Oculus Developer Forums

[RELEASE] Gorgon

A place for developers to discuss VR Jam 2013, presented by Oculus and IndieCade.

[RELEASE] Gorgon

Postby Booradley » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 pm

We made it! Below is a link to the build we submitted. It's multiplayer but it has a lobby/room system, so you'll be able to create rooms and jump into rooms to play with each other

http://www.emeraldactivities.com/Gorgon.zip

Game Controls: (Keyboard / Mouse only)
WASD / Arrow keys - Movement
Mouse Left Click - Attack
Tab - Menu
F11 Toggle fullscreen

Oculus Rift Controls
- Decrement IPD
= Increment IPD
P Toggle prediction
[ Decrement FOV
] Increment FOV
5 Decrease neck height
6 Increase neck height
B Reset orientation

Our game takes place inside Medusa's temple. 1-4 soldiers work together trying to taker he down each round. The player playing Medusa can gaze into soldiers faces to turn them into stone. They can also use their bow and arrows to pick off the pesky soldiers who keep looking at the ground.

Soldiers will be equipped with a sword and shield. To kill Medusa they must get right up to her and land a hit. All without directly looking at her of course :D

We're hoping it ends up as a stealthy scary game of hiding behind pillars and listening for footsteps and slithering sounds.

We'll do our best to keep updating this thread with progress as we go. It's really cool to see the awesome stuff everyone is doing for the jam :D

Here is a video demonstrating the multiplayer part of our game. We've also got reflections in so the soldiers will be able to use the backs of their shields to look safely at Medusa. Sorry it's so dark.

Let us know what you think!
Last edited by Booradley on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Booradley

Re: [WIP] Gorgon

Postby Waymanapps » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:21 am

I like it man, keep up the good work!
Looks creepy, can't wait to see more!
Waymanapps

Postby whoisonline » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

likewise .. can't wait for demo
whoisonline

Postby sbrezhnev » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I gotta say, it's an awesome idea and great concept! Very excited to check it out!
sbrezhnev

Postby Punkerella » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks guys!

We are really excited about it, Booradley is working on rigging the gorgon right now and I am just finishing up the soldier. I would like to get a female soldier model in too, but I am not sure there will be enough time. I will post screenshots and such of the art when my forum account lets me :)
Punkerella

Postby Punkerella » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Yay! I can post images now. Here are my WIP characters ;)

Punkerella

Postby Kilobyte » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:07 pm

This sounds like a great game idea, definitely makes good use of the Rift's strengths. Can't wait to see what you come up with, I'm very excited by all these multiplayer concepts being discussed.
Kilobyte

Postby Punkerella » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:25 pm

Kilobyte wrote:This sounds like a great game idea, definitely makes good use of the Rift's strengths. Can't wait to see what you come up with, I'm very excited by all these multiplayer concepts being discussed.

Ya, I am not someone who is normally into aggressive multiplayer or FPS style games, but for this idea it just seemed to work. Needing to actually look at things like reflections and having a "gaze" attack seemed great for the oculus rift. Plus I loved the idea of doing a game with a gorgon where she was actually cool. She is normally not near as strong an enemy as she should be, and I hope she wins more often than the soldiers ;)

We probably would have put in a single player version as well, but I just don't think there will be time to get it done. I do art/design... but poor Booradley has to do all the code plus the animation and rigging. And we normally work in flash, so we are a bit slower with 3d ;)
Punkerella

Postby Booradley » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Here is a video showing the head tracking applied to our rigged Medusa model. So far so good :D Just a few clipping issues to sort out in the camera view. The head tracking is also broadcast over the network so players will actually see where everyone is looking.

Booradley

Postby Punkerella » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Tonight I am working on a statue of Athena to go on the temple pedestal :)

Punkerella

Postby sbrezhnev » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:53 pm

If you are playing as Medusa, do you have infinite amount of arrows? Or do you have to find ammo from corpses of killed soldiers? Quake3 style gameplay? Because that would be neat.
sbrezhnev

Postby Punkerella » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:57 pm

We haven't looked at anything that complex yet. At first it will probably be unlimited... though after we have actually been able to play through some matches we will tweak it for sure. I am also considering having arrows that hit the shield, knock the shield away from the soldier. Soooo many things to test :)
Punkerella

Postby ajames123 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:11 am

I think this is my favourite concept for VR Jam so far. The Medusa scene from clash of the titans (1981) was a favourite of mine growing up.

* I noticed in the current view from Medusa the snakes seem to cover too much of the screen. It probably work better to only just have them a little bit in the view otherwise it may frustrate the player. Will they be moving or static?

* As far as Shields go ,it probably be best they get destroyed/dropped after 1 or 2 hits. I imagine the sense of panic once you have lost your shield and can hear her coming would be quite good :mrgreen: I imagine you will find some balance after testing it.

Good luck, cant wait to see more. :D
ajames123

Postby Punkerella » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks! We are really happy to have an idea that requires the rift to work. And thinking about that scene (and fps style games) is what gave me the idea :) Though I am not recreating their environment or characters because I don't feel like getting in trouble, lol.

The snakes won't be in the view like that, Booradley was just testing his rig, we are not sure how they will be posed/animated in the final gorgon. Once both rigs are finished and in game, and we have some "attacks" we will start figuring out pose stuff and balance issues. She is such a crazy character that he had to build her rig from scratch, default ones don't work so well with snake tails and hair :)

I do love the idea of dropped shields. I am really hoping we get to put that in, and that it tests well :)
Punkerella

Postby inmediastudio » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 am

Looks great!!
inmediastudio

Postby Booradley » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for the feedback guys :D

The snakes will definitely be moved out of the main vision once I get Medusa animated this weekend. They will be hovering around in her peripheral vision.

We should have some more updates to post soon!
Booradley

Postby Booradley » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Here are some new screenshots showing how fun mirrors can be!

And a video of it in action, though it's quite dark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmO7xtwSXh0
Booradley

Postby Punkerella » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:22 pm

It is really amazing to be in there looking around now, I still need to tweak the scale on some stuff... but it is starting to feel crazy. Looking at "myself" as a gorgon in the soldiers mirror was really cool. I don't really have any art stuff to show tonight because I am doing the UVs for the environment, less than exciting. But tomorrow I should be able to start making textures and such :) We will for sure post a demo since our game is multiplayer and hard to test by ourselves, but we have to get more of the game play finished first.
Punkerella

Postby sbrezhnev » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:28 am

wow that video was 2spooky4me! amazing work, can't wait for demo :)
sbrezhnev

Postby nymb » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Nice! Lookin forward to this one!
nymb

Next

Return to VR Jam General Discussion