Oculus Developer Forums

[Demo] Gargantua SMASH!

A place for developers to discuss VR Jam 2013, presented by Oculus and IndieCade.

[Demo] Gargantua SMASH!

Postby klyemar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Gargantua SMASH! is submitted, and I'm happy to say that my partner and I have completed our first ever game-like thing.

Bugs abound, there's only one level, and the AI has about five behaviors spread between the lot of them, but we are pretty satisfied that we've made it to this point.

Setting
It's a brawler, so you can punch, charge punch, release an energy blast, block, and pick up and throw buildings that shatter on impact! Your goal in the one mission is to protect all of the important objective structures (Seattlites might recognize Smith Tower tucked away in there), save at least 20% of the buildings, and do so in 3 minutes. If you're incapacitated, you can't move for ten seconds while they have their way with your town.

Controls
The controls are keyboard and mouse optimized, by the game pad works in theory-

LMB or Right Trigger - Melee
Hold Melee ( + directional keys) - charged melee ( + directional attack)
RMB or Right Shoulder - Special Attack w/ 10 second cooldown
Mouse 3 or Left Shoulder - block
E or X Button - pick up tall buildings and throw tall buildings
Shift or Left Trigger - run

I LOVED working on this, and will be happily do so for the foreseeable future. I'm going to keep a dedicated post to this game in the forums, maybe I will see you there?

Here's the download link for you. I can't promise that I'll be able to play many of these in the coming days preparing for PAX, but I will certainly be trying. :mrgreen:

=============================================================================

Good morning fellow jammers. :)

With Milestone 1 out of the way, I thought it would be a good time to show what I and my two roommates/teammates have been working on for the Jam.

The game is called Gargantua SMASH! and it pits you, a gigantic robot protector, against monsters who are set to destroy all human cities. The game is a first person brawler, with attack moves in the style of Punch Out (jabs, hooks, grabs, counters, and the like). Your goal is to kill all monsters in a given level, while keeping nearby property damage to a minimum. Tension comes in the form of different monsters with different strengths, many smaller minion monsters, human weapons and traps, and other scenarios that will hopefully give the player a sense of challenge.

The human environment is highly destructible, small buildings collapse as you or the monster walk over them, larger buildings can topple over crushing everything underneath. Buildings show their damage and burn as the battle rages on around them.

That's what I envision in my head, at least. This is our first attempt at anything like this, so we're picking up a lot as we go. The bulk of the work has gone into the systems, code, and streamlining the asset pipeline, so it isn't much to look at yet.

I hope you guys like these shots, and best of luck in the competition!

Last edited by klyemar on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
klyemar

Re: [WIP] Gargantua SMASH!

Postby ChiggenWingz » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Nice! It'll be interesting to see your approach to make the player feel huge :mrgreen:
ChiggenWingz

Postby klyemar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:49 am

Hey all! I thought I'd poke my head out of my small room and show off what I've been able to whip together so far. :D

Everything has been a slow, incremental progression toward completing most of the cut and dry essential features of the game. Directional and charged attacking has been implemented, as well as visible progressive damage. The floating text is a stand in for what will eventually be the total destruction count in $$$, which will be instrumental in unlocking bonuses as you play through the campaign.

I've started work on the enemy monsters today, and have added methods for setting a default color and slowly progressing it to red as they become more damaged.

I should stress that almost no final assets have been added so far, and there hasn't been a chance to polish the look and feel or design yet, hence the extremely rough look. Also pathfinding is about as basic as can be for now and there is absolutely no AI. I'm counting my lucky stars that we still have almost two weeks to go...
klyemar

Postby klyemar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:23 am

This is another incremental post. Spent the past two days working out the user control and crosshair. I've made the crosshair contextual, so it will be able to switch icons when an attackable object is in range, and eventually when the player is charging various attacks. It's also depth sensitive, and appears to rest on top of nearby objects.

Enemy attack has a little weight to it now with knockback and a particle effect that spawns when the enemy dies. I'm working with legacy Particle Colliders for the special attacks as well. BURN BABY! :twisted:

Sorry for the potato capture quality, have to work with what I've got at the moment.

klyemar

Postby whoisonline » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:14 pm

reminds me a bit of the old rampage .. great vid. youtube subscribed and liked :-)
I can't wait for the demo.
whoisonline

Postby klyemar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 am

This is footage from the Milestone (which feels like weeks ago now) that I didn't think to post on Friday.

This video features additional icons for the player's contextual actions (directional attack, charged attack, charged special attack) as well as unique color palettes for enemies that dynamically shift to red as the enemy becomes more damaged.

I'm most excited about the addition of building destruction with Ultimate Game Tool's fracturing tool. Tall structures are chopped into rigidbody chunks that can be manipulated either through physics or through code.
In this video, the fractured objects break apart through code when the player punches the object. In my most recent build (no footage yet), some buildings may be picked up and thrown and will break apart on impact! :D

klyemar

Postby ChiggenWingz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:02 am

How are you finding the Ultimate Game Tool's fracturing tool?

We're not getting the results we were hoping for. We cant have a bunch of fractured objects sitting around in the scene ready to be broken as the framerate goes out the window.

A trick for optimizing we've found so far is to change the minimum collider volume up a fair bit (I'm currently toying with a value of "100") so that some of the building pieces have basic box collision. This ends up causing some of the pieces to go flying out when you smash a building, but the result I find is just more fun, to see the occasional piece explode away. But with a majority of the building set as basic box colliders you'll get a big performance gain.

Also make sure you remove broken fragments really quickly, if they linger about, frame rate starts to die as the player tears more pieces from the building.

Also remember each piece is casting and receiving shadows, so that will kill your framerate too. We're still experimenting with ways to maintain a building shadow without the need for every piece to be casting shadows.
ChiggenWingz

Postby klyemar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:39 pm

I used an approach that's as untested as it is convoluted. :lol:

There are four classifications of building: small, medium, large, and gigantic. The large are the only ones that can be fractured, or picked up and thrown. The scale of it all helps out quite a bit because these buildings are roughly as tall as the player, meaning that 15 chunks in a building is enough to really have an effect without being too taxing. I've found that having them vanish quickly off-screen is not too jarring, so I'm mostly sticking with that.

The convoluted part comes with the execution. It is supposed to take multiple hits to destroy and ultimately shatter a building and I'm using a custom shader that blends the primary texture with a damaged one, so I have to have a stand-in mesh render and collider that receives the hits and shows the damage. And, because the buildings can be picked up and thrown, this component has a rigidbody. To prevent conflict and reduce cost, the shards are all held in a disabled gameObject that is enabled on destruction (the original render and collider is destroyed at this point). It took a while, but the effect ended up being very pleasant and doesn't seem to have too much of a cost.

I actually just uploaded that I took a few days ago showing off the menu system, GUI, level select screen, and building destruction. The capture software made my FPS drop to a crawl though:

It was still pretty rough at that stage, but it's a bit smoother now. Combat is last on the chopping block before design and testing.

It sounds like you had to find a pretty convoluted approach too. ;) I'm glad it's working for you. Good luck in the sprint to the finish!
klyemar

Re: [Glorified Tech Demo] Gargantua SMASH!

Postby klyemar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:21 am

Finished.. I almost don't know what to do with those extra eight hours in the day. :)

Link and details are in the original post.
klyemar

Re: [Glorified Tech Demo] Gargantua SMASH!

Postby ChiggenWingz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:23 am

Feels good to finally get it done hey? :D
ChiggenWingz

Re: [Demo] Gargantua SMASH!

Postby klyemar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:54 pm

I haven't been able to address the core gameplay because of PAX this week, but I did have a chance to fix some of the biggest game breakers and have also added the controls to the zip file as well as the first post. There is still a lot to change to make this a quality release, enemy animations and music for instance, but those changes will be coming within the next few days.

Controls
The controls are keyboard and mouse optimized, by the game pad works in theory-

LMB or Right Trigger - Melee
Hold Melee ( + directional keys) - charged melee ( + directional attack)
RMB or Right Shoulder - Special Attack w/ 10 second cooldown
Mouse 3 or Left Shoulder - block
E or X Button - pick up tall buildings and throw tall buildings
Shift or Left Trigger - run

Updated download link, version 0.2

Fixed:
Mouse not locked to single screen
Menu not appearing when pressing the pause button in game
No level boundary
Unnecessary level select screen
No sounds on enemy attack
No sound when player becomes incapacitated, this caused confusion as it wasn't obvious that the player had become damaged and couldn't move
klyemar

Return to VR Jam General Discussion