Oculus Developer Forums

[RELEASE] Bigzilla - You are the giant monster

A place for developers to discuss VR Jam 2013, presented by Oculus and IndieCade.

[RELEASE] Bigzilla - You are the giant monster

Postby ChiggenWingz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:52 am

So we finally got it done!

Bigzilla!
-->Download By Clicking Here <-- (link updated 13th Dec)

XBOX Controller
- Left Joystick = Movement forward/Strafe
- Right Joystick = Rotate
- Analog triggers = Punch with either or both arms
- Press both bumpers = Crash your arms downwards
- [A] Hold to charge laser breath, release to fire
- [Select] To reset Oculus view
- [Start] Restarts the game

Just this weekend the team were crunching away to get as much in as they could. Worked all the way through to Monday morning (cause we're in Australia) to get in as much as possible.

A lot came together really quick, and other things took far longer than expected. Destruction proving to be a real pain to get just right for fun and performance.

We had a lot of things that we wanted to add, and a lot more things that we wanted to polish up on, but the hours just kept slipping by.

All in all, I hope ya'll have a bit of fun with it, we're keen to hear back from everyone's experiences. Maybe we'll work on it a bit more after this jam, but I think the rest of the team are keen to get some sleep :P

=====================================================================================================
=====================================================================================================
ORIGINAL POST

So the working title is "Bigzilla" but it will probably change in the near future.

Basically the main focus currently in the game is to give you a sense that you are in a big monster in a city with people, military, tanks, cars and such all scampering around below you. We're aiming to have some sort of destructible environment and classic big monster movie action. How much of that we can pull off, we shall see.

The actual gameplay will evolve as the game develops. Instead of trying to lock things down right away, we're going to add to it, and see what is fun and whats isn't. Theres no use focusing on something like giant monster vs giant monster combat if we find its much more fun to bash through buildings, squish people and kick tanks.

Sadly we estimated we won't be able to do any justice to multiplayer functionality in such a short time, so no multiplayer for this jam.

So far what you're seeing in these shots is a quick screen grab from a prototype I've been putting together to play around with a sense of scale and how things might look. All art so far has come from the unity asset store, or from other websites out there. All free art so far. Each of the giant monsters in the prototype I threw in for their body shape. By moving the view into the position of their head you can look around and see how your body would look like as you roam through the level. Annoyingly, I haven't found a free cliche godzilla 3d model to throw in to compare with the others.

So far we have 2 programmers, 2 artists, and myself Mr Misc skills. Due to commitments and other things, most of the team have been focused elsewhere for the last two weeks, so progress will be a bit slow on our part :P

We're happy to hear feedback from people, as its always motivating to hear from people who have the time to write back good or bad. I mean the reason we do these game jams, is because we want people to play our games, just like a short movie maker wants to have an audience enjoy his film.

To that ado, I give you the first prototype build. Its very rough around the edges and isn't super use friendly. Its purely there for a sense of scale. Movement and collision is in a debugging state and will not behave like this in later builds. Our aim is to actually have a slow moving character, to help alleviate motion sickness that many non VR savvy people seem to get :lol:

DOWNLOAD original proof of concept (not final version) --> http://users.on.net/~infernoraven/oculus/BigzillaV1.zip

Have fun people! Theres more to come :mrgreen:

Oh, press the A button on your Xbox controller or [CTRL] on the keyboard while playing ;)

Last edited by ChiggenWingz on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
ChiggenWingz

Re: [WIP] Bigzilla - You are the giant monster

Postby IJke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:24 am

This sounds great, the Rift will really help give the player the feeling of being giant.
IJke

Postby inmediastudio » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:55 am

Looks nice! Good luck!!
inmediastudio

Postby Serk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 am

Great concept! You could also add hydra support so that you can punch buildings and stuff with your own hands :mrgreen:

That said, I didn't feel like I was giant when trying the demo, more like I was flying between buildings. The monsters did feel giant, though they should not if I'm supposed to be their size.

I think it has to do with the IPD. The game showed my measured IPD of 61.2mm. I'm guessing if you scaled that distance by the same ratio the player's height is being scaled, it would change that perception.

Good luck!
Serk

Postby ChiggenWingz » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Serk wrote:Great concept! You could also add hydra support so that you can punch buildings and stuff with your own hands :mrgreen:

That said, I didn't feel like I was giant when trying the demo, more like I was flying between buildings. The monsters did feel giant, though they should not if I'm supposed to be their size.

I think it has to do with the IPD. The game showed my measured IPD of 61.2mm. I'm guessing if you scaled that distance by the same ratio the player's height is being scaled, it would change that perception.

Good luck!

Interesting, I'll focus more on playing around with the IPD. Problem in the past I found with IPD is when you get close to things, they just look really bad. But yeah I'll muck around with it a bit more.

As for Hydra support, none of us have one, so probably wont be going down the avenue for a bit.

Cheers
ChiggenWingz

Postby HappyHimitsu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Sounds like fun! I just finished my UDK work for the day so it's time to break out the Rift and play some games!
Good Luck with the Rest of your project!!

:)
~A stone rolls not off the path of it's own accord~ -JT
~Let go or be dragged~ -Zen
'Be Wary of Geeks bearing Gifts....' -trojan/win32.war
HappyHimitsu

Postby ChrisJD » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:11 pm

I really like the concept. Alternative perspectives are a potentially cool use for VR.
ChrisJD

Postby LoneCoder » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am

I totally wanted to do a game like this for the challenge, but don't have time to take a shot at it.

Way to go to implement by dream game! I was hoping to do some classic Rampage style game play. Climbing buildings and breaking them down while eating things and fighting tanks and helicopters.

Please you've gotta implement a classic godzilla breath attack while playing sounds like this: http://www.soundsnap.com/godzilla_yell
LoneCoder

Postby UrbanHunting » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm very excited for games like this to be in development with all the attention being given to GIANT monster movies at the moment. Godzilla on the way in 2014 means there will be a definite desire by consumers for anything even remotely related. Kudos and good luck on the project, I will be following this thread!
UrbanHunting

Postby ChiggenWingz » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 am

Please you've gotta implement a classic godzilla breath attack while playing sounds like this: http://www.soundsnap.com/godzilla_yell

Currently we have one of the programmers investigating interesting particle effects. We're hoping to have some sort of beam attack. Cheers for the sound effect link :D

We just purchased http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/184170-Ultimate-Fracturing-amp-Destruction-editor-extension-for-Unity-3D after looking at the different destruction plugins for Unity. We have a couple of ideas how we'll approach breakable buildings, and part of the team will be mucking around with that.

So far we'll be focusing on destruction, as the two other oculus big monster games seem to be focusing on combat. ;)
ChiggenWingz

Postby Kirenus » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:14 am

Nice.

Rampage for the Rift.
Kirenus

Postby draxov » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 am

This looks very fun, good idea, changing the players perspective to someone who is massive! :D
draxov

Postby klyemar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 am

I hope you post a video after Milestone 2, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

We're picking up that destruction addon too, but I can tell the effect will be pretty different. It looks like your buildings are scaled fairly big compared to the player? I like that, all the better for venting my frustrations! :mrgreen:
klyemar

Postby ChiggenWingz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Finally able to log onto Oculus forums, it wigged out and wasn't letting me post replies and such.

So in this video I'm still showing off the test level I originally setup and some basic concepts we were playing with. We're slowly making progress with all the bits of the game. This weekend we're been wrapping our heads around destruction, models of the city and various other bits and bobs. Hopefully a better sense of progress in the next few days :)
ChiggenWingz

Postby whoisonline » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:40 pm

.. nice vid .. an the sound .. lol
whoisonline

Postby klyemar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 am

Looking good my friend. :)

The fracture tool is a fun but difficult utility to work with and I like what you've been able to do with it. That's Ultimate Game Tools right?
klyemar

Postby ChiggenWingz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:44 am

Just an update that we're not dead yet

Level is coming together, and we're still wrestling with the destruction system, trying to work out ways to make it look good but not destroy the performance.

We have cars and tanks that follow nav points, and Bigzilla is finally getting animated.

Also laser breath makes buildings explode :D
ChiggenWingz

Re: [Release] Bigzilla - You are the giant monster

Postby ChiggenWingz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 am

Updated the first post with release download and updated pictures.
ChiggenWingz

Re: [RELEASE] Bigzilla - You are the giant monster

Postby klyemar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:09 am

Good times were had by all when I realized that shots could be charged up. :D

Good work on the destruction too, I think you pulled it off in a convincing way and my computer's performance didn't take a hit at all.
klyemar

Re: [RELEASE] Bigzilla - You are the giant monster

Postby ChiggenWingz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:13 am

Fixed the broken download link. :o
ChiggenWingz

Return to VR Jam General Discussion