Oculus Developer Forums

Official OculusVR TF2 Server

A place to talk about Oculus-ready games and demos that can be used with the Rift development kit.

Official OculusVR TF2 Server

Postby Dycus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 pm

We have a TF2 server now!
It's encouraged that you play using a Rift, though not strictly required. See the wiki page on using the Rift with TF2 if you need help.

The server address is tf2.oculusvr.com
Current server name: Official OculusVR TF2 Server | West Coast
Current map rotation:
- 2Fort (CTF)
- Badwater (Payload)
- Goldrush (Payload)
- Hydro (Territorial Control)
- Badlands (Control Point)
- Hightower (Payload Race)

Rules - not many, other than your standard no cheating/vulgarity stuff. Don't be annoying, don't use inappropriate sprays, yadda yadda, you know the drill. You'll be muted/kicked/banned/warned/etc at my and the other admins' discretion if you're being stupid, but I'm sure you'll all be fine.

You can also do standard stuff like !votemap <mapname> if enough people want to change maps, !votesilence <player> if somebody is spamming voice or chat, and !votekick <player> if somebody is being particularly annoying or cheating. These commands are executed by typing them in the chat.

Find us by going in the server browser and searching for "oculusvr" as a tag. However, that can often take a very long time, so you can also go into the favorites tab and add a new server manually (we are your favorite server, right?).
Or, my favorite method, just open the console (~) and type connect tf2.oculusvr.com. If you can't open the console, go into options, keyboard options, advanced, and check "Enable developer console."

Sorry it's only 24 players! We may add more servers in the future depending on how often the current one is full. If you guys have any recommendations for plugins (within reason - I still want it mostly vanilla) or gameplay, you can talk about them here. I realize there's a lot of payload maps - I like them a lot. Suggest maps to be added or taken out.

Have fun!

Dycus
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Re: Official OculusVR TF2 Server

Postby norgoth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 am

thanks
norgoth

Postby jayoh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:34 am

hey, put 'em up jack!

i'm building STV.RE
jayoh

Postby zino » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 pm

You might want to make sure auto update is enabled. It's currently out of date, and no one can connect.
zino

Postby Gabeb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 pm

West coast? I'm in Korea, so a California server is quite viable, but east coast is just lag city.
Gabeb

Postby LockeDown » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm

So who in forums plans on playing tonight?

I have to work until about 7:30pm PDT but hoping to be on by around 8pm PDT.

I have not a chance to attempt to connect to the server but hoping things are back up and running and updated.

I think an hour should be good enough for only second time playing TF2 with the Rift ;)

I MAY be able to leave work early -- get everything set up and be on @6 and hop off to get some work done around 7 and come back on.

Very excited to play with the Oculus VR community and staff. Hope to see you online!
LockeDown

Postby cybereality » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 pm

I'll be playing.
Oculus VR - Community Manager
cybereality
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby RedWorm » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:25 pm

http://i.imgur.com/ndgjd0B.jpg

It was fun dominating almost half their team with 200 latency. Best part was when Nate got pissed about it :D
RedWorm

Postby LockeDown » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:30 pm

RedWorm wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ndgjd0B.jpg

It was fun dominating almost half their team with 200 latency. Best part was when Nate got pissed about it :D

Nice. I was just glad to be able to play with the Rift and the team. I was not dominating that's for sure. I was on the primary server. Hopefully I can finish up this work soon and hop back on.
LockeDown

Postby Capyvara » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:58 pm

My ping was so bad (350+) that I had to pick medic or engineer:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=140190681
Capyvara

Postby LockeDown » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks again Oculus for putting that together. Was really fun.
LockeDown

Postby Dycus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 pm

zino wrote:You might want to make sure auto update is enabled. It's currently out of date, and no one can connect.

I'll have to see what I can do about that, because strangely enough, there's no autoupdate option in the gameservers.com GUI, and it's not in the command line by default. I think I might be able to contact them about it, though.
Dycus
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby feilen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Since there's the two overflow servers and all, have you thought about adding some additional maps to the third? You could easily throw in some fun/experimental maps to the third server, to diversify a bit. (Balloon race, large maps, 'surf' maps)
A MvM server might also be good, but I would leave that until there's some solid way to limit to only VR users.
feilen

Postby alvion » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 am

I'm getting "server not responding" when I try to connect. Is the server still up?
alvion

Postby Dycus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Apparent they're doing a server migration right now. They say it should be done around 2pm PST.
Dycus
Team Oculus Team Oculus

Postby lnrrgb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 pm

I don't see it either. The MTBS3D one hasn't updated either, so no joy for now. I suppose one could venture into the unrifted masses.... but why taint ourselves? :)
lnrrgb

Postby Klepto » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm

When I start TF2 in -vr mode, I get regular screens up until I try and get into a game, and then I get split screen, not Oculus-style, but direct split. Is there some switch I'm missing? The instructions at http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_User_Guide do not help. Do I need to change my monitor setup? I've tried extended desktop and cloning, both ways (1 off 2, and 2 off 1) and that didn't work. The Tuscany demo works fine in cloned mode. Using x64 windows, but my TF2 works fine without Oculus.

Let me know if there's another forum for this to go in...Thanks for the help!
Klepto

Postby Devilstower » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 pm

It looks like Valve has released a TF2 update that breaks Oculus compatibility.

Any word on a fix, Oculus folks?
Devilstower

Postby SirKnightTG » Wed May 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Devilstower wrote:Any word on a fix, Oculus folks?

It's not an Oculus problem but a Valve problem, and Valve is looking into it.
SirKnightTG

Postby vrdev » Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Ahhh, I wondered why I couldn't get TF2 working with the Rift. Only just got mine 2 days ago so excitedly trying out all the demos and things in the meantime, but thought I must be missing some simple step with TF2, as it was just loading the game normally despite the -vr command line addition. Hope Valve sorts it soon :)

**edit**
Heres a fix apparently
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=777&start=20#p8239

--update--
All working now! In case anyone else has the same silly issue, in the launch options mine were surrounded by quotation marks, maybe thats how steam used to accept these, not sure, as I didn't add them recently. In any case, removing the quotation marks surrounding the various launch options such as -vr fixed things for me.
Last edited by vrdev on Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrdev

Next

Return to Oculus-ready Games and Demos