Oculus Developer Forums

Oculus-ready UDK Now Available!

A place to discuss the Oculus-ready version of the UDK.

Oculus-ready UDK Now Available!

Postby nmitchell » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:32 am

Hey everyone,

The Oculus-ready version of the UDK is now available from the Oculus Developer Center!

You can download it right from the Downloads page:
Oculus Downloads

The documentation can be downloaded from the Documentation page:
Oculus Documentation

Discuss the Oculus-ready UDK over in the new UDK forum:
Oculus - UDK Integration Forum

We're looking forward to seeing what type of unreal virtual reality experiences you guys create!

-- Nate
nmitchell
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Re: Oculus-ready UDK Now Available!

Postby Cheshyr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

Excellent! Thanks for the hard work getting this together.
Cheshyr

Postby jayoh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 am

forking. awesome.
i'm building STV.RE
jayoh

Postby amilham » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:36 pm

Where is the Citadel demo? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to be included with the UDK.
amilham

Postby ganzuul » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Nate, could you recap on the difference between the UDK and UE3 for us?
ganzuul

Postby alagota92 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 pm

amilham wrote:Where is the Citadel demo? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to be included with the UDK.

open a map and go to the mobile folder it is in there
alagota92

Postby AgentElrond » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 pm

ganzuul wrote:Nate, could you recap on the difference between the UDK and UE3 for us?

I'm obviously not Nate, but the main difference is:

With the full UE3, it's quite expensive (I don't know the exact price, but think really big budget PC game engine price), but you get the engine source code so you can in theory change how low-level engine details work if needed.

With UDK, you get the full-featured engine (there MAY be some full UE3 specific features I don't know about, but the UDK includes most any major feature that I'm aware of). However, you do NOT get the source code to the engine itself. You can connect to custom DLLs you make, and you can write your own UnrealScript files to create games. Plus, of course the UDK is free, until you start selling something you make, and there are more details at that point.
AgentElrond

Postby rmcclelland » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:22 pm

alagota92 wrote:
amilham wrote:Where is the Citadel demo? Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to be included with the UDK.

When I open this and hit Play -> On PC, the head tracking is active, but not the stereo rendering.
rmcclelland

Postby AgentElrond » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:43 pm

rmcclelland wrote:
alagota92 wrote:

When I open this and hit Play -> On PC, the head tracking is active, but not the stereo rendering.

Instructions copied from another forum:

1) Download the new UDK from the Oculus Developer site.
2) Go to the folder C:\UDK\UDK-2013-03\UDKGame\Config\ and edit the UDKEngine.ini, (back it up first of course)
3) In the [Engine.Stereo3D] section, change the bEnabled parameter = True
4) Optional: in the [Engine.Oculus] section, change the bEnableHud parameter = False, (as the hud is kind of messed up right now).
5) Run the UDKGame program that installed with the UDK, (should be an icon on your desktop).

Also, if you get tired of walking around, you should be able to press ` or ~ to activate the console. Then, you can type "fly" and hit enter, and escape if necessary to go back to the game. Then you can fly around instead of walking.
AgentElrond

Postby ganzuul » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:17 am

AgentElrond wrote:I'm obviously not Nate, but the main difference is...

Close enough. ;)
ganzuul

Postby rmcclelland » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:51 am

Thanks AgentElrond, that did it. UE3 is definitely better looking on the Rift than the other demos available!

Now to figure out how to enable MSAA.
rmcclelland

Postby AgentElrond » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 am

rmcclelland wrote:Thanks AgentElrond, that did it. UE3 is definitely better looking on the Rift than the other demos available!

Now to figure out how to enable MSAA.

Try (I think in the same file) increasing the ScreenPercentage to 150 or 200. If your computer is good enough, that might give you higher quality graphics (downsampled from a high resolution) if I understand correctly.

On another note, is this version of the UDK crashing for anyone? I've had crashes with various things, but the most recent one was just plain starting the editor in DX11 mode. Crash, then I started again and it launched. Seems odd.

*edit* And now sound completely stops working every time I launch a game in a window from the editor. I had to use this workaround to fix it: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/888 ... -in-editor
AgentElrond

Postby cmfockler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 pm

The installer is failing on my Windows 7 SP1 laptop with this message:

"You must have at least Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed. Installer will now exit."

Any ideas?
cmfockler

Postby medrift » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 am

cmfockler wrote:The installer is failing on my Windows 7 SP1 laptop with this message:

"You must have at least Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed. Installer will now exit."

Any ideas?

I had the same problem but with Vista and the non Oculus-ready UDK and i read somewhere that you have to shorten the name of the install .exe and after doing that I managed to get it to install.

Just downloaded the Oculus ready UDK and didn't have any problem installing this on my Win 7 64-bit machine. Didn't have to rename anything.
Last edited by medrift on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
medrift

Postby maboo12 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:16 am

where do i get materials (textures) - there aren't a lot of these in the oculus udk...
maboo12

Postby cmfockler » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks maboo. I renamed the file to UDKInstall.exe and it then installed successfully. Not a very good first impression of UDK. :?

But then I loaded up and played the Citadel demo. Excellent second impression of UDK! My laptop seemed to handle it fine at mostly 60fps, but I was not rendering with the Oculus stereo warping shader. Will have to figure out how to turn that on and give it a real test.
cmfockler

Postby markkane » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 pm

It should perform fine, Epic Citadel is not a very demanding demo. Started out as a mobile Showcase IIRC. Can't speak for the other demo leves that are included though.
markkane

Postby s0uL » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Does anyone else get major screen tearing when playing maps in fullscreen mode? Everything is smooth as silk in the editor, and in windowed/maximized play windows. But as soon as I go into fullscreen it's getting ripped to shreds. Both on my PC monitor and my TV, no matter what settings (single, duplicate, extended, etc). I forced vsync through the nvidia control panel and that didn't help.

People with rifts and UDK, when you launch your maps on PC do you just maximize the window or go into real fullscreen mode? I've seen both in videos.

EDIT: Nevermind I got vsync working, was forcing vsync on the wrong program. duh.
s0uL

Postby jayoh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:25 am

s0ul, how do you ensure vsync is on?
i'm building STV.RE
jayoh

Postby tagrass » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 am

S0ul, I have my Rift connected in duplicate monitor mode and I do have screen tearing on my main monitor but it does not occur on the Rift. So it seems to be handling v-sync correctly while outputting to the Rift.

jayoh, you can edit the UDKSystemSetting.ini file, but according to areisse in This Post v-sync should be on by default apparently even though it doesn't say so in the UDKSystemSetting.ini
tagrass

Next

Return to Unreal Development Kit (UDK) Integration