Oculus Developer Forums

Bungee Jumping 0.3 (UPDATED)

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

Bungee Jumping 0.3 (UPDATED)

Postby merttoka » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:13 am

Bungee is an experiment using Unity Engine in order to test the Virtual Reality experience using Oculus Rift. This is my first development for Oculus, so I know that there are a lot to improve. I had no chance to test the demo widely, but from the reactions of the few testers, it is recommended that you stand up while you are trying. When you are ready to jump, just test this on your own. I don't have very strong sounds right now, but in order to feel more of the jump, it is recommended to try this with headphones.

Version Log:
v0.3
- Some animations for environment is added (Birds and moving boat).
- Sound improved a bit.
- No more vegetation on the terrain, they ridiculously decreases the performance.
- Performance increased a lot. (It is highly recommended that you run application with your GPU)
- Image effects added.
- Camera now rotates and shakes as the player body rotates.
- Fixed skybox problem (Manual skybox added since interestingly enough OVRCamera does not support default Unity Skyboxes)
- Press [R] to jump again.

v0.1
- Initial Release

Download for Windows here (v0.3): http://goo.gl/5jttxv
Download for Mac OSX here (v0.3): http://goo.gl/63IDby (not yet tested)

v0.1 Windows: http://goo.gl/gzyvOI
v.01 Mac OSX: http://goo.gl/4k614M

I hope you like my first attempt on developing for Oculus Rift.
Any kind of feedback is appreciated and evaluated for the next release. I would like to hear your ideas about how to improve such a demo. :)
Last edited by merttoka on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
merttoka

Re: Bungee Jumping 0.1

Postby PiperAlpha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:33 am

Downloaded but won't run on my PC. (Windows 8 issue maybe?) Looks good though. Great idea!
PiperAlpha- Order #: 507** - Location: UK East Yorkshire - Status: PROCESSING since July 24th, 2013
Patiently waiting and creating my desktop folder of all things Oculus
PiperAlpha

Postby merttoka » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:27 am

PiperAlpha wrote:Downloaded but won't run on my PC. (Windows 8 issue maybe?) Looks good though. Great idea!

I checked the download link and rar files, they both working correctly and the downloaded content seems to be working fine. What kind of problem do you encounter? What is the error message?
merttoka

Postby PiperAlpha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:07 am

merttoka wrote:
PiperAlpha wrote:Downloaded but won't run on my PC. (Windows 8 issue maybe?) Looks good though. Great idea!

I checked the download link and rar files, they both working correctly and the downloaded content seems to be working fine. What kind of problem do you encounter? What is the error message?

My laptop doesn't have a decent graphics card though so I'll try it on my computer at home. Although that also has windows 8 on it.

What version are you running on?
PiperAlpha- Order #: 507** - Location: UK East Yorkshire - Status: PROCESSING since July 24th, 2013
PiperAlpha

Postby merttoka » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 am

@PiperAlpha I tried on Windows 7 and 8, but they were fine. Is your computer 32 bits or 64 bits? May be that is the problem.
merttoka

Postby Zhartho » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:14 am

This would be so sick over a water fall or even off a tower. Really excited to try it out :D
Zhartho

Postby PiperAlpha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:41 am

merttoka wrote:@PiperAlpha I tried on Windows 7 and 8, but they were fine. Is your computer 32 bits or 64 bits? May be that is the problem.

Laptop is 32, home is 64. Don't worry, I'll take a look at home. Might just be my aging laptop.
PiperAlpha

Postby merttoka » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 am

Zhartho wrote:This would be so sick over a water fall or even off a tower. Really excited to try it out :D

One of the features in my mind is to be able to choose maps to bungee. In future versions, I can add those. Thinking that they are relatively simple, it shouldn't be much of a problem. :)
merttoka

Postby DannyO » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Can't wait to try this when I get home.

Would be pretty awesome to also have a level where the bridge is over a large body of water, and just as you get close to the water and are about to sling back up, have a Great White jump out the water and try and bite your head off, have it come so close you can smell its breath. :twisted:
DannyO

Postby mdzura117 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Mac OS X version doesn't launch at all... I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.4
mdzura117

Postby paulybarnes » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Ok tried it out. (Windows 8 user here) Cool concept, few critiques.

Love the bird noises...but the wind sound is really distracting me because it justs sounds out of place. My opinion is to have no wind at all when your at the top. Just ambient bird noises. However, when you jump and your descending have something that sounds more chaotic like this...

http://youtu.be/d-_q-md80VQ?t=5h44m41s

Also the height and speed of the fall didnt give me that "OH CRAP!" feeling. Maybe more height or increase speed? Not sure.

Oh. How bout a Restart and Quit command.

THanks for making this man, keep it up.
-: Pauly :-
===================================
LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1 CHECK IT OUT!

~ The Rift, it's so bad. ~
paulybarnes

Postby merttoka » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:26 am

mdzura117 wrote:Mac OS X version doesn't launch at all... I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.4

I added a new release. I would be glad if you take a look at it and test it. I will test the application on a few Macs this week.
merttoka

Postby merttoka » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:33 am

paulybarnes wrote:Love the bird noises...but the wind sound is really distracting me because it justs sounds out of place. My opinion is to have no wind at all when your at the top. Just ambient bird noises. However, when you jump and your descending have something that sounds more chaotic like this...

http://youtu.be/d-_q-md80VQ?t=5h44m41s

Please take a look at the changes in new version. The sounds at the top is just like you said.

paulybarnes wrote:Also the height and speed of the fall didnt give me that "OH CRAP!" feeling. Maybe more height or increase speed? Not sure.

Yeah, you are totally right. I tried to solve that problem as much as possible with the new version.

paulybarnes wrote:How bout a Restart and Quit command.

I forgot about the Quit command since you can always quit with Alt-F4 on Windows and Cmd-Q on Mac, but with [R] key, you can restart the application. So if you want to find bugs or enjoy more jumps, you don't have to quit and launch again. :D

paulybarnes wrote:THanks for making this man, keep it up.

Thank you for trying and spending time to criticize it :)
Last edited by merttoka on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
merttoka

Re: Bungee Jumping 0.3 (UPDATED)

Postby Cycho » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:32 am

The quit command in Unity on Mac is Cmd + Q.
Cycho

Postby theprotagonist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:28 am

Mac Version .3 doesn't start on Mac OS X 10.8.3 as well. Looking forward to trying it when it works!
theprotagonist

Postby kingzope » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Any reason I can only see this on one eye? The other is just a white screen.
DK1 Order No: 574XX (US)

DK2 Order No: GP-1055XXX
kingzope

Postby conlan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 pm

0.3 Mac version not working for me either (10.8.3).
conlan

Postby merttoka » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:39 am

kingzope wrote:Any reason I can only see this on one eye? The other is just a white screen.

It's interesting, I can see both eyes perfectly.
merttoka

Postby Shadwell » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 am

maybe a little more speed, and some more bunjee spring back action. definately a restart or quit option like after 20 or 30 seconds of swinging at the end. the only other thing possible then would be a change of scenery. but really great idea, especially for someone that wouldn't do it in real life to try.
Shadwell

Postby molton » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:05 pm

PiperAlpha wrote:Image

Windows 8 reffers to programs as apps huh? this is why Microsoft is doing so poorly, they want us to believe that PC's are dead and we are just using a big, restricted smartphone. Thank you Oculus Rift for showing the truth, PC's aren't dead, Microsoft might be in a couple years if they don't figure out they can't dictate how we use computers.
molton

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos