Oculus Developer Forums

MS Flight Sim X (FSX) confirmed working with Rift!

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

MS Flight Sim X (FSX) confirmed working with Rift!

Postby OmniAtlas » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Immersion is incredible! Gauges are actually quite readable! I need to do more experiments with larger planes and tubeliners

I got it to work with FaceTrackNoir (pre-alpha release supports the rift), and Vireio Perception. I'll post up a tutorial and more feedback soon.
OmniAtlas

Re: MS Flight Sim X (FSX) confirmed working with Rift!

Postby Gabeb » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Awesome work, can't wait to try it.
Gabeb

Postby OmniAtlas » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:13 pm

To get this working with fsx.exe --

You'll need - Facetracknoir build 20130428 2.7 http://speedy.sh/J2RjC/ftnoir-posix-20130428-2.7z (pre-alpha 2.8) or above, and Vireio Perception.

Go to the Perception/cfg folder and edit profiles.xml - add FSX (copy from the other profiles) with the following settings:
game_type="0" game_exe="fsx.exe". Your profile should look something like this --

<profile game_name="MS Flight Sim" game_exe="fsx.exe" game_type="0" separation="0.00358799" convergence="-0.02" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

Go to the Perception/bin folder - copy the 3 dlls to your FSX directory (where fsx.exe resides): d3d9.dll, hijackdll.dll, libfreespace.dll

Start FacetrackNoir (ftnoir.exe), set the first Tracker Source to "Rift". Set the Game Protocol to "FreeTrack 2.0"
You need to edit the curves to allow free head movement. It should look something like this -

Start perception.exe, and select "Oculus Rift" in the drop down menu with "No Tracking".

Put on the rift and in the Go! box click "Start"

Start FSX.exe -- make sure your video settings within FSX is set to 1280x800x32

Enjoy!
Last edited by OmniAtlas on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OmniAtlas

Postby nickanderson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Can you tell us where you are getting face track? http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm this site has 3.0 which does not match up to the version you listed, previous versions do not match up either.
nickanderson

Postby OmniAtlas » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:07 pm

mm0zct (FaceTrackNoir author) has told me I can share the alpha file.

You can download the file here -- http://speedy.sh/J2RjC/ftnoir-posix-20130428-2.7z
OmniAtlas

Postby ReT » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 pm

That sounds sweet! Any chance of uploading a little clip for us on YouTube showing how it looks? :D

Its only way those of us who havent received our Rifts yet can get our fix in! :P
ReT

Postby LeonBrazil » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 am

Just tried this with the demo of FSX.

I followed the procedures and the noir tracking looked like it was working fine.
Started perception.
Fired up the FSX.exe demo and when I run the game, the viewports are way up high on the screen.
In the front end, it displays my microlight in two viewports, but when the game starts, they are squashed at the top of the screen. It doesn't look like the tracking is working either once in game.

This looks like it could be super fun if I can get it to work, maybe it is because it is just a demo version of FSX. :?
LeonBrazil

Postby OmniAtlas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:57 am

LeonBrazil wrote:Just tried this with the demo of FSX.

I followed the procedures and the noir tracking looked like it was working fine.
Started perception.
Fired up the FSX.exe demo and when I run the game, the viewports are way up high on the screen.
In the front end, it displays my microlight in two viewports, but when the game starts, they are squashed at the top of the screen. It doesn't look like the tracking is working either once in game.

This looks like it could be super fun if I can get it to work, maybe it is because it is just a demo version of FSX. :?

Change your in-game resolution. I had that problem until I switched to 1280x1080p. Sometimes switching from window to full-screen mode helps as well; try ALT-ENTER to switch between the modes.
OmniAtlas

Postby space123321 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 am

I experience the same issue - squished image at the top of the screen. I was able to correct this a few times by esc out of flight however immediately going back to flight. When I do get the rift dual images to work, my landscape is totally broken consisting of garbage lines. My cockpit is in tact however nothing outside of the aircraft is not.

The other thing that I question - "shift o" turns on mouse view - I am hoping that the rift tracker can be married to this as this would simply be a dream come true lol!

Also - the one time I had fsx menu up and running, the rift was controlling my mouse cursor.
space123321

Postby OmniAtlas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 am

space123321 wrote:I experience the same issue - squished image at the top of the screen. I was able to correct this a few times by esc out of flight however immediately going back to flight. When I do get the rift dual images to work, my landscape is totally broken consisting of garbage lines. My cockpit is in tact however nothing outside of the aircraft is not.

The other thing that I question - "shift o" turns on mouse view - I am hoping that the rift tracker can be married to this as this would simply be a dream come true lol!

Also - the one time I had fsx menu up and running, the rift was controlling my mouse cursor.

Not too sure if I can be too helpful -- setting it up was a bit of a miss and go for me. Just make sure you have your screen resolution set correctly.

I don't understand why you need the mouse view turned on; the rift is already tracking with the facetracknoir interface i.e I'm getting full head motion views 360 degrees by turning my head.
OmniAtlas

Postby RobD » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 am

Just had a go at this, and it's close, but not really working.

I've got it full screen at 1280x800, but the warp that Perception is adding is wrong. I've got it set to Oculus Rift mode, but it seems like it's putting the images too far apart.

Looking at your screenshot, the left and right eye merge together in the middle. With mine, there's a gap between them. It makes it impossible to resolve the image.

One question: When you're setting up the Perception profile, what are you using for separation and convergence? Do you leave it blank or copy the values from a particular other profile?

The head-tracking didn't work at all. It's working inside FTNoir, but FSX just seems to ignore it.
RobD

Postby mbuehler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 am

From what I understand, the demo of FSX does NOT have TrackIR support, so it won't work. I couldn't get it working on the demo either, but I am downloading the full version right now so will give it another go soon.

I had the same problem with the video, it randomly would or wouldn't work (didn't notice a pattern anyway). You can edit the cfg file to put a wider FOV in (Google for it) so it looks better once you are in.
mbuehler

Postby ianmacmillan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 am

Having similar issues as others. I setup everything, as per instructions, and I don't get any head tracking in-game (but it works fine in the 'preview' window within FTNR's user interface).

Note that I modified the curves in FTNR to give what I believe is a one-to-one track by simply setting the rx, ry and rz curves to 180/180. These settings do what I want in the preview window...now if I can just get FSX to make use of them.
ianmacmillan

Postby ianmacmillan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 am

OK, made a little progress.

1. I got head tracking working by selecting 'FSX SimConnect' under FaceTrackNoir's 'Game Protocol' section. I also had to invert the Pich axis under the Axis Inversion section (for safety, do the axis change when FTNOIR is 'stopped'...I found that if you changed it while running, it didn't take affect in FSX).

2. New problem: I get head tracking (minus roll) in the cockpit, but now the left stick on my XBox controller doesn't work.

3. The right stick still works for virtual cockpit view, but it's annoying if you accidentally move it because it messes with your current head-tracked view.

4. Running at 1280x800 gives a nice framerate, but it causes the ugly vsync tearing problem. I'm gonna turn down FSX's detail setting so I can run it at my primary display's native resolution (1920x1080)...this eliminates the vsync problem.

EDIT: ignoring the lack of XBox left thumbstick operation (a pretty big problem, granted), it works pretty good. The view inside the cockpit is a bit disorienting, though. It feels like the cockpit is rendered through a fish-eye lens, causing everything inside to be somewhat distorted. It's good, but it's not great (like, say, the view inside Heli Hell's 'copter, or First Law's spaceship cockpit). Also, it took only about 10 minutes of flying for the Rift's yaw drift to become obvious; I ended the flight with my virtual body sitting 90 degrees to the instrument panel. I had to keep my head turned 90 degrees left to be able to look out the wind screen. :)

EDIT 2: Roll works.
ianmacmillan

Postby bfetter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks a lot, this is really cool!

I set WideViewAspect=True in FSX.cfg under C:\Users\<enter username here>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and then hit the -/+ keys until I had what seemed like a reasonable FOV.

I also have the problem where it starts with the screens squished vertically and at the top of the screen, but fortunately the advice to press escape and continue flying several times until it corrects itself works.

I can also confirm that ianmacmillan's suggestion of 180/180 for all of the calibration curves worked well for me. I too didn't get head tracking working until using FSX simconnect as the protocol.
bfetter

Postby ianmacmillan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm

I mentioned in a previous post that the left thumbstick on my XBox controller wasn't working, and it turns out it's because the driver for the controller somehow got shut down. Please ignore that complaint.
ianmacmillan

Postby OmniAtlas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 pm

RobD wrote:Looking at your screenshot, the left and right eye merge together in the middle. With mine, there's a gap between them. It makes it impossible to resolve the image.

One question: When you're setting up the Perception profile, what are you using for separation and convergence? Do you leave it blank or copy the values from a particular other profile?

The head-tracking didn't work at all. It's working inside FTNoir, but FSX just seems to ignore it.

This is the setting I am using --
<profiles>
<profile game_name="MS Flight Sim" game_exe="fsx.exe" game_type="0" separation="0.00358799" convergence="-0.02" swap_eyes="false" yaw_multiplier="25" pitch_multiplier="25" roll_multiplier="1" />

Did you download the FTNOIR version I posted? There was a fork in development so you may be using a different version?
OmniAtlas

Postby OmniAtlas » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

ianmacmillan wrote:Note that I modified the curves in FTNR to give what I believe is a one-to-one track by simply setting the rx, ry and rz curves to 180/180. These settings do what I want in the preview window...now if I can just get FSX to make use of them.

How exactly do I do that? Which breakpoints in the curve do I drag to 180? How should the curves look?

Thanks!
OmniAtlas

Postby MrGeddings » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:33 pm

or you can just wait until the VorpX drivers come out, it should have support for Flight Sim X with headtracking. :-p
MrGeddings

Postby space123321 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm

OK - these settings work!!! Even after a number of red wines I was able to get these settings to work lol! Awesome work as up until this evening I have had nothing except for ray tracing lines! I will have to try out the tracking tomorrow - hopefully we can get the oculus tracker to work with roll etc... a dream come true however will have to wait until tomorrow lol - my bed calls me!
space123321

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos