Oculus Developer Forums

Leaked information about future Oculus headsets?

Share and discuss any and all Oculus related topics.

Leaked information about future Oculus headsets?

Postby rmcclelland » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am

Saw this article on PC Perspective at MTBS forums.

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/ ... s-Rift-ECS

Includes sales projections, a second (1080p) dev kit, and a prototype render of a consumer version. Whoa.

Not sure if this is April fools or not, looks legit to me. We'll see if it gets taken down soon.

Industrial design of consumer prototype is kinda ugly IMHO. I'd like to see a shiny front with the cameras hidden maybe. Looks like something Sony would make more than something Apple would make.
Last edited by rmcclelland on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
rmcclelland

Re: Leaked information about future Oculus headsets?

Postby StanleyP » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 am

Looks legit to me. Apart from a second hi-res dev kit there's nothing in that article that I haven't heard before.
StanleyP

Postby rmcclelland » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 am

They've talked about a higher-res second gen dev kit before. Makes total sense. Hopefully will also have position tracking of some kind.
rmcclelland

Postby rtjonesjr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:56 am

This was a presentation by Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe.
Duh.
Last edited by rtjonesjr on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rtjonesjr

Postby MrGeddings » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Good infomation some thats not stated before much. So Consumer Kits projected to be about 3rd quarter of 2014 makes since ..gives over a year for dev kit feedback and such

Its very nice to see Minecraft listed as not much word at all was stated about that. so "hopefully" maybe behind the scenes Mojang is working to get offical minecraft support Lets hope so! That would rock!

wait a SECOND Dev kit version by the end of the year? :-( i hope thats not true or they offer some sort of trade off.....but oh well :-p
MrGeddings

Postby Sparhawk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:37 pm

I actually don't mind that consumer render. It's not the prettiest thing i've ever seen, but for what it is I in no way think it looks bad. I definitely prefer something more original like this, than the generic popular look.
Sparhawk

Postby Cheshyr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 pm

If it's still up tomorrow, we can debate. The thing that kinda breaks it for me is the suggestion of Wireless 1080p at 60Hz by the end of 2014... especially give the low latency requirements. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Cheshyr

Postby CURTROCK » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Wow! That's quite the piece of news, coming right on the heels of GDC. Great to see that Oculus is moving full steam ahead with VR as a viable business model. This ads more confidence that the RIFT isn't just another VR gimmick.
CURTROCK

Postby rmcclelland » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:41 pm

Sparhawk wrote:I actually don't mind that consumer render. It's not the prettiest thing i've ever seen, but for what it is I in no way think it looks bad. I definitely prefer something more original like this, than the generic popular look.

Actually, as an engineer I kinda like it. Basically, it packages all the components as minimally as possible. Light is way more important than pretty.

Sony tried to make the HMZ-T1 cool and futuristic looking, but it just ended up being heavy and uncomfortable.

Still would look like a robot strapped on your face, which I don't mind, but the general population might.

Yes, I realize I'm speculating on a concept. I'm sure Oculus will nail it.
rmcclelland

Postby Oneironaut » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 pm

This being posted on April 1st on only one website that I've never heard of makes me think it's fake.
Oneironaut

Postby huttybangbang » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Fake or not :)

Oculus Hut
- A big fat slice of VR

A page I made about surfing the virtual reality web!
Firebox VR Room 45: http://zion.vrsites.com/1/45
YouTube VR Web PlayList: http://bit.ly/QvZmcV8
huttybangbang

Postby mwilcox » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:18 pm

Looks pretty legitimate and it all makes sense, but I doubt this article received permission from OVR, note the confidential text on the bottom of the slides, etc. Bit shitty of them to release this over Easter as well, they're not giving Oculus much time to react.
mwilcox

Postby rtjonesjr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:29 pm

The first slide has "Emerging Companies Summit" on it.
NVIDIA's 5th Annual Emerging Companies Summit was March 20, 2013. (part of GTC 2013)
See: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidias-e ... 00091.html
Oculus is listed as a presenter.
That's where the slides seem to have come from. And I would say that some of the slides were already out of date.

From the first link of this thread: " the Oculus Rift hardware is now shipping to developers as the rev 1 developer kit. Oculus VR will manufacture 10,000 developer kits"

My take away from that article is that OVR planned to build only 10,000 rev 1 developer kits; these would get the ball rolling. While those are being built and shipped, OVR is currently working on rev 2. Of course one would need/desire something closer to the final consumer specifications for rev 2.

People in the forums have mentioned their order number is in the 40,000's.... :shock:
rtjonesjr

Postby s0uL » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:35 pm

rtjonesjr wrote:The first slide has "Emerging Companies Summit" on it.
NVIDIA's 5th Annual Emerging Companies Summit was March 20, 2013. (part of GTC 2013)
See: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidias-e ... 00091.html
Oculus is listed as a presenter.
That's where the slides seem to have come from. And I would say that some of the slides were already out of date.

From the first link of this thread: " the Oculus Rift hardware is now shipping to developers as the rev 1 developer kit. Oculus VR will manufacture 10,000 developer kits"

My take away from that article is that OVR planned to build only 10,000 rev 1 developer kits; these would get the ball rolling. While those are being built and shipped, OVR is currently working on rev 2. Of course one would need/desire something closer to the final consumer specifications for rev 2.

People in the forums have mentioned their order number is in the 40,000's.... :shock:

There are large gaps in the numbering system. Basically 43,000+ is really somewhere around 10,000-11,000.
s0uL

Postby rtjonesjr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:39 pm

s0uL wrote:There are large gaps in the numbering system. Basically 43,000+ is really somewhere around 10,000-11,000.

I was not aware of that, Thanks for the info. (I saw an Order no. 047044)
rtjonesjr

Postby nmitchell » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey everyone,

To clarify all this:

Those slides were from our business/vision presentation at Nvidia's GTC conference. The information from that presentation (dates, concepts, projections, etc...) represent our vision, ideas, and on-going research/exploration. None of it should be considered fact, though we'd love to have that projected revenue! ;-)

A lot of people have been asking about the rendering of the headset in particular. That's one of many concepts of what the consumer version of the Rift might look like, but we haven't finalized anything for the consumer version yet. We're still in the drawing/concept stage.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused! We have a lot of exciting projects underway to make Oculus virtual reality more compelling. More official information will be revealed when it's nailed down.

Shameless plug: If you're interested in working with us to make this vision a reality, email us at careers@oculusvr.com!

Thanks again,

-- Nate
nmitchell
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby WormSlayer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:29 pm

I'd apply in a heartbeat if I thought you would actually hire me - Interested in opening a UK office? :P
WormSlayer

Postby Gabeb » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 pm

One thing I think we can take from the concept art; Once they can find a decent supplier they will shift back to a 5.6" screen like that in the old demo unit. Makes sense, it'll be lighter and make for less wasted screen space. What about the little cameras behind the face I wonder...
Gabeb

Postby darren » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 pm

They have to release another dev kit. It will require higher resolution and positional tracking.

The original ski goggle design looks great. Even the current dev kit looks great in my opinion. That silver Gordi Laforge-like visor that you posted, I agree that it looks butt.

I do hope the company doesn't blow through 2 million and I do hope they don't waste it on butt project designs.

This far, it's really amazing how they've grown in just a few months and about so much they've accomplished. I don't know how or how it would even be possible to come out with a butt looking product design and screw everything up at this point.

I don't even know how it will be possible to switch to a 5.6" display after everybody gets acclimated to a 7" display.
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft
darren

Postby JOHIsaac » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 am

A camera or better two in it is good, I planned to connect one once my DEV Kit is here.

1) you can switch between Monitor and Camera mode to grab a coke or look who entered the room without removing the whole device from your head.
2) Augmented Reality - if the camera signals are given to the computer and not only to the device itself.
JOHIsaac

Next

Return to Oculus General Discussion