
key.itemright:b:5:Button 5
key.left:a:1:-:X Axis
key.itemleft:b:4:Button 4
axis.leftright:a:3:+:X Rotation
key.jump:b:0:Button 0
Valez

Postby mabrowning » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Valez wrote:Hey, nice work.

Having some problems with the analog sticks though.
1 out of 3 times I keep moving in the direction I pressed until I press again in another direction.

Is it moving very slowly? I added a user-specifiable deadzone as of #92. See if that solves your issue.

Continuing my trend... b94 has even further joystick polish. I've been alternating playing on MetaCraft, finding problems, and fixing them.

There are still some issues with ease-of-use on the inventory. It works... but its hard to use. I'll address these soon, but I suppose it isn't ready for general use.

My preferred controller setup is now:

Keyhole Width: 90° (very edge of my vision)
    Keyhole Height: 100° (very edge)
    Mode: "Keyhole (loose)"
    Joystick sensitivity: 8.0
    "Recenter" bound to the joystick "click".

The Mode: "Keyhole (loose)" works kind of like the hydra. If you aim at something, then let off the joystick, no matter where you turn your head, the crosshair will stay there. This allows you to mine while checking behind you. :D However, pushing the crosshair up to the keyhole (while its visible) will turn the view as normal.

"Recenter" bound to the joystick "click": with such loose control of the crosshair, it can get lost. If you suddenly come across an enemy, you don't have time to find it. I've added the ability to "hold the line!" aka keep the crosshair bound to the center of your view while holding a button. That way you can aim with your head when you need a quick response.

If anyone can come up with a better scheme, please let me know, I'd love to try it! With this, I think the controller is approaching the usefulness of the hydra free-aim; not quite there, though. I need to give the hydra controls the same level of attention I've been giving the controller, but that will probably have to wait until next weekend. I've been programming for close to 18 hours.....

In other news... I nearly had a heart attack a bit ago: my first crap-my-pants moment in the Rift. I was mining in a corner of a cave after just signing in to MetaCraft. I thought I was alone. I looked over my shoulder and saw this.
mabrowning

Postby Valez » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:32 am

mabrowning wrote:Is it moving very slowly? I added a user-specifiable deadzone as of #92. See if that solves your issue.

Works now, but the default value for the dead zone is to low for the X-Box controller. 0.18 works.
Valez

Postby jcml » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:00 am

Sorry for the extreeemely long delay but, you know lives :D . The crash occurs as soon as i enable VR mode. I've tried it with b98 and b79 with no avail. Crash report: http://pastebin.com/LnvK0XrG. Thanks,
jcml.
jcml

Postby Subcide » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:04 am

This is my single most favourite rift experience so far. Thanks so much :)

First night in survival mode was terrifying.
Subcide

Postby jcml » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:09 am

Subcide wrote:This is my single most favourite rift experience so far. Thanks so much :)

Don't taunt me :evil: .
jcml

Postby StellaArtois » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:19 am

jcml wrote:Sorry for the extreeemely long delay but, you know lives :D . The crash occurs as soon as i enable VR mode. I've tried it with b98 and b79 with no avail. Crash report: http://pastebin.com/LnvK0XrG. Thanks,
jcml.

Jcml, looks like your current Intel graphics card driver doesn't support the features required by Minecrift. Have you got the latest drivers for your card? Might be worth checking the Intel site...
StellaArtois

Postby StellaArtois » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 am

Subcide wrote:This is my single most favourite rift experience so far. Thanks so much :)

Pleasure! :-)
StellaArtois

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos