Oculus Developer Forums

HydraDeck - UDK Citadel (Updated to v1.3)

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

HydraDeck - UDK Citadel (Updated to v1.3)

Postby Teddy0k » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Hello Rifters,

I've been working on a few new control schemes for the Oculus Rift with the Razer Hydra, and have come up with this;

Edit: v1.3 download link
Download here: https://mega.co.nz/#!hZBSGJiA!d2uV9yhTuPFh8XEPa-RqGhbpb3hPGLvgJN7QLmh7bsQ

Edit: A few people have asked me for the source code to this, so here it is;
https://mega.co.nz/#!4cAgTZgT!dK2XYzjgiV_7zrJ5JzypkVyguDgqGjjv_JoGMGGRxFU

You attach one Hydra wand to your chest and use the other Hydra joystick to walk forwards backwards. The camera is fully controlled by your head & body, so you literally have to turn around to walk the direction you want. I've tested this out on a few friends who got motion sickness in other demos, and they didn't feel any!

The chest Hydra also allows you to move around (e.g. duck down) and inspect the environment close up. I think this gives a really good feeling of immersion.

I've created this little exploration demo in UDK's Citadel level to show this off. I've hidden 10 golden orbs around the starting area, which you need to collect before you can proceed to the castle. Some of the Orbs are hard to find, and you'll need to reach up or in to grab them with your Hydra wand. A bit like an easter egg hunt!

Once you get to the castle, there's another 20 golden orbs to find. Collecting all of these will open the gate to pick up the JETPACK HANDS (like IronMan) and let you fly around the world.

WARNING: Be careful there's nothing breakable around you, my wife already knocked over a glass of wine last night!

Also, check the Readme.txt for a bunch of .ini settings you can tweak, if you're so inclined.

v1.3 Changelist
-Added new prototype control method. Instead of using the stick to walk around, you can walk in place

v1.2 Changelist
-Updated with new tracking and calibration code from the Hydra Cover Shooter v0.3 demo
-Improved frame rate

v1.1 Changelist
-Simplified calibration procedure
-Fixed bug in calibration that reversed positions sometimes
-Fixed virtual Hydra wand and safety barriers jittering when you walk
-Reduced visible distance on safety barriers from 32 cm to 16 cm

v1.0 Changelist
-Fixed Hydra's losing position when you go below the base (e.g. when you duck)
-Added new calibration start up process, which is more robust
-Added HMD calibration to the start button of right Hydra. (hopefully this is only temporary, as UDK is still using v0.1 Oculus SDK)
-Changed from just offsetting camera position to moving the player position when you walk around. This means you can strafe IRL to avoid obstacles as you walk! Also fixes problems
-Added a safety barrier sphere, which will become visible when you get too far from the base. This tells you when you're about to run out of cable!
-Added a warning when you've turned too far, so you don't get tangled in the cables
-Fixed rotation of Hydra wand going wonky (gimble lock)
-Tweaked jetpack physics a tiny bit
Last edited by Teddy0k on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
Teddy0k

Re: HydraDeck - UDK Citadel demo with no motion sickness!

Postby Qix » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Great stuff. !! I will give this a go when I get my rift. Id like to see how the rift and hydra feel together. Good thinking using that bag. :)
Qix

Postby LuckyLu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Nice one.

You should really allow for turning with the hydra sticky too tho for seated play, the cable tangling is a nightmare.
LuckyLu

Postby drash » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:22 pm

I think you must have read my mind, because just today I was thinking that the UDK Citadel is really great but is missing some polish that makes it truly suitable for demos (and yet I know nothing about UDK etc). I think you've done a fantastic job here both in polish and also giving the player something to do! Requiring the collection of 10 orbs to gain entrance to the castle seems like a really great incentive. And I love how you've incorporated the Hydra controller model into the game itself. And I like how walking forward is based on your actual body's rotation. That's very cool and leaves the player to be able to look around while walking toward some destination, as it should be!

With that said, there are a couple of things that I would like to see tweaked to make it perfectly demoable in my eyes:

1) After trying it the first time, I am no longer able to fire it up a second time (via the HydraDeck shortcut) without a crash during the UDK splash screen. Windows 8 64-bit here.

2) I'm not clear on how to calibrate the left hand for reaching out and touching orbs. When I reach out with my hand all the way, the hydra controller is basically about a foot from my face. In addition, if I want to reset my orientation, it doesn't seem to reset the hydra controller's orientation, so it's still back where I left it yet now my body is facing a new direction.

Thanks for sharing this, and I hope you keep going with it! :)
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby darren » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:30 pm

This is good indication that the Rift and hydra should both be wireless, what do you think?

Also... It would be interesting if there's some way you can get it to be auto configured, such as by having them touch their shoulders or something.

Also... If you don't have PERFECT correspondence in your positional tracking, and if you don't have ZERO drift, and if you don't have adequate range, then it's just not ready for prime time. Either the hydra technology will advance and this will be "the way" that we do human motion detection, or... There could be some solution with a technology like the Playstation eye or the Kinect or some other yet-unknown and superior device or method.

Most likely, you are poised to recognize those limitations in the current generation. And... Most likely we will hear some proposals from Oculus in the near future, and (I predict) by this time next year.

The need will produce the necessity.
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft
darren

Postby tomt610 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Hey, nice thing, but there is a problem of cable not allowing for more than 1 turn around. For this, and hydra to work well with games there would be something more needed. What I thought of is a belt that is having cables from base station to you plugged in a moving part that would go around you as you turn, always staying on side where hydra is, and another part that is in front of you and you have your controllers plugged in there. This way you would be able to move around without limit. I am not really sure how to do thing like that, but I am sure that someone here will figure that out. I have made simple showing idea, i am by no means graphic master :P

Also attaching image since i am not sure if this one will display.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomt610

Postby wesleyb82 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:59 pm

This is awesome, well done. Positional tracking in heli-island-oculus-hydra was good, but this takes it to a whole new level. I was totally lost in it, almost forgot which way was forward. I also had to get used to steering with my chest, looking with the head or stick is what I was trying to do at first. I also tried walking while moving which was great (BTW I quickly exited the demo after I thought I heard my wife wake up and come into the room since she would have caught me walking in place in my shorts wrapped up with wires at 1am)

I am also have the crash during the second load after installation, using W64 as well. The console also popped up in my face after collecting the 7th orb by the stream under the bridge (error message was something about a missing sound) but it's possible a cable struck ~. Which brings me to my last point, wow the amount or wires and the short length of the wires is suddenly very apparent. Anyway good work, this is really great.
wesleyb82

Postby blazespinnaker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Cable management is a huge pain with the Rift and standing up. I solved this by bringing it down from the ceiling

The cables still twist somewhat. Hopefully we can make all of this stuff wireless soon.
blazespinnaker

Postby Teddy0k » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:43 am

Whoops, sorry about the crash on second run through. It's missing a few registry keys, here's a hotfix;
https://mega.co.nz/#!IdJSBZ5R!EBxCJFbTskKEjiWQzCSQoDfS1XFfhiSVnXVYZ-BWcXU

Note: the .reg file is set up for the default install dir (C:\Program Files (x86)\HydraDeck). If you installed it else where, edit the .reg file before installing it.

I'll try to get the fix into the installer soon
Teddy0k

Postby Inscothen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:18 am

You could have the attached left controller to your chest but still have the player be able to use the buttons for actions and the stick for moving.

The physical movement of the controller as you use it would hardly impact your avatars movement i think.

Also not being able to see your avatar's left hand move as you do would be weird. Maybe have a dummy hand in game on your chest like holding a coat closed. That way when using the left controller you'd at least get back some of that connection you have with your character.

With this setup, with the right stick you could control how open the hand is making grabbing things more like how we do naturally but you thumb would control it instead.

up on the stick is all the way open or could be used to poke or push virtual objects like buttons/switches

stick not being used is open, ready to grab

down is closed hand used for holding objects or making a fist to punch an enemy.

you could make it so if holding an object and moving stick to right or left allow using the object actions in hand, like using a lighter/torch to illuminate dark spaces

if holding down on the stick(to hold object) letting go would be like dropping it. or if you track the controllers 3d movement, you could make your character throw(when you stop holding down). it'd be kinda like how we throw in real life.
Inscothen

Postby danworld » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:00 am

Yes, good job!

Two things that will really help with motion sickness are positional tracking and no controller rotation. And you've put that in to your demo!

Unfortunately, my hydra (second one now) isn't working properly, so I can't give this demo a go.

But in all first person demos using an xbox controller, I simply never use the stick rotation. I rotate my body. I put a thread about this up in April: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=773
danworld

Postby dubster » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 am

darren wrote:This is good indication that the Rift and hydra should both be wireless, what do you think?

I'm surprised noone has thought of that before.
dubster

Postby sinoth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:52 am

dubster wrote:
darren wrote:This is good indication that the Rift and hydra should both be wireless, what do you think?

I'm surprised noone has thought of that before.

The hydra prototypes were wireless, and even had rumble! (google "sixense truemotion" to read more)

Unfortunately, to cut costs they dropped rumble and to reduce latency they dropped wireless. Hopefully we'll see a Hydra 2 at some point with these features reintroduced.
sinoth

Postby Teddy0k » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 am

luckylu wrote:You should really allow for turning with the hydra sticky too tho for seated play, the cable tangling is a nightmare.
For this demo, I made a conscious decision to avoid having any turning or strafing using the joysticks, as I found I would automatically go into "video game" mode and not use my body to interact with the world.

drash wrote:1) After trying it the first time, I am no longer able to fire it up a second time (via the HydraDeck shortcut) without a crash during the UDK splash screen. Windows 8 64-bit here.

2) I'm not clear on how to calibrate the left hand for reaching out and touching orbs. When I reach out with my hand all the way, the hydra controller is basically about a foot from my face. In addition, if I want to reset my orientation, it doesn't seem to reset the hydra controller's orientation, so it's still back where I left it yet now my body is facing a new direction.
The crash should be fixed in the new installer, or if you apply the registry patch above.

The left Hydra wand should be attached to your chest, did you do it the other way around? Also, I always have the buttons facing the ceiling, not sure if this makes any difference.

The calibration does both the Hydra and the Oculus Rift rotation, as I find the Rift has quite a bit of yaw drift over time. While playing, I usually have to re-calibrate every 10 mins or so.
Teddy0k

Postby metulski » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 am

can someone tell me how to download from mega?
Download Bar is at 100% but no File on the Computer :-(

UPDATE: worked the second Time. First Impression. Can not reach the second orb. Hydra kabel is to short :D
metulski

Postby Teddy0k » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 am

If you're having trouble reaching things, or you can't see the hydra wand in the rift when you hold it in front of you, try re-calibrating.

Also, after playing for a while, you may drift away from your original position. If you look down, there's a tiny little black cylinder. If you step back towards that, you'll be back where you calibrated.

I'm thinking of making this a bit bigger and easier to see, as almost everyone seems to wander away after reaching around for a few orbs. It breaks immersion a little to have to keep doing that tho
Teddy0k

Postby drash » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 am

metulski wrote:UPDATE: worked the second Time. First Impression. Can not reach the second orb. Hydra kabel is to short :D

Just wanted to make sure that you know you can take the plastic piece where the two hydra controller cables meet and slide it all the way down until it stops, giving you a lot more cable to use for each hand.
Titans of Space - current version is 1.37 (released Oct 14th), available for Win/Mac/Linux.
Translations are available at the official website.

Blog & other VR projects: DrashVR.com.
drash

Postby sbnewsom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 am

You did it! Exactly what I discussed in theory in my thread a month ago. Though if only we can make the Chest tracking a third controller instead of relying on Controller0.

I wish there was a way to use two Razer Hydra systems. One is for general control and the other can be used for additional tracking and can be broken apart and added to some sort of harness.
-Stuart Bradley Newsom

Portfolio: (Coming Soon) http://sbnewsom.com
sbnewsom

Postby Teddy0k » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:47 pm

sbnewsom wrote:I wish there was a way to use two Razer Hydra systems. One is for general control and the other can be used for additional tracking and can be broken apart and added to some sort of harness.
I wonder if there might be? In the Hydra SDK, it makes reference to multiple bases units and more than 2 controllers. Has anyone tried plugging two in at once?
Teddy0k

Postby mrgreen72 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Teddy0k wrote:If you're having trouble reaching things, or you can't see the hydra wand in the rift when you hold it in front of you, try re-calibrating.

Also, after playing for a while, you may drift away from your original position. If you look down, there's a tiny little black cylinder. If you step back towards that, you'll be back where you calibrated.

I'm thinking of making this a bit bigger and easier to see, as almost everyone seems to wander away after reaching around for a few orbs. It breaks immersion a little to have to keep doing that tho

I did that but the virtual Hydra stays way too close to my body.

You re-calibrate pressing a button on the left controller right? And where the right one should be when you do that?
mrgreen72

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos